Old PC upgrade. Suggestions needed.

Hi,

I 'm planning to upgrade my old PC (almost 10 years) and decided to just keep the case and HDD's. The upgrade components are listed below:

NEW COMPONENTS:

- Core i5 7500

- Asus B250F motherboard

- HyperX Fury 2400 8 GB RAM

- Micron/Samsung 250GB M.2 SSD

- Gigabyte 1050ti graphics card

- Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550W Power Supply

OLD COMPONENTS:

- Chieftec mid tower case (this is pretty good even for today, screwless installation inside and rock solid chassis)

- 1TB and 500GB 7200 RPM WD HDD's

Some people advised against i5 7500 but coffee lake is still not available in my country and these things always arrive late in the market in India and as for Ryzen, that are a lot of reviews that suggests that it has problems memory/ram speed consistency.

Any suggestions? should i make any changes to this build or go ahead with it? I'm a casual gamer and will be using this PC for some music production work. 

Whats your budget? If you have an extra buck you might want to upgrade the RAM to 16gbs or 3000mhz

2 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

Some people advised against i5 7500 but coffee lake is still not available in my country and these things always arrive late in the market in India and as for Ryzen, that are a lot of reviews that suggests that it has problems memory/ram speed consistency.

the memory issues have been mostly fixed with an update, i'd recommend you go for a 1600 instead. also get a corsair grey-labeled CX/M instead of the MWE.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

Hi,

I 'm planning to upgrade my old PC (almost 10 years) and decided to just keep the case and HDD's. The upgrade components are listed below:

NEW COMPONENTS:

- Core i5 7500

- Asus B250F motherboard

OLD COMPONENTS:

- Chieftec mid tower case (this is pretty good even for today, screwless installation inside and rock solid chassis)

Any suggestions? should i make any changes to this build or go ahead with it? I'm a casual gamer and will be using this PC for some music production work. 

Why i5? Go for a Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600x, much better value and most of the problems with ryzen have been resolved. 

18 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

I'd say go with a Ryzen 1600, 3000mhz memory (because Ryzen loves fast memory), and a B350 board to stay within budget, newer games are starting to really like cpus with more than 4 cores. There were quite a few problems at launch for Ryzen, but most of it has been fixed by now, as long as you check the compatibility list of memory on the motherboard manufacturers website then it shouldn't be an issue.

19 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

- Core i5 7500

- Asus B250F motherboard

Kaby Lake is a bad value these days with Coffee Lake and Ryzen around.

Ryzen's memory issues has been resolved for the most part. 

Go with either:

- Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600 if you want the best bang for the buck

- i5 8400 if you plan to upgrade to a high refresh rate monitor later

If this PC is ten years old, I'd really recommend getting new hard drives, I know you have an SSD, but if the hard drives fail on you or get really slow it won't be nice.  Plus great internal hard drives are dirt fucking cheap.

29 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

Hi,

NEW COMPONENTS:

- Core i5 7500

- Asus B250F motherboard

OLD COMPONENTS:

Not to sound like a broken record but don't go kaby lake intel. Either get a coffee lake i5-8400 or the Ryzen 1600 (non X is better value)

The performance increase to the i5-8400 is huge compared to the i5-7500 and the Ryzen 5 1600 is a long time price performance beast with a promised (by AMD) upgrade path in the future. (I would actually pick the ryzen at the moment)

44 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

problems memory/ram speed consistency.

This really is quite a minor thing tbh and shouldn't be a reason to ignore it as a whole. Even with lower frequency ram imo Ryzen is still a better option.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Wow. thanks guys. i feel enlightened :)

So my budget is around INR 50000 for these components but it might be difficult to understand for you all, being from different countries. In India computer hardware prices has no logic or practicality, for example a radeon RX 480 4gb online prices are somewhere around INR 80K-100k (way more expensive than gtx 1080) whereas a 1050ti price starts from INR 11k.

But for a general idea my budget in USD would be somewhere around $ 600-700.

Planning a new build with Ryzen 1600 :)    

5 hours ago, IziBartek said:

Whats your budget? If you have an extra buck you might want to upgrade the RAM to 16gbs or 3000mhz

My budget is really stretched, that's why 8GB instead of 16. but can always add one more stick later.

New Build:

- Ryzen 5 1600

- Asus Strix B350f motherboard

- DDR4 3000Mhz 8GB Ram

- Gtx 1050ti Graphics card

- M.2 250GB SSD

- Corsair CX450M PSU

Is it good enough? Although this build is streching my budget a little further. Will it be ok if I go for Ryzen 1400 instead of 1600...will there be a drastic difference in performance?