components killing the GPU?

Go to solution Solved by VikingGaming,

GPU clockspeeds all of a sudden dropping to unusually low (lower than stock) speeds can be a sign of a failed overclock (AKA, the GPU driver crashes and starts in a "safe mode". All nVidia cards does this).

Just now, AlmightyJohn said:

My computer is not in safe mode.

That is not what I meant. Let me clarify: If you overclock your GPU too much (either too high memory or core clock), the GPU driver itself may crash (this is expected behaviour on nVidia GPUs if the OC is too high or otherwise unstable). The GPU driver will immediately restart (so fast that you may not notice that it crashed in the first place). When this happens, the driver will make the card go into a form of "safe mode" by limiting the core clock to way below stocks (often in the 400-500 Mhz range). This might explain what is happening in your case. Note that your system itself (Windows) does not go into safe mode when this happens.

Either way, run the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove all signs of the GPU driver from the system. Then reinstall the newest version from nVidias website. Hopefully I formulated this a bit better.

Quote me in replies so I see them.

23 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

GPU clockspeeds all of a sudden dropping to unusually low (lower than stock) speeds can be a sign of a failed overclock (AKA, the GPU driver crashes and starts in a "safe mode". All nVidia cards does this).

but I think that I might have failed an Overclock

1 minute ago, VikingGaming said:

That is not what I meant. Let me clarify: If you overclock your GPU too much (either too high memory or core clock), the GPU driver itself may crash (this is expected behaviour on nVidia GPUs if the OC is too high or otherwise unstable). The GPU driver will immediately restart (so fast that you may not notice that it crashed in the first place). When this happens, the driver will make the card go into a form of "safe mode" by limiting the core clock to way below stocks (often in the 400-500 Mhz range). This might explain what is happening in your case. Note that your system itself (Windows) does not go into safe mode when this happens.

Either way, run the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove all signs of the GPU driver from the system. Then reinstall the newest version from nVidias website. Hopefully I formulated this a bit better.

Yes i understand and my GPU runs at 400mhz at all time. But i've already tried to do that with DDU and it did not work.

Yes i understand and my GPU runs at 400mhz at all time. But i've already tried to do that with DDU and it did not work.

Weird indeed. Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there's anything listed under "Critical", "Error", or "Warning" when this happens?

6 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

Weird indeed. Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there's anything listed under "Critical", "Error", or "Warning" when this happens?

no, how can i do this? nvidias hompage?

Either search "Event Viewer" from the start menu, or open it from the Control Panel (should be under "Administrative Tools"). I have a Norwegian OS, but the layout is still the same as for any other languages. The top 3 menus are for critical, error, and warning. Just expand one view at a time, and see if you can find anything related to "VGA adapter", "nvidia", "graphics" or anything like that. I'm not the best at explaining these things (sadly), so Google might be able to help you out a little better at understanding exactly what you are looking for.

Other than that, I really don't have much else to recommend :\

event.JPG

4 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

Either search "Event Viewer" from the start menu, or open it from the Control Panel (should be under "Administrative Tools"). I have a Norwegian OS, but the layout is still the same as for any other languages. The top 3 menus are for critical, error, and warning. Just expand one view at a time, and see if you can find anything related to "VGA adapter", "nvidia", "graphics" or anything like that. I'm not the best at explaining these things (sadly), so Google might be able to help you out a little better at understanding exactly what you are looking for.

event.JPG

Thanks man I'll try this and let you know he results. 

10 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

event.JPG

so I have a lot of warning, wrongs and critical messages, what does this mean?

That is nothing to worry about. As I said, just expand the views and look for any of the ones I mentioned. As I said, Google might provide better resources for understanding the Event Viewer.

3 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

That is nothing to worry about. As I said, just expand the views and look for any of the ones I mentioned. As I said, Google might provide better resources for understanding the Event Viewer.

I have only one related to the topic that you decribe that says "Display" and I have over 4000 events from it. When I click it there is 4 levels that all says warning and the all say after I click them "Grapichs routin nvlddmkm stop responding and has been reset".

Is this something to be worried about?

There's your problem, most likely. nvlddmkm is the display driver. That means that the driver fails and resets, therefore causing your GPU clockspeed to drop massively. Does it say anything about "Event ID" when you double click on that event?

This is an older thread, but might still be relevant:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/413110/the-nvlddmkm-error-what-is-it-an-fyi-for-those-seeing-this-issue/

Anyways, if you have an overclock on your card, revert it back to stock and see if the problems persist.

3 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

There's your problem, most likely. nvlddmkm is the display driver. That means that the driver fails and resets, therefore causing your GPU clockspeed to drop massively. Does it say anything about "Event ID" when you double click on that event?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/413110/the-nvlddmkm-error-what-is-it-an-fyi-for-those-seeing-this-issue/

Anyways, if you have an overclock on your card, revert it back to stock and see if the problems persist.

okey I will read this but the overclocking was reset within the hour that I overclockt it so I don't really belive that's the issue 

8 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

What it basiclly says is that I should return it to the store. Also, the only thing that changed before and after this happend was that I bought a new 144hz monitor and connected it via DP in the Graphics card, do you think this could affect it?

What it basiclly says is that I should return it to the store. Also, the only thing that changed before and after this happend was that I bought a new 144hz monitor and connected it via DP in the Graphics card, do you think this could affect it?

No, the monitor and interface it is connected with does not impact the function/behaviour of the GPU itself.

Just now, VikingGaming said:

No, the monitor and interface it is connected with does not impact the function/behaviour of the GPU itself.

okey well I guess then that I'll have to return it to the store. Thanks for all the help