Who's sad about OCZ going under??

MonkyBoy

Hi all, 

I'm pretty sad about OCZ going under, I have a PSU and SSD in my system from them and hope Toshiba keep the brand going.  Just wondered how people feel about this??

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

They were very good back in the day but like all giants, one day they must fall.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Sort of? I'm quite a bit more excited to see what Toshiba's going to do now. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah I hope they keep the brand going, if they do i think they will improve it

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

i liked OCZ. they werent the BEST brand out there but they had their products

which products did you like?

While I like some of their products I get why they cop crap.

At my old workplace we had a box of 60 Vertex 2 SSD's that we sold or put in systems. All 60 of them were DOA. One of them did actually manage to work for a solid 30 seconds though which was impressive

Really??

I keep hearing things like this but I can't fault the products I've had.  Did you build gaming systems? Where abouts did you sell them

OCZ aint dead, they are part of toshiba now.

yeah i know, read my post lol

which products did you like?

vector SSD

PSU the modxstream or something like that

OCZ have gone? :(

they've gone under and been bought by Toshiba for 32 mill, which is a steel when you think OCZ bought a NAND FLASH controller company for around the same money

I hope Toshiba keeps the OCZ branding.

Sad to see them go but unfortunately it happens all the time.

Proud to have a OCZ SSD running in my system  :)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

OCZ aint dead, they are part of toshiba now.

know if any more OCZ branded products?

My Rigs (past and present)

nope samsung all the way :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

While I like some of their products I get why they cop crap.

At my old workplace we had a box of 60 Vertex 2 SSD's that we sold or put in systems. All 60 of them were DOA. One of them did actually manage to work for a solid 30 seconds though which was impressive

Either you are a wizard or that is a blatant lie, or it was something in shipping. Their percentage failure rate was the same/lower as everyone else's. They sold a TON more SSDs than anyone else. What I mean is say they sold 10x as much as someone else and it was a 10% failure rate. They sell 100 someone else sells 10. The one with 10 has 1 failure, the one with 100 has 10. 

know if any more OCZ branded products?

you mean know of any?

Their failure rates overall were on par with any other brand. But the Vertex 2 issues were very widespread and resulted in almost all the drives failing. It was also an issue that OCZ knew about before they shipped out the drives, which is why OCZ has such a bad rep.

Not 60/60 dead. Vertex 2 was around 3 out of 100 if I remember correctly, which IS bad. But not 60/60 bad. You are either bsing or it was a shipping thing.

I'm not really sad. I bought a bunch of OCZ ssds and I love them. I got really good deals on them (think like $.6/GB over a year ago), but it seems that was largely due to mismangement. Their prices have been on the higher side in the market since they fixed their books.

So while I loved their products and their aggressive pricing, their brand just isn't worth anything to me.

Either you are a wizard or that is a blatant lie, or it was something in shipping. Their percentage failure rate was the same/lower as everyone else's. They sold a TON more SSDs than anyone else. What I mean is say they sold 10x as much as someone else and it was a 10% failure rate. They sell 100 someone else sells 10. The one with 10 has 1 failure, the one with 100 has 10. 

agreed my friend, its like the PS4, everyone's moaning that a load have fail but the percentage is like 0.4% or 4% of what they've actually sold!!

OCZ did the consumers good.  Kick started the lower cost SSD revolution.  Bought A few of their drives, but sandforce left a bad aftertaste...   even though it doesn't matter now with better and faster nands.   I even run the sandforce ones from intel in busy servers.  

No,  but same products with Toshiba branding. :)

Toshiba is got a boat load of tech, but they seem to have given up on their own brand haha.  I swear, it's must be all the lousy weird un-pronounceable names they used...  Quas..? Aqui.. wha?  This time, somebody must have said "lay off the naming! just buy a brand!"

you mean know of any?

that too  :D

My Rigs (past and present)

It was a specific point in the vertex 2 product cycle that they had issues with. They had just changed the type of flash inside the SSD and the first little bit of production the firmware was faulty and had 100 percent failure rates for a while.

No the 60/60 fail was either BS or shipping. Vertex 2 had more failures than others, but not 60/60. I wont call you a liar so I'll chalk it up to shipping.

Not really affected by it, honestly. The bad PR was too much and even if some of their products were good, the mismanagement screwed them in the end. Hopefully this means any future tech from Toshiba will revive the best of OCZ and scrap the bad. Those PCI-E SSDs were pretty beast!

Whatever Toshiba decides to do, I hope they scrap the "Fata1ity" branded garbage.

They were very good back in the day but like all giants, one day they must fall.

sort of like how Apple (IOS) will fall one day, AND ANDROID WILL TAKE OVER!

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/