components killing the GPU?

Go to solution Solved by VikingGaming,

GPU clockspeeds all of a sudden dropping to unusually low (lower than stock) speeds can be a sign of a failed overclock (AKA, the GPU driver crashes and starts in a "safe mode". All nVidia cards does this).

hello dear people.

I built my first computer about two years ago now, I'm using the same system right now as then only with a few upgrades at this time.

my problem is that the last GPU I used was an gtx 750ti. this graphics card worked fine for me though I didnt play hard core gaming that requeird much grapichs.

This card eventually droped heavely in fps and was unplayeble so I got my money back from the stor and bought a gtx 1060 6gb that i've had for less than a year and the same thing happend to this card, low fps under 20. 

I was wondering if this is the way of nature or if any one of my other components is killig the gpu. I've tried DDU and the card poses a picture on the monitor 

thanks.

ASUS geforce gtx 1060 6gb

intel core i5 4460

DDR3 800mhZ  8gb ram

gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3

Zalman z11 plus

corsair 430watt PSU

120gb HyperX ssd

750gb Seagate hdd

Corsair hydro h60 cpu cooler

standard case fans that was included with the chassi 

DVD driver

Windows 10 enterprise (on ssd)

tell me if you need something else thanks.

There should be no reason as to why your system should slowly kill GPUs, you reinstalled your OS in the time of the frame drops to see if that helps?

have you looked at your thermals? both gpu and cpu. also your usage of both of them

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

• Run Furmark or a Burn in test to check system stability.  Check thermals.  
  • If everything looks good, re-install the video drivers if you haven't yet.
  • Is it certain games doing this or all games?
  • Reinstall the OS if it's all games and a video driver installation doesn't work.
  • Try another Power Supply after the OS installation hasn't worked.

What games are you trying to play? 1060 and an i5 is not awesome, and will drop frames in some games.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, AlmightyJohn said:

<snip>

Components dying with a time delay might be caused by static discharge while you were handling it. Some climates are more susceptible then others and other factors like clothing, etc, also play a role.

When handling a component without care for ESD you might damage, but not kill it.

Take a look at this picture, courtesy of 3M:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/electronics/home/SupportTraining/ESDTraining/Photos/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_assetId=1114279298440&PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_univid=1114279298440

It shows a enlarged photo of a piece of microchip which was damaged by ESD. However the trace is not completely severed, so the chip will probably still work fine. However this weak point is very likely to cause premature death of the chip in future. So improper handling can cause damage that will only become apparent much later.

Try handling your components with ESD safety in mind next time if you don't already.

1 hour ago, UltraNet said:

There should be no reason as to why your system should slowly kill GPUs, you reinstalled your OS in the time of the frame drops to see if that helps?

I've done it multiple times

47 minutes ago, asand1 said:

What games are you trying to play? 1060 and an i5 is not awesome, and will drop frames in some games.

well I've run some benchmarks aswell and over all games like PUBG, Assaincreed and fortknite is att averge 20fps

37 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Components dying with a time delay might be caused by static discharge while you were handling it. Some climates are more susceptible then others and other factors like clothing, etc, also play a role.

When handling a component without care for ESD you might damage, but not kill it.

Take a look at this picture, courtesy of 3M:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/electronics/home/SupportTraining/ESDTraining/Photos/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_assetId=1114279298440&PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204HQ3000000_univid=1114279298440

It shows a enlarged photo of a piece of microchip which was damaged by ESD. However the trace is not completely severed, so the chip will probably still work fine. However this weak point is very likely to cause premature death of the chip in future. So improper handling can cause damage that will only become apparent much later.

Try handling your components with ESD safety in mind next time if you don't already.

I guess this could be a possebility, but I handle my computer parts with care and I've also got an ESD that I use most of the time 

I should also mention that my computer makes strange noise that I don't think is normal, It sounds like a DVD driver is trying to run a disk but fails and it really scares me 

To give you an idea, I get 59 FPS with a gtx 1080 and xeon x5680 6c/12t processor pushing all 12 threads at 50%.

For hardware intensive games you should really have an I7 or Ryzen 7 and at least a 1070.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, asand1 said:

To give you an idea, I get 59 FPS with a gtx 1080 and xeon x5680 6c/12t processor pushing all 12 threads at 50%.

For hardware intensive games you should really have an I7 or Ryzen 7 and at least a 1070.

so you don't think the GPU is dead?

No, it's just too low end for some of the games you're playing. Install monitor and tell us your temps, fan speeds, and cpu/GPU usage. 

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

3 minutes ago, AlmightyJohn said:

so you don't think the GPU is dead?

If you're seeing degrading performance in the same games, you have reason to be concerned.  If the same hardware just isn't holding up in newer games, then you just need to tone settings down.  

Just now, asand1 said:

No, it's just too low end for some of the games you're playing. Install monitor and tell us your temps, fan speeds, and cpu/GPU usage. 

well the thing is that my graphics card is running at 409 mhz and I belive it's suppose to be higher. And I play simple things as Csgo that also run below 20fps

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

If you're seeing degrading performance in the same games, you have reason to be concerned.  If the same hardware just isn't holding up in newer games, then you just need to tone settings down.  

yeah that's what I do, and the GPU is not that old so it shouldent have these types of problems

1 minute ago, AlmightyJohn said:

well the thing is that my graphics card is running at 409 mhz and I belive it's suppose to be higher. And I play simple things as Csgo that also run below 20fps

I would either swap the PSU or reseat the video card and the power cable that connects to it.  Go into Nvidia control panel and choose performance for the power setting.  Faulty power delivery could be a cause.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

I would either swap the PSU or reseat the video card and the power cable that connects to it.  Go into Nvidia control panel and choose performance for the power setting.

eh, do you think you could guide me?

Just now, AlmightyJohn said:

eh, do you think you could guide me?

To change the power setting: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

If that doesn't work, I would shut your computer down, unplug and replug your video card - both from the slot and power supply.

I would honestly replace the power supply.  CX430's aren't that good for high end graphics cards.  A bad PSU will sometimes affect your framerates.

11 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

To change the power setting: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

If that doesn't work, I would shut your computer down, unplug and replug your video card - both from the slot and power supply.

I would honestly replace the power supply.  CX430's aren't that good for high end graphics cards.  A bad PSU will sometimes affect your framerates.

well I ran a benchmark before and after I changed the powersettings and the score almost was half the score after I changed it.

With the noise you described and the low clock I wonder if your thermal throttling. Download HWMonitor and tell us your Max GPU temp, fan speeds, and CPU/GPU temps.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

14 hours ago, asand1 said:

With the noise you described and the low clock I wonder if your thermal throttling. Download HWMonitor and tell us your Max GPU temp, fan speeds, and CPU/GPU temps.

Fan speed is set to auto:

MAX: fan1 664, fan2 534 and fan3 924 rpm 

MIN: fan1 662, fan2 530 and fan3 919 rpm

GPU:

TEMP:

MAX: 30Celsius or 86Farenhite

MIN: 28Celsius or 82Farenhite

FANS:

MAX: 1425rpm

MIN: 1416rpm 

CPU:                                      Value              MIN                MAX

image.png.05d780182689f4ad17802ac1a3b5f63a.png

looks like the CPU is overheating even though I have a AIO spu cooler

Also I just noticed that the cpu fan speed is 0 rpm

my aio h60 from corsair has a single fan blowing in to the radioator and from the heatsink on the CPU theres a wire that I've connected to the CPU fan pin connector on  the mb. Is this wrong? Also one of the fans from the post before this one is the fan the radioater  blowing normal

GPU clockspeeds all of a sudden dropping to unusually low (lower than stock) speeds can be a sign of a failed overclock (AKA, the GPU driver crashes and starts in a "safe mode". All nVidia cards does this).

Quote me in replies so I see them.

18 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

My computer is not in safe mode.