Dual GPU not working with Threadripper

I've put together a new PC for 3d modelling, rendering and illustration

Its a threadripper 1950 with x399Taichi, and a 1080Ti.

I also wanted to add a 780SC i have around so that CUDA based rendering will be almost twice as fast!

The cards work fine on their own on different systems, but as soon as i put them together in the threadripper, the 780 displays the yellow triangle in the device manager and gives Code 43

If i decide to uninstall the card and reboot nothing changes. He eventually finds the drivers installs them (they are the same for the 1080 anyway) and nothing changes.

If i decide to screen output through the 780, as soon as the nvidia drivers are installed the screen goes black.

Its so bad that if windows is loading, it freezes! i have started doubting that it is a freeze, and just a screenfreeze or the gpu failing somehow. Also had to do a couple of rollbacks to repair damage...

basically the 780 is detected but its a zombie dummy sitting by. 

Has anyone encountered this?

7YekMsB.jpg

It's not possible to run a 2 different graphics cards together, unless one of them was a PhysX card or something similar.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Have you tried the GTX 1080ti in the same slot, it looks like there might be something wrong with that slot that's causing that error, it could also be a driver thing, have two cards 2 generations apart and all. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's not possible to run a 2 different graphics cards together, unless one of them was a PhysX card or something similar.

It is possible to run two different cards on the system, but the problem will be drivers and/or applications being able to use them correctly. SLI is obviously out of the question.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

code 43 usually has to do with system resources/motherboard resources. you tend to see it when you add too many cards in older systems but i havent seen it happen in new systems in a long time

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

it is possible, ive done it at my previous workplace multiple times.. blender or whatever renderer you using detects the gpu and takes it on board as calculus power.. but yeah, not for gaming puposes

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Have you tried the GTX 1080ti in the same slot, it looks like there might be something wrong with that slot that's causing that error, it could also be a driver thing, have two cards 2 generations apart and all. 

yeah ive swapped the cards back and forth multiple times... apparently nothing wrong with either the slots or the cards themselves. I also tried the 780 in a 8pin PCIE instead of a 16one because god knows what might be the issue and it was all the same

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

code 43 usually has to do with system resources/motherboard resources. you tend to see it when you add too many cards in older systems but i havent seen it happen in new systems in a long time

i thought i might had ruined the GPU while cleaning it but i tried it on another system and it works perfectly.. so far i believe the culprit has to be something with the drivers. Most of the mess happens when windows tries to install the nvidia drivers on his own will....

Just now, noktek said:

i thought i might had ruined the GPU while cleaning it but i tried it on another system and it works perfectly.. so far i believe the culprit has to be something with the drivers. Most of the mess happens when windows tries to install the nvidia drivers on his own will....

then stop windows from installing the drivers. Also which driver are you trying to use? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, noktek said:

well as stated code 43 is usually resource related.

let me guess , no matter what it always throws a code 43 regardless if the drivers are installed or not?

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

then stop windows from installing the drivers. Also which driver are you trying to use? 

I was speaking in a 780 only scenario. It works fine solo on another machine but not on the threadripper. Im trying to use the most recent Nvidia driver, which is suggested for both cards! With it both card show up but only the 1080 works properly, the other one sits there with the yellow triangle like a vegetable

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

well as stated code 43 is usually resource related.

let me guess , no matter what it always throws a code 43 regardless if the drivers are installed or not?

are you saying : remove the drivers and see if theres a code43? havent tried that

Just now, noktek said:

I was speaking in a 780 only scenario. It works fine solo on another machine but not on the threadripper. Im trying to use the most recent Nvidia driver, which is suggested for both cards! With it both card show up but only the 1080 works properly, the other one sits there with the yellow triangle like a vegetable

Latest driver has a few issues. Try a few releases back. Like 388.00 the launch driver for the 388 line. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, noktek said:

are you saying : remove the drivers and see if theres a code43? havent tried that

yep try that , the two card make be fighting for the same resource on the board.

So i tried going offline and removing all drivers with DDU. The following screenshot shows the two devices, one shows problems, but im not sure which one is which. I assume the troubled one is the 780 but who knows! Im now installing the 388.0 and ill let you know how it goes shortly!

Capture1.JPG

driver 388.0 installed and the situation is the same... error message has gone back to code 43

6 minutes ago, anton_kr said:

Code 43 might indicate that there is something wrong with the bios.... 

Im having a look at the bios right now but theres nothing that seems helpful...the only settings related to PCIE are in the advanced \ AMD PBS panel (dont ask me what it is) and they are:

PCIe x16 Switch

Promontory PCIe Switch

PCIE4 1*16/4*4 switch 

Had similar issues but not when Running a titan black with a 1080.  Just did a clean install of the drivers and it installs them both just fine. If they both work then its a software issue, mobo bios maybe. Clean install should do it just fine and install the lasted driver.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

i noticed the 4pin power connector for the mobo was out so ive fixed that, but it didnt change the problem. formatted and reinstalled everything but the issue remains:/

I have seen others reporting this and, it seems to be that either the Nivida driver or windows no longer supports older card for hybrid graphics.
Update-------
Nivida chat said the last 1080 Ti driver  388.31 - WHQL  will work with the 780 as a Hybrid system

Steam Profile

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 3800 MHz (38.00 x 100)  /Offset + v 0.018

Asus Hero VI Motherboard
NZXT Kraken X62

G Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX  O.C. 3200 MHZ (14-14-14-28 ) x 2   1.4 v
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2  (8 GB)
27 Dell 2K 144 Hz G sync display

ive never had 1080 and 780 together on another machine, had a 780 and a 275... that may be worth trying to see if its a motherboard issue actually... it is the same windows btw (10 64)

although originally it was windows7 which i have since updated... if that makes a difference! I could actually also try to install windows 7, ive always liked it better anyway...

yeah i also did that as last resort and it changed nothing :(

edit: which anyway on the mobo booklet its sad it should only be necessary when using 4gpus

4 minutes ago, noktek said:

yeah i also did that as last resort and it changed nothing :(

just saying it has 24 pin 4 pin 8 pin and 6 pin just for motherboard and but manual says the connector is for 4 gpus

is 780 in pcie 4?