970 100% on all games

Sir_TechMonkey

Hello, I have recently discovered my 970 FTW is always at 100% power consumption when playing any game. Why is that and should I be concerned? Luckily it goes down when I go off the video game to around 13. I don't play demanding games, and I always play at ultra/high settings at 1080p.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.6  COOLER: Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: MSI Sli Plus Z170 | GPU: GTX 970 Ftw  | RAM: Crucial ballistix @2400MHz (16gb) (8GB) | SSD: ADATA SP550 (240GB) HDD: Seagate 1tb & 2tb  | PSU: Corsiar 600W | Case: Anidees crystal cuvbe lite Display 1x: Asus VG248QEKeyboard: Coolermaster Tk | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Blue Yeti Blackout,beyerdynamic dt 770 pro & Logitech z200

nope that’s good, it’s a problem if your CPU is 100 and your GPU is at a low usage 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Thats generally how GPUs work. They ramp themselves up to keep up with a workload until they hit either Powerdraw/voltage, thermal or stability limits. In this case your GPU is hitting its power limit before it hits the others. (Which is normal when you have a decent cooler and don't raise the power limit)

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

well, you could turn vsync on in your games, which would lock the framerate at whatever refresh rate your display is. that way it doesn't waste power rendering 200+ fps, when in reality that's useless, because you can only see 60 of those, because that's how fast your display refreshes per second. if you do this, you will see lower power draw. unless you play close to the limit of the card. 

She/Her

the GPU just tries to achieve as high a framerate as it can achieve, so yes, it ramps up to maximum power.

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

well, you could turn vsync on in your games, which would lock the framerate at whatever refresh rate your display is. that way it doesn't waste power rendering 200+ fps, when in reality that's useless, because you can only see 60 of those, because that's how fast your display refreshes per second. if you do this, you will see lower power draw. unless you play close to the limit of the card. 

You can see more than 60.... but I agree on your point.

16 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

there are benefits to higher framerates on a 60Hz panel, like input lag and frame latency go down

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Megabmin said:

You can see more than 60.... but I agree on your point.

not if your display only reflashes 60 times a second. same principle if you have a light flashing once per second, you are not gonna see the light flas more often... ever. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there are benefits to higher framerates on a 60Hz panel, like input lag and frame latency go down

okay, didn't know that. you get screen tearing though.. .

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

okay, didn't know that. you get screen tearing though.. .

i dont tend to notice any screen tearing tbh, and VSYNC can really screw with other things, especially input lag, so i never touch it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont tend to notice any screen tearing tbh, and VSYNC can really screw with other things, especially input lag, so i never touch it

It's obvious... screen tearing is obvious.. not sure why some people doesn't see it tho

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

It's obvious... screen tearing is obvious.. not sure why some people doesn't see it tho

i have noticed it a couple of times, like an amount less then i have fingers, after playing games basically every day the last 5 years. its really not a problem i have in the slightest

Builds:

Spoiler