Looking to upgrade my SSD, is larger faster?

Romano
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

M.2 is just a connector. You can have NVMe and SATA M.2 drives, NVMe are the "fast" ones. SATA M.2 is the same speed as SATA, just with a different connector and form factor. 

Discussed this with @Ryan_Vickers the other day. Seems like there's not much truth to larger SSDs being faster with the exception of 4KB Random writes at a Q depth 32. Everything else is pretty much all over the place in terms of capacity/speed. It's something you hear all the time, but doesn't seem like it's actually true. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/8

The Pro will be the fastest in most cases, but it's not worth the extra money IMO. 

If you're using the drive for games, don't bother with NVMe drives, it will make basically no difference in load times. They're excellent for copying large files and as editing/scratch drives, but for booting, OS use, games and the like, they're not really any faster than normal SATA SSDs in terms of real world performance. 

I would advise not going for NVMe and just spending the money on a larger SATA SSD. It will perform the same for loading games, booting, OS use and most everyday tasks but you can get larger drives for the same price.

I never had a M.2 SSD I heard they are fast as hell, but I believe I read somewhere that larger the capacity the faster the SSD is this true?

I currently have a 850 Evo 250 GB but I feel its very small for current games

so I'm between:

Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB = $128

Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB = $248

Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB = $289

selling in my country is not good idea, so I will keep the 850 EVO, might use it for other games and go with the 250 GB version to save money? or just go with the 960 PRO, is it really that fast comparing to the 960 EVO?

what do you guys think?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

Pro isnt worth it and I have an evo which is also not worth it. They arent that much faster in opening stuff. Get the highest capacity 850 evo.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Just now, Romano said:

I never had a M.2 SSD I heard they are fast as hell, but I believe I read somewhere that larger the capacity the faster the SSD is this true?

I currently have a 850 Evo 250 GB but I feel its very small for current games

so I'm between:

Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB = $128

Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB = $248

Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB = $289

selling in my country is not good idea, so I will keep the 850 EVO, might use it for other games and go with the 250 GB version to save money? or just go with the 960 PRO, is it really that fast comparing to the 960 EVO?

what do you guys think?

You will not notice the difference between the Evo and Pro.   Get the 250GB and save your money, 500GB SSD is plenty if you aren't hoarding games you don't play

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

M.2 is just a connector. You can have NVMe and SATA M.2 drives, NVMe are the "fast" ones. SATA M.2 is the same speed as SATA, just with a different connector and form factor. 

Discussed this with @Ryan_Vickers the other day. Seems like there's not much truth to larger SSDs being faster with the exception of 4KB Random writes at a Q depth 32. Everything else is pretty much all over the place in terms of capacity/speed. It's something you hear all the time, but doesn't seem like it's actually true. 

The Pro will be the fastest in most cases, but it's not worth the extra money IMO. 

If you're using the drive for games, don't bother with NVMe drives, it will make basically no difference in load times. They're excellent for copying large files and as editing/scratch drives, but for booting, OS use, games and the like, they're not really any faster than normal SATA SSDs in terms of real world performance. 

I would advise not going for NVMe and just spending the money on a larger SATA SSD. It will perform the same for loading games, booting, OS use and most everyday tasks but you can get larger drives for the same price.

10 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Last time I heard it wasn't the size of the ssd but the number of nand chips on the actual drive that made an impact on the write speed if the count is too low. For example the MX100 128gb (terrible write performance) vs the 512gb. Since the nand chips are in a RAIN controlled by the controller.

I thought that NVMe SSD's were way faster than SATA SSD's for games or boot OS timing, what a disappointment :(

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Found this: Wsdr_ESOSpyTRzNg9s2hZg.png

Now it all makes sense

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

1 hour ago, Romano said:

I thought that NVMe SSD's were way faster than SATA SSD's for games or boot OS timing, what a disappointment :(

The important difference in sequential and random read/writes. NVMe drives are monsters when it comes to sequential read/writes, they will smoke any SATA SSD easy. They're also faster in every way on paper and benchmarks, but it doesn't translate to real world performance. 

When loading small amounts of data randomly, having super faster data transfer speeds becomes useless. Beyond a certain point (basically, where SATA SSDs are right now) it just doesn't make any difference for things like booting and loading games. SATA SSDs will surely become slow in the future as data sizes and drive capacity increases, making NVMe and other super fast storage solutions worthwhile, but we're not there yet. 

15 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The important difference in sequential and random read/writes. NVMe drives are monsters when it comes to sequential read/writes, they will smoke any SATA SSD easy. They're also faster in every way on paper and benchmarks, but it doesn't translate to real world performance. 

When loading small amounts of data randomly, having super faster data transfer speeds becomes useless. Beyond a certain point (basically, where SATA SSDs are right now) it just doesn't make any difference for things like booting and loading games. SATA SSDs will surely become slow in the future as data sizes and drive capacity increases, making NVMe and other super fast storage solutions worthwhile, but we're not there yet. 

Thank god I made this question here, my main goal was to launch games faster, booting faster programs too like Photoshop, but seems like I will be better with a 850 Evo of 500GB, thanks for the info mate

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC