Noctua cooler on a GPU

This topic errs on the side of hypothetical rather than practical. I've seen countless reviews of Noctua's NH-D15 coolers pitted against other enthusiast air coolers and AIO's and (aside from looks) it seems to beat out every single competitor in both cooling and silence, even narrowly beating be quiet!'s competing cooler in both categories as well. So I was wondering about Graphics cooling. If spacing wasn't a factor and the weight was supported, how would you think strapping a NH-D15 to a 1080ti would go, both cooling and noise wise? Bonus points if you could figure out how to cool the VRM!

I'm pretty sure its been done already. The issue is that a GPU cooler cools more than just the chip itself and slapping a big tower on would actually yield worse results for the VRM etc. Currently the GPU cooler implementations of most after market GPUs are already efficient enough to cool the card overclocked.

Yo I'd recommend an aftermarket GPU cooler like a Raijintek Morpheus II, it comes with heat sinks for the VRM and fits two 120mm fans, so you could use dem noctuas, plus it comes with mounting metal fan clip thinigies. Now it doesn't list the 1080ti on the website but my guess is they just haven't updated it as it fits the 1080, it's the same on the AMD side, it doesn't list the VEGA's but I know for a fact it can fit them, here's the video I found it from, good luck with your cooling adventures! :D

so the question is basically "CPU cooler on GPU - does it work?" 

youtube has answered that question a couple of times already:

well, there are adapters for hooking an AIO to a gpu... I suspect the results would be pretty much in line with using a 240mm rad for that, except the AIO adapter takes into account the fact that the vrms need some cooling so... betterer.  

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

7 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

so the question is basically "CPU cooler on GPU - does it work?" 

youtube has answered that question a couple of times already:

Thank's I knew I saw this somewhere before! 

Edit: I was just wondering if the NH-D15 would fare any better than this, also I'm pretty sure the way he cooled the VRMs would not work on modern cards.

On 2017-11-07 at 8:34 PM, ArcSmith said:

Edit: I was just wondering if the NH-D15 would fare any better than this, also I'm pretty sure the way he cooled the VRMs would not work on modern cards.

Good question and i personally had a wing at the concept because i own the nh-d15.

sadly, to mount the beast, you will need to drill holes and solder new brackets to the cooler to make viable, and even then im not certain it will make contact.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:34 PM, ArcSmith said:

Yes, the NH-D15 would perform better provided that it's mounted well. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 4 weeks later...

DIY Perks finally made an update to his previous 'CPU cooler on a GPU' build. Guess this answers my question.