Playing 24 inch windowed games on a 32 inch monitor

Chake

Hi all, 

I've been trying to find info regarding running games in a 24/27 inch window on a 32 inch 1440p monitor (AOC ag322qcx). Is it possible to run a game in that size window and benefit from higher refresh rates, or is it not that simple? 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Chake said:

Hi all, 

I've been trying to find info regarding running games in a 24/27 inch window on a 32 inch 1440p monitor (AOC ag322qcx). Is it possible to run a game in that size window and benefit from higher refresh rates, or is it not that simple? 

Thanks 

The max refresh rate of the monitor won't go higher than its maximum even if you lower the resolution.

EDIT: I misunderstood, yes you can run in windowed mode at a size not filling the entire screen, and still take advantage of the 144 Hz refresh rate.

Just now, Glenwing said:

The max refresh rate of the monitor won't go higher than its maximum even if you lower the resolution.

Okay, it's 144hz panel so I was hoping I could play games at 1440p when high refresh rates aren't really a concern, but when I want to play an fps game would it be possible to run the game at a higher refresh rate due to the reduced resolution? 

Thanks

The monitor is 2560x1440 resolution.

You can play in Windowed or Borderless mode and use 1920x1080 resolution if your PC is not powerful enough to run games at 2560x1440 at 144Hz.

Running 1920x1080 resolution in Windowed/Borderless mode on 32" 2560x1440 monitor would make the game window 24" in size. 

1 minute ago, Chake said:

Okay, it's 144hz panel so I was hoping I could play games at 1440p when high refresh rates aren't really a concern, but when I want to play an fps game would it be possible to run the game at a higher refresh rate due to the reduced resolution? 

Thanks

It can run at 144 Hz at all times regardless of whether you set it to 1440p or a lower resolution.

If you run your games at a reduced resolution then the framerate of them game will improve though.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It can run at 144 Hz at all times regardless of whether you set it to 1440p or a lower resolution.

If you run your games at a reduced resolution then the framerate of them game will improve though.

Awesome, thank you! This saves me buying multiple monitors now :)