Can only boot about a 1 out of 20 tries

Juggernaught

I have been struggling for some time with my machine.

• MSI X99 Godlike Motherboard
  • intel 5930k CPU
  • Corsair all in one H115i Cooler
  • 980ti
  • Kingston DDR4 Fury Hyperx 8GB x 4 (32GB)
  • Samsung sm951 m.2 Boot 512GB
  • Samsung Evo 850 Pro 1 TB Programs
  • Windows 10

The history to this goes back to August, but BLUF 3 motherboards later, different CPU, and finding that 2 out of the 4 RAM Sticks have gone to crap (which are being RMAed)  Currently when I boot it goes all the way through on the board, but I don't see anything on the screen.  This happens about 29/30 boots.  I had a corrupt m.2 sad and was finally able to get a usb boot to go through and I reformatted it.  The installation of the new windows froze though and my computer restarted and now I have to hit reset about 50 times before I get anything on the screen, but I see that my motherboard is showing the temperature of the cpu.  I have since gotten lucky and tried to install windows from the usb twice, but each time it freezes at different points in the process.  (New iso image and new usb stick).  Is there a hardware problem with my m.2?

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

I would point, without having had my hands on that machine myself, to ram and or storage device (ssd/hdd). 

I guess your are running everything at stock speeds without overclock. Try turning of the XMP profile if it is active to let the ram run slower to rule a faulty XMP out.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just to clarify, you installed windows from a live USB to a brand new m.2 drive? Not the drive you found out was corrupted?

To troubleshoot further I would recommend you grab a sata drive and try installing that way. If thats the case you can rule out problems with m.2 (whether it be the drive or the mobo)

At this point, you'd be better off ruling stuff out, so use a different SSD or even HDD to install windows on. If it still gives you trouble then the SSD may not be the problem at all.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

27 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

Just to clarify, you installed windows from a live USB to a brand new m.2 drive? Not the drive you found out was corrupted?

To troubleshoot further I would recommend you grab a sata drive and try installing that way. If thats the case you can rule out problems with m.2 (whether it be the drive or the mobo)

Negative I reformatted the original m.2 and am trying to install the OS back onto it through the USB, but it keeps freezing on the two times I have made it that far.  I only have one RAM stick in their as I found two of the 4 were bad.  I don't have an extra HDD or SSD laying around to test.  I guess I might take the one that I use for storage and try it on there

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

15 hours ago, Juggernaught said:

Negative I reformatted the original m.2 and am trying to install the OS back onto it through the USB, but it keeps freezing on the two times I have made it that far.  I only have one RAM stick in their as I found two of the 4 were bad.  I don't have an extra HDD or SSD laying around to test.  I guess I might take the one that I use for storage and try it on there

Just because you reformatted the m.2 doesn't mean that it fixed the problem. It is a possibility that there is something wrong with the drives hardware or a large amount of sectors have gone bad etc. Heck there might even be something wrong with the m.2 connection. If you don't have much you care about losing on your storage drive I think that would be the definition of a spare drive. If it does not work on that then we can rule out the m.2 . However the fact that it is freezing on your live boots it kind of concerning as an error with the drive shouldn't cause a total crash but you have seemed to replace aside from the drives so I would have a hard time seeing it be another problem.

• 2 weeks later...

For this problem I changed/replaced :   

• SSD/M.2
  • RAM
  • CPU
  • 4 MSI Motherboards RMAed

Nothing Fixed it and I finally got fed up with MSI and their Refurbished RMAs.  I purchased a new ASUS Sabertooth and voila works like a charm. So 4 motherboards were crap that MSI sent to me...I have yet to call them and let them know this.  Trying to figure out how I can get my money back...probably not even possible.