Clean CPU with alcohol you use for your hands?

I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong subforum. 

So, I need to clean my CPU from the thermal compound, and I don't have any of that fancy isopropyl alcohol. However, I do have some that you use to clean your hands with. So I was wondering if I could use that instead of buying some? I'm very sorry for not knowing exactly what kind of alcohol it is, and the box doesn't seem to help much.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

So, I need to clean my CPU from the thermal compound, and I don't have any of that fancy isopropyl alcohol. However, I do have some that you use to clean your hands with. So I was wondering if I could use that instead of buying some? I'm very sorry for not knowing exactly what kind of alcohol it is, and the box doesn't seem to help much.

I wouldn't use that, I think those have like 70% alcohol in them, I think you need around 90+%

If you look around you can buy actual thermal paste remover that is cheap, I'd do that mate.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If it's rubbing alcohol it should be the same. If you mean a medical alcohol pad then yes, if you mean some generic hand sanitizer wipe then I would probably use it as a last resort. I would buff it off with tissue or a towel before I'd use that. 

Alcohol isn't some magic compound that you absolutely NEED to clean a CPU. It's used for it's disassociative properties and high rate of evaporation. The whatever alcohol wipes you have should work, just keep those things in mind.

Error: 410

Be more specific about what you have. Gosh linus.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That you use for your hands contains a lot of components for your skin, such as glycerol. I would highly recommend you NOT to use that.

Gaming PC: i7 4770k - 660ti SLI - Asus Z87 Pro - 2x8gb DDR3 Crucual Ballistix Sport 1600 - 840 Evo 120 gb - OCZ agility3 120gb - Check my pc HERE
Streaming PC: Xeon 1230v3 - 2x4gb DDR3 - 120gb SSD - Internet: 50/25 - Microphone: AT2020 + Behringer Xenyx Qx1002USB

Gaming & Streaming PC connected via Elgato Game capture HD - Check out my DayZ content on Youtube

I personally use this, and a coffee filter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

That you use for your hands contains a lot of components for your skin, such as glycerol. I would highly recommend you NOT to use that.

Hmm well it does say that it contains glycerin? Now that might be the swedish word for glycerol but google translate says it isn't. 

Thanks guys for your replies, and sorry for not being very specific. I will consider it. 

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

You can easily remove the thermal compound by a single Kleenex (or something like that)
I only use Isopropyl if I touched the CPU or the heatsink itself.

Hmm well it does say that it contains glycerin? Now that might be the swedish word for glycerol but google translate says it isn't. 

Thanks guys for your replies, and sorry for not being very specific. I will consider it. 

It's the same :) In danish glycerin is glycerol.

Gaming PC: i7 4770k - 660ti SLI - Asus Z87 Pro - 2x8gb DDR3 Crucual Ballistix Sport 1600 - 840 Evo 120 gb - OCZ agility3 120gb - Check my pc HERE
Streaming PC: Xeon 1230v3 - 2x4gb DDR3 - 120gb SSD - Internet: 50/25 - Microphone: AT2020 + Behringer Xenyx Qx1002USB

Gaming & Streaming PC connected via Elgato Game capture HD - Check out my DayZ content on Youtube

Isopropyl is easy to come by. Pick some up at any pharmacy or "superstore." 90%+ is what you're looking for. It doesn't take very much to do the job, so I'd suggest buying the smallest container they have. Also I wouldn't suggest using kleenex or anything that leaves dust/particles behind. Use a microfibre cloth or coffee filters.

It's the same :) In danish glycerin is glycerol.

oh ok :)

Isopropyl is easy to come by. Pick some up at any pharmacy or "superstore." 90%+ is what you're looking for. It doesn't take very much to do the job, so I'd suggest buying the smallest container they have. Also I wouldn't suggest using kleenex or anything that leaves dust/particles behind. Use a microfibre cloth or coffee filters.

The problem here is that I'm poor as hell. I need all the money I can get for my mouse and keyboard, even if we're only talking a few bucks.

As long as it dries quickly and does the job it is fine. Just make sure that you don't get any of that on the motherboard.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

As long as it dries quickly and does the job it is fine. Just make sure that you don't get any of that on the motherboard.

Yes it does dry fairly quickly. I tried it on a metal object and it worked good.

or u could use vinegar that's what i do aha molt vinegar works just fine haha 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

The stuff you use for your hands is specifically intended to not evaporate very quickly, since in order to adequately remove bacteria it has to hang around long enough to be effective. The stuff for cleaning CPUs is designed for the opposite - it's supposed to help you get the thermal paste off by acting as a solvent and then evaporate very quickly to leave a bone-dry surface behind.

Unscented nail polish remover does the trick. The less ingredients there are on the bottle the better. Old nail polish remover is mostly made of acetone. be caerfull not to get it on plastic, it could dissolve it slightly. The new stuff is made of ethylacetate which is pretty much the same but less toxic. Nail pollish remover might also include glycerin and other shit, so be caerfull. Lesss ingredients is better. However i have already removed a good amount of paint off a fan without dissolving the fan itself. worked pretty cleanly except for the scent which i removed with isoprop. xD

Glycerin is another alcohol but also a component in most of the fats, it generally doesn't clean off as easy as other alcohols. It leaves a smeary layer.

You could go into the garage and see what kinds of fluids you have standing around there. Maybe some cleaner's naphtha, however that stuff ist even more dissolvative towardes plastic. It's basically a mixture of the most agressive solvents that you can find. :D

Those are some sponatnious ideas that came to my head. :D

who cares...

Gasoline from your lawnmower. Highly aggressive and highly flamable. But it's a good solvent (similar to cleaner's naphta) and evaporates easily.

who cares...

Gasoline from your lawnmower. Highly aggressive and highly flamable. But it's a good solvent (similar to cleaner's naphta) and evaporates easily.

:D

@FireFox is correct most the handwipes/ medical versions are on 70%

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Nailpolish == Aceton

For what I know, Aceton is aggressive, and will also clean off the branding/logo on your CPU, it might leave ink marks because of that..?

I would avoid that option if I were you, and just get Artic Clean or/and 99.9% (or anything over 90%...) isopropyl alcohol.

I'm using 99.9% to clean the the CPU and cooler first till it is clean, and on top of that I use the Artic Clean solution. :)

Edit:

Also, don't use paper towels like toilet/kitchen paper.

If you don't have anything like an microfibre cloth, get some ol' coffee filters. :) (Coffee with hair? No thank you. ;) )

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

Nailpolish == Aceton

For what I know, Aceton is aggressive, and will also clean off the branding/logo on your CPU, it might leave ink marks because of that..?

I would avoid that option if I were you, and just get Artic Clean or/and 99.9% (or anything over 90%...) isopropyl alcohol.

I'm using 99.9% to clean the the CPU and cooler first till it is clean, and on top of that I use the Artic Clean solution. :)

Edit:

Also, don't use paper towels like toilet/kitchen paper.

If you don't have anything like an microfibre cloth, get some ol' coffee filters. :) (Coffee with hair? No thank you. ;) )

Thanks for the advice :)