Twitter adds $99/month Promote Mode to allow for blasting out tweets

WMGroomAK

So in addition to increasing the character limit (which you can read about below), Twitter has also launched a $99 per a month service in the US and UK to allow users to promote their tweets into non-followers timelines in order to generate more ad revenue or gain a bigger following.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/08/twitter-99-tweet-promotion-tool-public-beta/

Twitter is making it easier for small businesses and power users to give their tweets a boost. The social network has officially launched its first ad subscription tool called "Promote Mode" as a public beta. Twitter started testing the always-on mode as an invite-only feature in July, giving users access to a feature that can automatically blast their tweets and profiles into strangers' (aka non-followers') timelines. Now that it's available to the public, more people who don't have the means, the know-how or the time to launch ad campaigns of their own can pay $99 per month for the service.

Promote Mode is primarily a mobile feature users can readily access through the Twitter app's menu drawer. It's where they can see all the numbers that matter, including how many followers they've gained and the number of people who saw their tweets and visited their profiles. On desktop, users can access the feature and those metrics through social media software Sprout Social.

Despite providing an automated way to promote tweets, the feature's success all depends on the subscribers' activities. Their tweets still need to be good, informative or witty enough to able to convince people to hit the Follow button. Unfortunately, even the most interesting accounts can't access the feature yet if they're not in the US or the UK. It's only out as a public beta in those locations, though it will also come out in Japan in the near future.

From the time Twitter first introduced the feature, it was pretty obvious that the company conjured it up as a new way to make money. According to its Q3 earnings report, it just had one of the best quarters (if not the best quarter ever) after managing to trim down losses to $21 million. If the feature does well, it could even help the company finally turn a profit.

So now we can definitely say that Twitter will be infested with ads everywhere in addition to increased tweet lengths.  Reading from their FAQ, this is being targeted to people or businesses with up to 2,000 followers as seeing the most benefit and who do not want to have to manage an ad campaign. As to how this will work, up to the first 10 tweets a day will be put out as 'promoted' tweets to a targeted audience based on location and/or similar interests.  Twitter estimates that this would cause the promoted tweets to reach an additional 30,000 people and 30 followers.  This is essentially rolling out the program that they began testing in late July mentioned in this article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/28/twitter-tests-99-subscription-for-auto-promoted-tweets/.  It should be interesting to see whether this helps or hurts Twitter as a business/community as there could be some people who drop out due to a saturation of ads and promoted tweets on their timelines.  Also, do people think that a $99/month subscription fee for this service is helpful or hurtful?  I think it might help to limit the number of users, but it is definitely a high subscription fee for an automated service...

Twitter is slowly succumbing to the fact that Ad-model wasn't going to work if the staff was going to make millions.

Let's see if an algorithm change occurs where you now NEED to subscribe for anyone to actually see your content. Much like the "we're only going to show you what's important to you" change made to FB and IG.

5 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Let's see if an algorithm change occurs where you now NEED to subscribe for anyone to actually see your content. Much like the "we're only going to show you what's important to you" change made to FB and IG.

technically this service would bypass any and all algorithms.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

technically this service would bypass any and all algorithms.

Right, what I am saying is I'm hoping twitter doesn't make an algorithm that buries posts, causing you to need this subscription.

1 hour ago, Legendarypoet said:

Right, what I am saying is I'm hoping twitter doesn't make an algorithm that buries posts, causing you to need this subscription.

Twitter is already shadow-ban central, and I'm dead sure this will be abused to no end. This is going to go terribly.

I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.

News just in, twitter wants to be like facebook.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

News just in, twitter wants to be like facebook.

They've been trying to be Facebook before and it got worse when they introduced 280 characters

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

They've been trying to be Facebook before and it got worse when they introduced 280 characters

I stopped using facebook because of all the paid seeds in my timeline.  People are dumb and believe anything they read online.  The last thing we need to do is give crooks like dr oz and kelly brogan another avenue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The last thing we need to do is give crooks like dr oz and kelly brogan another avenue.

Is Dr. Oz still advertising snake oil just like Alex Jones?

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Is Dr. Oz still advertising snake oil just like Alex Jones?

unfortunately.  kelly brogan and some weird con artist calling herself food babe have been spreading his shit and reaping the payoff.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

unfortunately.  kelly brogan and some weird con artist calling herself food babe have been spreading his shit and reaping the payoff.

Kinda like Gwyneth Paltrow then 

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Kinda like Gwyneth Paltrow then 

exactly like.