Synergy 2 is here with SSL for everyone BUT with a catch [Update]

AlTech

Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored by anybody.

I am not affiliated with any links relating to discounts or codes

UPDATE:

ALSO, I totally didn't notice

Synergy 2 Basic has lost some features compared to Synergy 1 Basic:

It lost Key Swapping, Clipboard sharing, Sceensaver sync and drag and drop files.

These are all PRO only features now starting in v2.

Original Post:

Symless has released Synergy 2 and a lot of things have changed.

The most notable changes are A) price changes and B) loads of new features.

Synergy 2 Basic now costs $19 USD.

There's a good reason for the price increase although there is some stuff causing me to scratch my head (such as the lack of clipboard sharing on the Basic version).

Features of Synergy 2 Basic on top of v1 features:

• SSL Encryption
  • Cloud Bridge (Coming Soon) - Use across VPNs and tricky home networks
  • One Click Auto Update (Coming Soon)

Synergy 2 Pro features way more new additions but starts at $49 USD.

Synergy 2.1 will come in early 2018 allegedly and will be available to Synergy 2 users.

If you do end up buying Synergy, I've seen an offer code still valid from GamersNexus. I am not affiliated with Symless (maker of Synergy) or GamersNexus.

Here is the link to buy discounted Synergy -> https://symless.com/synergy/gamersnexus13

So yeah, Synergy 2 seems like a good new product but it's disappointing to see so many featured locked behind Synergy 2 Pro which I consider to be essential such as the Clipboard sharing.

Synergy 2 has arrived! After 2 years of development, it’s finally here. Now, so easy to configure, anyone can use it.

Sources:

https://symless.com/synergy/pricing

https://symless.com/forums/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Is it still open source?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Just now, noisebomb44 said:

Is it still open source?

Part of it is open source but there are proprietary components from what I understand.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

well i got my copy of 1 for 50% off when those deals started to pop up, i wont be going to 2, i dont relly care about what it brings and its too expensive to buy just because

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I bought Synergy a while back but there was a bug that drove me crazy. They said they were going to fix it in the next version (Synergy 2) but now I can't for the life of me remember what the bug was so I can't check if it's fixed or not. I'll probably pick it up anyways once LMG has a promo code for it.

-KuJoe

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well i got my copy of 1 for 50% off when those deals started to pop up, i wont be going to 2, i dont relly care about what it brings and its too expensive to buy just because

With the discount link you can get 50% off of Synergy 2.

Just now, KuJoe said:

I bought Synergy a while back but there was a bug that drove me crazy. They said they were going to fix it in the next version (Synergy 2) but now I can't for the life of me remember what the bug was so I can't check if it's fixed or not. I'll probably pick it up anyways once LMG has a promo code for it.

LMG does have a promo code for it that I literally just found but GamersNexus offers the better discount with their code.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

With the discount link you can get 50% off of Synergy 2.

LMG does have a promo code for it that I literally just found but GamersNexus offers the better discount with their code.

il pick up something like that later, need my money for travel right now, but thats actiually pretty nice. il probably pick up the pro becuase i would take advantage of the file drag and drop and copy pasta stuff but i might as well just use my 1 key where im pretty sure i can already do that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'll stick with supporting LMG. ;)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I'll stick with supporting LMG. ;)

As far as I know, neither one gives either of them a kickback. Feel free to prove me wrong @nicklmg.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

As far as I know, neither one gives either of them a kickback. Feel free to prove me wrong @nicklmg.

I think it would affect whether they continue advertising with LMG or not.

-KuJoe

Question about Synergy in general. Let's say I have some wireless USB headphones connected to my PC, can I use them on another computer with Synergy?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Question about Synergy in general. Let's say I have some wireless USB headphones connected to my PC, can I use them on another computer with Synergy?

I was just browsing their forums and there's a feature request for "sharing audio between computers" so I'm guessing not. It could be an old request though.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Not too sure.

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I think it would affect whether they continue advertising with LMG or not.

I doubt it. Symless seems to like advertising with LMG.

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I was just browsing their forums and there's a feature request for "sharing audio between computers" so I'm guessing not. It could be an old request though.

Hmmm, alright. Basically I want to join a meeting on my laptop but use my desktop headset without reaching behind and unplugging it to use the dongle on my laptop. It's a mighty pain to connect things behind my computer since it's an very large case and reaching behind it isn't easy when plugging things back in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

33 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Hmmm, alright. Basically I want to join a meeting on my laptop but use my desktop headset without reaching behind and unplugging it to use the dongle on my laptop. It's a mighty pain to connect things behind my computer since it's an very large case and reaching behind it isn't easy when plugging things back in.

Why not just run a USB extension to the front of the case? Or use a hub?

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Why not just run a USB extension to the front of the case? Or use a hub?

Aesthetics. I've got a hub under the desk but I only use it for temporary connections. Don't want to have it sticking out all the time :P 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'll stick with Microsoft Mouse Without Borders. Sure it is for Windows only, but super easy to setup, full featured, free, and has yet to fail me.

And you know the best part? It was already encrypting network communication

Here's something that's a bit more difficult to address: Assuming the copy/paste feature is not that useful to me, how would you sell me on this if I already have a kvm switch?

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Here's something that's a bit more difficult to address: Assuming the copy/paste feature is not that useful to me, how would you sell me on this if I already have a kvm switch?

One less piece of hardware.

No manual intervention.

Nothing physical to break.

That's about it, the Pro version has some nice features like the Clipboard sharing you mention, drag and drop files, copy and paste files, and audio sharing but all of those features except for the Clipboard one are "coming soon" and only on the Pro version. The only reason I would switch is if you get tired of hitting a button/flipping a switch for your KVM.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's a good reason for the price increase although there is some stuff causing me to scratch my head (such as the lack of clipboard sharing on the Basic version).

Features of Synergy 2 Basic on top of v1 features:

• SSL Encryption
  • Cloud Bridge (Coming Soon) - Use across VPNs and tricky home networks
  • One Click Auto Update (Coming Soon)

So, if you already have v1, you pay additional $19 to add SSL Encryption (to a local network connection) and to lose clipboard sharing? (Or it was never there and I'm mistaking it with TeamViewer?).

The drag&drop file copy never really worked for me (it kinda worked... sometimes), so I wonder if that's improved.

Otherwise, it looks like v1 is too strong a competitor for v2. But maybe for first time buyers it's become more attractive.

(I also know there were discounts offered to v1 users, but I wasn't drawn by those either :P).

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The switch. There's no hardware or software switch needed to go from computer 1 to computer 2, it's just like having multiple monitors on the same computer.

Depending on your habits, that may be an advantage or a disadvantage.

Effectively, you could say Synergy is software that makes one of your computers act as a KVM switch, with reaching the edge of the screen as a software trigger to change which computer you are controlling.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So, if you already have v1, you pay additional $19 to add SSL Encryption (to a local network connection) and to lose clipboard sharing? (Or it was never there and I'm mistaking it with TeamViewer?).

Clipboard sharing was never there in v1 afaik.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The drag&drop file copy never really worked for me (it kinda worked... sometimes), so I wonder if that's improved.

Otherwise, it looks like v1 is too strong a competitor for v2. But maybe for first time buyers it's become more attractive.

(I also know there were discounts offered to v1 users, but I wasn't drawn by those either :P).

v2 Pro is a lot more of a hefty upgrade for v1 users.

it just has a lot more features. and the Enterprise v2 version is even more fleshed out.

Oh, I remember the bug I was having in version 1 that made it impossible to use. You were unable to set the IP for the Synergy service to listen on so I had to disable all of my adapters in order to use it making my PC basically unusable on my home network. I really hope they fixed it in Synergy 2!

-KuJoe

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sure it is for Windows only

That makes it less of a direct competitor in my eyes.

Still, for Windows-only use cases it looks like a compelling option - not sure what reason would be left to pay for an alternative in such cases, especially one with fewer features.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That makes it less of a direct competitor in my eyes.

Yeah. If it was Linux + Mac as well then that'd be awesome.

The funny thing is Microsoft is allegedly a customer of symless so It'd be interesting to see if they eventually tackle that market (if only to reduce costs and improve profits)