Some questions about monitor (like TN stuff)

SecretX

I'm wondering, what's in the cannister? *sorry internal joke*. Now seriously, 

1. How bad is a TN panel compared to an IPS? Considering 144Hz, 1ms and the primary use for general games (from BDO to CS:GO).
  2. Would you buy a TN panel monitor? Why?
  3. Would you buy a 144Hz monitor? Why?
  4. What is better for gaming (in your opinion), a 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor or 1440p 144Hz TN monitor?
  5. If I were to buy a 1080p 144Hz monitor with freesync (and less than $300), what would be the best monitor (in your opinion)?
  6. If I were to buy a 1440p 144Hz monitor with freesync (and less than $450), what would be the best monitor (in your opinion)?

1.- just better colors, not worth imo if its priced over 50$ or more

2.- would i? no. ips or tn panel? ips. when tn panel? when its 30$ cheaper than the ips with the same specs

3.- if you only are going to play fast reaction games and if you hardware supports it

4.- 1440p 144hz tn monitor if its the same price

5.- dunno

6.- dunno

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

1. Not all TN panels are created equally, but they often have worse viewing angles, but actually less backlightbleed. The worse viewing angles can range from white looking yellow/orange-ish, to non viewable pictures.

2. Personally I don't care for high refresh rates at the moment and care more about accurate colors for digital editing purposes; so no.

3. I could answer this like "I would if the colors are equal to another good IPS panel and if it wasn't more expensive than a 60Hz panel", but that wouldn't be a fair answer.

4. 1440p 144Hz, if you PC can handle it.

5 & 6 I don't know enough about the current gaming panels to answer this. Check review for any potential panels though and see if they mention ghosting.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1. Depends on the panel. Some TN panels are pretty good on colours, but all have bad colour shift when viewing from an angle. There are 144Hz IPS panels and 1ms response times are just marketing statistics that should be ignored for the most part. 

2. If I have the choice for IPS, then no. I have one IPS panel, an Acer XB280HK. The only reason I have the TN is because I bought it as soon as it was released and at the time there were no 4K GSync IPS panels. I like the better colours on IPS too much and from my experience, there is no benefit at all to going for TN, I can't tell any difference between them in terms of how "fast" they are, but the difference in colours is very noticeable. I would buy a TN panel if all I wanted was a cheap monitor for displaying things where colours don't mater. I have the cheapest TN monitor I can find connected to my server so I can configure it from there. 

3. Yes, it's butter smooth. I actually regret getting my 4K monitor as I'd much rather spend the money on a 144Hz IPS GSync monitor now (again, they didn't exist when I bought my monitor). 

4. IPS. I can't tell any difference between IPS and TN other than the colours. TN is a lot cheaper with those specs though. 

I'll look around at some monitors and get back to you with 5 and 6. I can't think of FreeSync monitors off the top of my head. 

EDIT: Missed the difference between 1080p and 1440p in question 4. Ultimately, it doesn't matter as there are no 1080p 144Hz IPS monitors, they're all TN. 

5. Asus MG248Q. There are no IPS monitors with those specs (1080p 144Hz), but the TN panel on the MG248Q is pretty good. 

6. IPS is out of the price range on this one (they're around $500), so either than AOC AG241QX or AOC AG271QX, depending on whether you want 24" or 27". I'd personally go for the AOC AG271QX as 1440p on 27" is nice. If you could stretch to $540, I'd go with an Asus MG279Q. There's also the Acer XF270HU for $520, but I'd go for the Asus. 

Main difference between IPS and TN is that the IPS has more accurate colors and wider viewing angles, and is typically more expensive than the TN. The TN is usually faster and more responsive alongside being cheaper. TNs are therefore preferred among players of fast paced games like CSGO. I'd personally get an Asus MG248q if you want 1080p 144hz freesync.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account