What size screen is too big for a monitor?

Tcrumpen

I currently use a 32" Full HD TV as my monitor as it's the best solution for my flat where i have limited space however i'm thinking about upgrading soon and i'm finishing it hard to find a 32" TV that is also FULL HD as Full HD TVs now tend to be starting the the 40" realm

Which got me thinking if your using a TV also as a monitor what size screen would actually be to big as a monitor?

It's really personal preference, for me I don't like anything less than 24" and I'm using a 27" right now but in my space I'd think I'd be comfortable up to 30-32" after that I think it gets too big and I start having to move my head to look instead of just my eyes. Overall I'm just against using a TV as a monitor since monitors are designed to be used with computer and TVs aren't.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

It's really personal preference, for me I don't like anything less than 24" and I'm using a 27" right now but in my space I'd think I'd be comfortable up to 30-32" after that I think it gets too big and I start having to move my head to look instead of just my eyes. Overall I'm just against using a TV as a monitor since monitors are designed to be used with computer and TVs aren't.

For me it's best of both worlds as i don't have space for a Monitor and a TV plus i'm so used to a 32" TV as a monitor that scaling down would be weird it would make my desk look a bit empty

Depends on the user and what you want out of it. 

Monitor: You can have a wide range of resolutions and panels

Gaming 24"ish is about the sweetspot

Crativity 34" ultrawides are nice

TV: 1080p or 4K (not all hz are supported)

Using TVs is ok but not so much for content creation and especially not for gaming multiplayer gaming that requires fast reactions.

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

For me it's best of both worlds as i don't have space for a Monitor and a TV plus i'm so used to a 32" TV as a monitor that scaling down would be weird it would make my desk look a bit empty

Why don't you get a 32" monitor and use it as a TV and monitor?

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

Why don't you get a 32" monitor and use it as a TV and monitor?

Because you can't use a monitor as a TV can you?

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

Just use HDMI to plug whatever TV box you have into the monitor and boom it's a TV, although you might have to plug in speakers and you won't be able to use a remote to turn on/off the TV and adjust the volume.

There isn't a too big screen if pixel density is enough, if you increase resolution as you increase your physical screen size it should remain good.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

Have a look at this, may answer some more questions

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

There isn't a too big screen if pixel density is enough, if you increase resolution as you increase your physical screen size it should remain good.

I would agree with that for productivity but not for gaming. If I can't see 100% of the monitor without turning my head  the monitor it to big for how close I am sitting to it. I either need to get a smaller monitor or sit further away.

13 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Just use HDMI to plug whatever TV box you have into the monitor and boom it's a TV, although you might have to plug in speakers and you won't be able to use a remote to turn on/off the TV and adjust the volume.

I don't have a TV box it's cable straight from the wall i don't watch anything other than Freeview

15 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Overall I'm just against using a TV as a monitor since monitors are designed to be used with computer and TVs aren't.

that's technically not 100% correct because a TV does absolutely not care what type of device it is connected to. neither does a monitor.

both take a signal, processes it and show it on the screen. 

othen than a monitor not having a tuner build in, the processing part is the only difference between a TV and a monitor. 

and that can make a huge difference. monitors usually do very little processing while TVs tend to overprocess everything. a little color boost here, a little polishing there. 

problem is that all the processing introduces delay and can have some other undesired effects ... like small text becoming hard to read because of added smoothing or sharpening and all the color boosting just makes the tv worthless for photo editing... 

i'd go for a 27" monitor because that might still be big enough for usual TV use. 

I use 55", it's really immersive for gaming.

It's all just personal preference.

43 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

problem is that all the processing introduces delay and can have some other undesired effects ... like small text becoming hard to read because of added smoothing or sharpening and all the color boosting just makes the tv worthless for photo editing... 

Most modern tvs have a PC/game mode that disables post processing.

There are also many tvs that have low input lag, the same as a monitor.

Rtings.com has a lot of info on that.

51 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

I would agree with that for productivity but not for gaming. If I can't see 100% of the monitor without turning my head  the monitor it to big for how close I am sitting to it. I either need to get a smaller monitor or sit further away.

I don't think you know what peripheral vision is.

Did you ever think about the reason why people game on 3 or 6 monitors?

1 hour ago, Tcrumpen said:

It's literally does the same thing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's literally does the same thing.

Not for me as monitors don't have a areil/co-axel input

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

Not for me as monitors don't have a areil/co-axel input

Uh, but you don't use that to connect a tv to a PC...................

You use HDMI, which all tvs have.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Uh, but you don't use that to connect a tv to a PC...................

You use HDMI, which all tvs have.

I know what i'm saying is that monitors don't have the connection i need to watch TV

Reason why i have a TV as a monitor is so i can watch TV and have a monitor i can use

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most modern tvs have a PC/game mode that disables post processing.

that "game mode" doesn't improve shit on many modern TVs. it disables a lot of processing but what little processing is still going on is still too slow. 

maybe the more expensive high end TVs will do it right but the small inexpensive ones from 32" to 44" ? i doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

I know what i'm saying is that monitors don't have the connection i need to watch TV

Reason why i have a TV as a monitor is so i can watch TV and have a monitor i can use

What I'm saying is that you can literally plug a tv into a computer and have it work just like a monitor.

Is that not what you're asking about in this topic...?

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

What I'm saying is that you can literally plug a tv into a computer and have it work just like a monitor.

Is that not what you're asking about in this topic...?

Na what i'm asking is how big of a screen is too big for a monitor as it's hard for me to find a 32" TV that's full HD anymore

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

that "game mode" doesn't improve shit on many modern TVs. it disables a lot of processing but what little processing is still going on is still too slow. 

maybe the more expensive high end TVs will do it right but the small inexpensive ones from 32" to 44" ? i doubt it. 

Go to rtings.com and take a look at the reviews.

On the inexpensive vizio tvs it removes all post processing and gives them some of the lowest input lag of any tvs, below 20ms.

I don't think you know what you're talking about....

Spoiler

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

Na what i'm asking is how big of a screen is too big for a monitor as it's hard for me to find a 32" TV that's full HD anymore

It's just personal preference.

A lot of people like tek syndicate and barnacules switched to using 40" screens with 4k for more realestate.

I personally won't buy anything below 55.

You should figure out what you like for yourself.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you know what you're talking about....

i know what cheap TVs can do because i used them. i know that tv manufacturers are idiots. almost no exceptions. to them it is more important to have a network port and webbrowser built into the firmware than to have a processor that can process images faster and actually HANDLE webbrowsing or all the cool apps they put on there without choking and crashing.

i know that any cheap monitor still beats the snot out of a 20ms TV as far as input lag and color accuracy is concerned.

this is what i know. this is what i talk about. 

10 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i know that any cheap monitor still beats the snot out of a 20ms TV as far as input lag and color accuracy is concerned.

this is what i know. this is what i talk about. 

No, a standard 60Hz monitor also has about 15-20ms of input lag.

And no, unless you're talking about high end calibrated pro monitors, the colour accuracy is about the same, possibly even better on the tv since they have higher quality panels.

Please do some research and stop spreading misinformation, this isn't like it was 10 years ago when tvs had crappy input lag and quality.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

this isn't like it was 10 years ago when tvs had crappy input lag and quality.

tell that to my TV in the living room ... i guess that one didn't get the memo. 

then again ... it was on sale for only 250 bucks - wich is about as much as i paid for two 27" monitors together and they DO kick the snot out of the TV on lag and quality (and out of most other TVs i seen so far)