Help me connect two PCs through network

Light-Yagami

I have a laptop and a desktop. 

Both on same wifi. Now, I'd like to access one another no matter which on I'm using. I have movies on the big machine and being able to access them on laptop through network would be really nice.

How can I connect the two or rather how can I access files in general from on another?

Thanks for help. I need it.

I'm pretty sure in Windows if you set up a homegroup you can share files and things between computers like that...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm pretty sure in Windows if you set up a homegroup you can share files and things between computers like that...

yes. thank you. I know. 

I've no idea how to execute it.

While this is possible through file shares as @Crunchy Dragon said, I would not recommend this. Streaming your movies from one machine to another over your network will likely be slow.

I suggest just moving them from your one computer to the other if at all possible.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

yes. thank you. I know. 

I've no idea how to execute it.

Few people here are going to be willing to write you a step by step guide when they already exist. If you know about shares and don't know how they work, you can Google for them. In fact, you could just right click a folder and probably find half of what you're looking for under the properties option (I think there's a sharing tab on that window)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, LtStaffel said:

Few people here are going to be willing to write you a step by step guide when they already exist. If you know about shares and don't know how they work, you can Google for them. In fact, you could just right click a folder and probably find half of what you're looking for under the properties option (I think there's a sharing tab on that window)

Thank you. 

I'm pretty sure If I wanted an advice for a GPU or sth, everybody would gladly write a whole essay.

Open Windows search bar and type Homegroup.  Should bring up the settings for configuring it.  Configure this on the computer hosting the movies first then go to the second computer and have it join the Homegroup.

Though, I advise that the computer with movies be hard line with Ethernet cable instead of WiFi.  You can leave the 2nd computer on WiFi.  That way you minimize the bandwidth issue for the computer acting as the storage for the movies.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

Open Windows search bar and type Homegroup.  Should bring up the settings for configuring it.  Configure this on the computer hosting the movies first then go to the second computer and have it join the Homegroup.

Though, I advise that the computer with movies be hard line with Ethernet cable instead of WiFi.  You can leave the 2nd computer on WiFi.  That way you minimize the bandwidth issue for computer acting as the storage for the movies.

They're both on 5ghz with 100mbps+ stable 6ms connection. I think wireless won't present an issue.. If it does, I can hardline it.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

They're both on 5ghz with 100mbps+ stable 6ms connection. I think wireless won't present an issue.. If it does, I can hardline it.

Thank you.

If they're on the same router internet speeds doesn't matter, as long as it isn't an El Garbo and both computers have Gigabit ports then you can blaze at 100 MB/s. Also with homegroup you don't need to copy them, just open them and don't turn of the other pc

For films that speed over wireless is fine too btw

Just now, Koneinuri said:

If they're on the same router internet speeds doesn't matter, as long as it isn't an El Garbo and both computers have Gigabit ports then you can blaze at 100 MB/s. Also with homegroup you don't need to copy them, just open them and don't turn of the other pc

Idk how to stream.. if I access laptop data with my PC, it tries to stream but fails and network stops responding, if I do it the other way around, laptop tries to copy over the whole movie which can be upwards of 10gbs.. at a speed of like.. 1MBps

I'm over it.

ain't dealing with that sh!t anymore

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Idk how to stream.. if I access laptop data with my PC, it tries to stream but fails and network stops responding, if I do it the other way around, laptop tries to copy over the whole movie which can be upwards of 10gbs.. at a speed of like.. 1MBps

I'm over it.

ain't dealing with that sh!t anymore

No need to use streaming software... with homegroup you can watch the videos stored in the other computer perfectly. I was just quoting to leave some extra info because I saw that someone posted up there how to set up a homegroup

What OS btw? I could try recording my pc to show how to create one, although it's not in English...

6 minutes ago, Koneinuri said:

No need to use streaming software... with homegroup you can watch the videos stored in the other computer perfectly. I was just quoting to leave some extra info because I saw that someone posted up there how to set up a homegroup

What OS btw? I could try recording my pc to show how to create one, although it's not in English...

I can't even access my main PC, it's not working, and I'm not stupid for this kinds of things. 

I've created a homegroup on my main PC on private network preset and joined it with a laptop. Then, I tried accessing data on my main PC. didn't work. I can't even eccess drives, just maps on my C drive, and that's not where all the movies are. Can't change settings for view and all..

I think that's the limitation of Windows Home instead of Pro.

Correct me if I'm wrong

8 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

I can't even access my main PC, it's not working, and I'm not stupid for this kinds of things. 

I've created a homegroup on my main PC on private network preset and joined it with a laptop. Then, I tried accessing data on my main PC. didn't work. I can't even eccess drives, just maps on my C drive, and that's not where all the movies are. Can't change settings for view and all..

I think that's the limitation of Windows Home instead of Pro.

Correct me if I'm wrong

I don't know what is going on there, but there's no limitation that kind of access in Home, maybe there's a difference for enterprise versions (things that would be useful in home, but I can't recall any atm) but in home you can certainly set access rules, read and create files fine.

Also I don't know how much you know on the matter but if you already know some things try this:

1-Delete the homegroup in both pcs

2-Create it in the one that you don't carry away that much (desktop I asume :P)

3-Right click and select the sharing methods of the folders you want to share; some folders require other steps, especially whole drives

If you already know this, ignore this comment and wait for a better reply :(

1 minute ago, Koneinuri said:

I don't know what is going on there, but there's no limitation that kind of access in Home, maybe there's a difference for enterprise versions (things that would be useful in home, but I can't recall any atm) but in home you can certainly set access rules, read and create files fine.

Also I don't know how much you know on the matter but if you already know some thinks try this:

1-Delete the homegroup in both pcs

2-Create it in the one that you don't carry away that much (desktop I asume :P)

3-Right click and select the sharing methods of the folders you want to share; some folders require other steps, especially whole drives

If you already know this, ignore this comment and wait for a better reply :(

I've done all those things. It seems that something is bugged here.. But I can access the main PC from laptop through network and not through the home group folder. There is however NO options to access the harddrives. Only documents folder, as well as music, video and such. And I don't keep anything there except for the game fotage since shadowplay defaults to there.

I'll see what I can do. The connection isn't stable at all. It would push 20mbps and then nothing for 30 seconds and then again.. it's not worth it in my case. good old USB transfer does the job just fine. You need to be hard wired if you want any sort of usable performance.

I like how they have it managed at LTT but they're all using enterprise Windows versions and server gear, I'm nothing compared to them.