RAM is used for what?

Everything.EVERYTHING. 

MOOOOAAAARRR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Helps if you have an APU :P

Faster RAM helps, you mean.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Everything.EVERYTHING. 

MOOOOAAAARRR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

And I have the very link for you :P

http://downloadmoreram.com/

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If you aren't lagging or getting annoying pop-ups saying your memory is low, you don't need more ram. It's that simple. :T

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

And I have the very link for you :P

http://downloadmoreram.com/

AAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS

MO' FUGGIN RAAAAAAAAAAAAM

AAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS

MO' FUGGIN RAAAAAAAAAAAAM

And it's free :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

"Ram is like your short term memory, just like your hard drive is your long term." - a common analogy

It's more like:

"Ram is like a counter in a kitchen, while the HDD is like the cupboard. when you run out of room on the counter, you clean up, and put away the less used items back into the cupboard. this however, takes time, and getting them back out again also takes a lot of time." - Maximum PC

I see, so i must get MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM. Lol jk. Thanks guys.  :lol:

Basically it is temporary storage where things gets stored for the computer to access since RAM is a lot faster than the hard drive but unlike the hard drive which is permenant storage, RAM is volatile which means the data is only stored on there while the machine is running and it is erased once you power down the PC.

If you don't have enough RAM for the tasks you are doing then you can start to slow down the machine, not sure if this works but kind of like a traffic jam, data gets into a backlog where as if you have more RAM then obviously more can be stored for the machine to access.

Hope that is pretty accurate but if not then I'm confident someone will correct me in a civilised manner :)

Basically it is temporary storage where things gets stored for the computer to access since RAM is a lot faster than the hard drive but unlike the hard drive which is permenant storage, RAM is volatile which means the data is only stored on there while the machine is running and it is erased once you power down the PC.

If you don't have enough RAM for the tasks you are doing then you can start to slow down the machine, not sure if this works but kind of like a traffic jam, data gets into a backlog where as if you have more RAM then obviously more can be stored for the machine to access.

Hope that is pretty accurate but if not then I'm confident someone will correct me in a civilised manner :)

Yeah it's exact. I saw the video that @Youbetternot posted.

Thank M-ursu for the video, he's the one who made it

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Sweet :)

I use this site all the time. You all like it huh?

Yea, I think we all use it when catering to our noobish desires :)

What will more RAM help for? Alt tabbing out of BF4, having more processes, more tabs on chrome or what else?

I have an awesome PDF file explaining RAM and teaching you everything about RAM ever, if you want to know what it really does. 

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ky432fgeama35ih/chap6.pdf

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/

Ram is for doing more stuff at once.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ram can be used in the future if you have the 840 EVO just look up the unboxing from Linus of the 840 EVO