The gtx 970 odyssey

Zubringer

So, I recently bought a evga gtx 970 sc, installed it on my pc, booted, and boom, error 43. So I searched for every bit of information I could get, reinstalled drivers, took the graphics card out then tried with my old r7 360 and it worked. So at this point I realized the pci express isnt faulty(msi h81m e33), nor is the power supply (evga 500w). So I grabbed the card and went to a friend's house, tried it in his computer (Can't remember the mobo, but it supports 7th gen intel processors and it's quite expensive, and a 650w power supply) and it worked perfectly, player battlefield 1 with no problems for several hours. So I tried in other computers just to find the problem, and it worked perfectly in every computer that had a 6th gen or superior processor. At this point I don't even know that the problem is, and nobody is able to help me. If you want any other detail I can give you some insight on everything that I've tried so far.

My specs: I5 4460 - msi h81 e33 - evga gtx 970(?) - hyperX red 2x4gb ddr3 - Evga 500w power supply

Did you try using DDU with your 370 in place to remove all the AMD drivers then shut down and install the 970? 

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Zubringer said:

So, I recently bought a evga gtx 970 sc, installed it on my pc, booted, and boom, error 43. So I searched for every bit of information I could get, reinstalled drivers, took the graphics card out then tried with my old r7 360 and it worked. So at this point I realized the pci express isnt faulty(msi h81m e33), nor is the power supply (evga 500w). So I grabbed the card and went to a friend's house, tried it in his computer (Can't remember the mobo, but it supports 7th gen intel processors and it's quite expensive, and a 650w power supply) and it worked perfectly, player battlefield 1 with no problems for several hours. So I tried in other computers just to find the problem, and it worked perfectly in every computer that had a 6th gen or superior processor. At this point I don't even know that the problem is, and nobody is able to help me. If you want any other detail I can give you some insight on everything that I've tried so far.

My specs: I5 4460 - msi h81 e33 - evga gtx 970(?) - hyperX red 2x4gb ddr3 - Evga 500w power supply

Yeah, boot into safe mode and use a programme called DDU to remove all AMD and Nvidia drivers, then install the GPU back into the PC, boot, and install the Nvidia drivers, that should fix the problem

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, ApolloX75 said:

Did you try using DDU with your 370 in place to remove all the AMD drivers then shut down and install the 970? 

Yup, I even tried with a clean windows install, same result

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, boot into safe mode and use a programme called DDU to remove all AMD and Nvidia drivers, then install the GPU back into the PC, boot, and install the Nvidia drivers, that should fix the problem

As I already said, I've done that like 5 times now haha

Just now, Zubringer said:

Yup, I even tried with a clean windows install, same result

Yikes. Did you try clearing the CMOS with the new card in place?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

might have bought yourself a doa card.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

might have bought yourself a doa card.

Except he says it works in other machines no problem.

2 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

brb doing that

3 minutes ago, Zubringer said:

As I already said, I've done that like 5 times now haha

Was it from safemode? If that and a fresh install doesn't work, you'll have to do a CMOS reset and preferable flash the newest BIOS, there might be a bug with that card on the current firmware, although that is unlikely. Does the other GPUs run at full 16x in the board?

Yours faithfully

5 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Except he says it works in other machines no problem.

When the card is getting picky on what computer to work on it is time to sell it as soon as possible, OP just got himself in a bad deal.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Was it from safemode? If that and a fresh install doesn't work, you'll have to do a CMOS reset and preferable flash the newest BIOS, there might be a bug with that card on the current firmware, although that is unlikely. Does the other GPUs run at full 16x in the board?

Yes, safemode on, also the bios is fully updated

25 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

It's working for now, I'll let the computer sit there in idle for a bit while I eat then I'll test some games

4 minutes ago, Zubringer said:

It's working for now, I'll let the computer sit there in idle for a bit while I eat then I'll test some games

Awesome. Keep us posted.

38 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Awesome. Keep us posted.

I did the testing, when I open PUBG it freezes after 5-10 seconds then black screen, I have to reboot after that. That is something that did NOT happen in the others systems, so I think the power supply is the culprit

Know I tested league of legends, a way more less consuming game, and it runs just fine, so I think I might be right with this one

23 minutes ago, Zubringer said:

I did the testing, when I open PUBG it freezes after 5-10 seconds then black screen, I have to reboot after that. That is something that did NOT happen in the others systems, so I think the power supply is the culprit

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. Check the cables first to be sure they're in all the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're in for a new unit.

6 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. Check the cables first to be sure they're in all the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're in for a new unit.

Now I tested battlefield 4 and it runds at 20fps , I don't know what on earth is going on

23 minutes ago, Zubringer said:

Now I tested battlefield 4 and it runds at 20fps , I don't know what on earth is going on

Run MSI Afterburner in the background and monitor the GPU usage and clock speeds. See if it's clocking up properly and being utilized fully.

38 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Run MSI Afterburner in the background and monitor the GPU usage and clock speeds. See if it's clocking up properly and being utilized fully.

Doing this rn, it's pretty hot here so the card might be as well

So the card gets pretty hot, fans turn on, and the pc restarts :(

Psu I think, try and borrow a decent one and test

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Psu I think, try and borrow a decent one and test

Already tried that, and worked just fine. Now I did some testing with the fan speed at min and the core and memory clocks lowered too to see if it was the psu or not, I can play but sometimes it throws some artifact looking bugs and restarts. I think I will check the warranty of the psu so I can get a new one, this one might be faulty