College Gaming Laptop suggestions

I've been looking around quite a bit for a "good" gaming laptops that has a battery that will last 5hrs or more, and at this point would like some suggestions based on what people have bought for themselves. Graphics card wise a gtx 1060 is about as I high as I want to go, due to power consumption. I have a fairly large budget of around $2,300 but ideally I would like to get something cheaper. I have a thing for the Razer Blades and those have been my primary focus, especially with the newly released Full HD Razer Blade Pro having a $300 discount right now. Thank you for all of your input.

-Grayson M.

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Ive been very happy with my MSI GS63VR. It's fairly light to carry, batter life is decent too. and best of all its on sale on new egg currently https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154674&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL111017C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111017C-_-EMC-111017-Latest-_-GamingLaptops-_-34154674-S0E&ignorebbr=1

Looking closer that is actually an older generation with skylake not kaby lake CPU. Still a great PC though. 

Edited by COUPER MILLAR

10 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I've been looking around quite a bit for a "good" gaming laptops that has a battery that will last 5hrs or more, and at this point would like some suggestions based on what people have bought for themselves. Graphics card wise a gtx 1060 is about as I high as I want to go, due to power consumption. I have a fairly large budget of around $2,300 but ideally I would like to get something cheaper. I have a thing for the Razer Blades and those have been my primary focus, especially with the newly released Full HD Razer Blade Pro having a $300 discount right now. Thank you for all of your input.

-Grayson M.

look at asus

2 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

look at asus

Any suggestions from Asus?

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

17 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

-Grayson M.

Do you actually need a gaming laptop? Like do you really need a 1060 for on the go?

As I would highly suggest waiting for Ryzen laptops in general, then you either get an APU 4c/8t + Vega it looks like with decent battery life and esports gaming performance, or an 8 core almost secondary desktop machine. The ASUS one comes with free-sync as well.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

budget?

$2,300, but would like to spend a fair bit less

13 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

look at asus

nope, their ROG line are generally mediocre

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you actually need a gaming laptop? Like do you really need a 1060 for on the go?

As I would highly suggest waiting for Ryzen laptops in general, then you either get an APU 4c/8t + Vega it looks like with decent battery life and esports gaming performance, or an 8 core almost secondary desktop machine. The ASUS one comes with free-sync as well.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

this thing runs hot and has a very bad battery life due to the hot RX580 GPU

25 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

NEVER get Razer laptops, poor internal quality, poor QC and poor support. Take a look at Aero 15 if a 1060 is enough for you and you need portability, battery life

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

$2,300, but would like to spend a fair bit less

Oh ya, Coffee Lake Laptops are on the way as well? Or have a limited current launch?

Whatever, this one is under $1000, probably poor build quality, poor battery life, no idea if the screen is IPS but it has a quad core i7 and 1060 and is cheap

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316212

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Isn't almost every gaming laptop going to have bad battery life? Also I think the main draw there is the 8 core CPU. the APU laptops are going to make a lot more sense it looks like.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

nope, their ROG line are generally mediocre

NEVER get Razer laptops, poor internal quality, poor QC and poor support. Take a look at Aero 15 if a 1060 is enough for you and you need portability, battery life

I had completely forgotten about those laptops, I'll need to do a bit more research, but that definitely checks a lot of the boxes for what I want. Thank You!

21 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

-Grayson M.

You would be better off having a laptop that has a hyperthreaded dual core processor because:

1. IF configured, you can disable hyperthreading in class and opt to a power savings option while in class.

2. when in your dorm room or at home you can enable hyper threading for higher performance.

secondly, if you are going to do some gaming then get (IF you want to of course): 

1. EXP GDC BEAST v8.0 external graphics card dock.

2. GTX Geforce 1050 ti (great budget card for 1080p, 60fps.)

However!  BEFORE you buy those, consider the following:

if you are going to get these items, please make sure that the laptop has an NGFF or mPCI-E slot, otherwise you won't be able to connect an eGPU  (the eXP GDC BEAST I mean.)

If the laptop has a dedicated M.2 slot,  PLEASE make sure that it is PCI-E based and NOT SATA-based.  It will NOT work if it is SATA-based.

if the laptop has ONLY an NGFF slot or an mPCI-E slot then there will be a WLAN card occupying it.

Also, make sure it is a laptop that is able to use the unofficial dock.  Most laptops will have whitelists or things that can be used while others can't be used in that slot.  Like a picky 8 year old in otherwords (just an expression.)

It shouldn't cost you any more than $400 if not $500 altogether.

or 

You can get this laptop instead:  http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

everything you need is inside (if you add whatever you want in the drop-downs or the options you want to order with the laptop.)

4 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Way too much effort, There is maybe a Raven Ridge laptop out, or about to be out

it's from HP, but you have to upgrade the RAM yourself because for some insane reason they halved their GPU performance by going with single channel RAM, gotta check the rest as well. "

$734.99

"
https://slickdeals.net/f/10757943-hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-with-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-quad-core-734-99

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Way too much effort, There is maybe a Raven Ridge laptop out, or about to be out

it's from HP, but you have to upgrade the RAM yourself because for some insane reason they halved their GPU performance by going with single channel RAM, gotta check the rest as well. "

$734.99

"
https://slickdeals.net/f/10757943-hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-with-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-quad-core-734-99

How... in... the... hell... did... you... find... this???  o.O

I mean, this one is also a <a href="http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1">good option</a>

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Isn't almost every gaming laptop going to have bad battery life? Also I think the main draw there is the 8 core CPU. the APU laptops are going to make a lot more sense it looks like.

That model is even worse, around 90 mins of web browsing, normal gaming laptops can last around 4 hours or more (around 2 hours for GSync enable laptops)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

First page on google

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

You can get this laptop instead:  http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

Solid option, even with outdated Kaby Lake CPU it's still a desktop CPU anyway, throw in an i7 7700 and it's a solid system

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

That model is even worse, around 90 mins of web browsing, normal gaming laptops can last around 4 hours or more (around 2 hours for GSync enable laptops)

Couldn't you like take the time to go into Wattman and underclock the shit out of the 580 and turn off half your CPU cores in Ryzen Master maybe? I dunno, but I'd take shit battery life for 8 cores.

Of course my real dream of a retro thinkpad with a Raven Ridge APU will never come true.

Spoiler

Just now, Ripmin-PSN said:

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

This laptop I have isn't classified as a gaming laptop perse but it's still good.  Do you want the specs and name of the laptop I have for reference?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I dunno, but I'd take shit battery life for 8 cores.

42 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I've been looking around quite a bit for a "good" gaming laptops that has a battery that will last 5hrs or more

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

gaming laptops

Just now, ZM Fong said:

a battery that will last 5hrs or more

Ya but that's a contradiction right there lol. I'd say it's a bad time to be shopping for laptops with new hardware about to come out for them.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

First page on google

b..s..   Das cewl. :3 

If you need something with a touchscreen to take notes on, the Surface Book 2 just came out, however it is very expensive.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Solid option, even with outdated Kaby Lake CPU it's still a desktop CPU anyway, throw in an i7 7700 and it's a solid system

That's why I said that he can add whatever CPU he wants to it.

I hate soldered-on parts.  No option but to buy a new device..

I'm looking at you microsoft, sony and apple.  -.-

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Ya but that's a contradiction right there lol. I'd say it's a bad time to be shopping for laptops with new hardware about to come out for them.

Yeah, that's a fair point.