Unexplained drop and Severe Fluctuation in FPS in Old Games

ronferree

Hello, I exhausted most of the internet's tech forums and still no solution to my puzzling framerate problem. I have high hopes in you guys.

This year, I invested my savings in MSI GT62VR (i7 6700hq, Nvidia 1070, win10), and it operated properly for 8 months. Only recently I started getting random drop in fps capped at around 64 and dipping to below 10fps on old crytech engine games such as Ryse Son of Rome and Crysis 3. I used to get a steady 80+ fps in those games on this same laptop. In other games such as Battlefield 3, I used to get a steady 150fps but now it keeps fluctuating between 50 and 120fps under the same video settings. CPU and GPU usage is between 40% and 80% and temps are ok below 80C for GPU and all CPU cores; i.e. no thermal throttling. Vsync is always off, and power plan is set to high performance in windows and in nvidia control panel.

Lowering the graphic settings does not affect the severely fluctuating fps.

Installing different nvidia drivers, old and new, using DDU tool, did not solve the problem.

Last week I accidentally fixed it by shutting down while holding SHIFT key and removing the AC power. I plugged it back in after 8 hours and to my surprise the framerates in all games got restored to their original high levels. Yesterday the fps drop, fluctuation, and 64fps cap happened again and nothing is fixing it.

What could it be? Directx draw call bottlenecks?...

Many thanks

Blast it out with compressed air. Perform a power drain. Flash the BIOS. Re-seat the RAM Use tweakbit or similar to perform a full system driver check. Flatten the machine entirely and start again. Put your power settings on high power etc. If it continues then you've potentially got a hardware issue.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Occasionally perform a reboot instead of a shutdown as Windows never fully shuts down with that option. This fixes the weirdest issues, if this is software related in any way. My 2nd suspect would be a problem with either the charge circuit in the laptop or an issue with the power brick.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If I open the case I will void the warranty. It is a laptop. I can't touch the RAM.

-It was cleaned from dust and a fan was replaced by MSI yesterday but that did not fix the problem.

-Flashing the bios to latest version did not fix the problem.

-Power settings in control panel and nvidia control panel are set to high.

-Flatten the machine: do you mean perform a clean install of windows?

- I will try draining the battery.

Not true. Plenty of laptops have RAM panels seperate to the main casing you can upgrade/re-seat it and most of the time it does not affect the warranty. I've worked in this industry for far too long to know this.

Yes flatten the entire machine and perform a fresh install.

You might want to check the output from your charger is what it should be with a multi meter too.

1 minute ago, userzero said:

Not true. Plenty of laptops have RAM panels seperate to the main casing you can upgrade/re-seat it and most of the time it does not affect the warranty. I've worked in this industry for far too long to know this.

Yes flatten the entire machine and perform a fresh install.

You might want to check the output from your charger is what it should be with a multi meter too.

MSIs bloatware is insane.

Thanks guys. I will test the power adapter with a multi meter. I don't have a meter and don't know how exactly but will research it.

Saving the clean install of windows till the end.

Youtube video.

Yeah hopefully won't have to reformat but it'll help narrow down if its software related or not.

UPDATE: I just tried running a youtube in the background while running the game and it broke the 64fps cap reaching 80fps. Still fluctuating between 50 and 80fps though, and not as high as it used to be, but it is a change from the status quo.

I wonder if this is the combined fps from youtube video+game which I now see on the OSD? I have no idea how to interpret that. Thoughts?

Will report back after testing my AC power adapter.