First time builder. What PSU to pick?

kiicki

I'm building my first desktop, and it primarily will be used for music production, but also some gaming. I'm really no that into gaming, but that could be because I never owned a PC that could handle it. I'm looking into trying some GTA at medium settings etc. My standards are really not that high.

This is the build I went with and I believe I need around 400w PSU, if not even lower. I still haven't bought a monitor, but I think it will be a IPS one with 27-32 inch. I got my own Samsung 840 EVO SSD that I will be using, where I probably will insert a 3.5 HDD 5400rpm later on.

Do you mind using mail-in rebates? a CX450m would be perfect for that build, and atm they're 26.99 after a rebate from NewEgg.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Do you mind using mail-in rebates? a CX450m would be perfect for that build, and 26.99 after a rebate from NewEgg.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually from the US, but I found this which I think is what you are referring to? I'm fine with the price, as long as I don't have any issues. Norwegian pricing, it all comes to $904.99

I had these as backup. I will go with that you suggested. It was also the cheapest.

Seasonic SSR-550FX Focus Plus 550W
Corsair SF450 450W

3 minutes ago, kiicki said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually from the US, but I found this which I think is what you are referring to? I'm fine with the price, as long as I don't have any issues. Norwegian pricing, it all comes to $904.99

Yeah that's the same supply as the one I linked above. 

I'm guessing that site is like the Norwegian version of PCPartPicker? :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

More like a search engine for basically anything. Works great. Keeps things simple.

20 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

One last question, would "EVGA Eco Mode B3 450W" also be good? 

7 minutes ago, kiicki said:

One last question, would "EVGA Eco Mode B3 450W" also be good? 

big issues with overpower protection, get the CX450/M or a be quiet pure power 10 instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

You might have an easier time finding the beQuiet! Pure Power 10 instead of the Corsair CX450/M. Both are good units.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

11 minutes ago, asus killer said:

why 16Gb RAM and only 3Gb VRAM?

Music production. I don't need more than 3GB for gaming I assume, and 16GB is for the music production.

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You might have an easier time finding the beQuiet! Pure Power 10 instead of the Corsair CX450/M. Both are good units.

I did find the CX450/M in stock for a good price, so I guess we are all good.

4 minutes ago, pzspah said:

IMHO I'd get something with a zero rpm function, less noise if the psu isn't being stressed. I'd save up more and get a Corsair RM550x 550W.

That being said, anything on the PSU list on here is good.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/?page=1

I was recommended the "EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W" from someone outside the forum. I'm fine with this. He said I should go EVGA or Seasonic for PSU, where the "CX450m" was just a bad budget PSU which I was recommended earlier from someone.

1 hour ago, kiicki said:

I was recommended the "EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W" from someone outside the forum. I'm fine with this. He said I should go EVGA or Seasonic for PSU, where the "CX450m" was just a bad budget PSU which I was recommended earlier from someone.

he doesn't know much about power supplies if he just blindly recommends EVGA and seasonic power supplies. the G3 is good if you can afford it but the CX450M is good quality and will also do the job just fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, kiicki said:

The CX450M is a good PSU. Don't worry about him. The G3 is definitely better, but you don't need it for a 1060 3GB.

What music production app are you using that takes advantage of that much RAM though?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, pzspah said:

That being said, anything on the PSU list on here is good.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/?page=1

I wouldn't recommend anything below Tier 3.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 hours ago, kiicki said:

Music production. I don't need more than 3GB for gaming I assume, and 16GB is for the music production.

You assume wrong.

Most modern games like to have at least 4 GiB VRAM or even more.

So get something else instead.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The CX450M is a good PSU. Don't worry about him. The G3 is definitely better, but you don't need it for a 1060 3GB.

What music production app are you using that takes advantage of that much RAM though?

RAM is "cheap" anyway. I don't really think 16GB is going overboard. I use FL Studio was my music DAW, but there are some plugins I use that is really RAM heavy, and I will most likely be multitasking too with web browser open. I have also updated my PC specs. Will be going with 1060 6GB

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You assume wrong.

Most modern games like to have at least 4 GiB VRAM or even more.

So get something else instead.

I have changed to 1060 6GB. Hopefully that will be great.

8 hours ago, kiicki said:

RAM is "cheap" anyway. I don't really think 16GB is going overboard. I use FL Studio was my music DAW, but there are some plugins I use that is really RAM heavy, and I will most likely be multitasking too with web browser open. I have also updated my PC specs. Will be going with 1060 6GB

RAM is pretty spendy but if the app you use requires more then go for it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||