Need an Expert in Keyboard Keycaps !

gh0st47

Anyone have any idea what Font are these keycaps using ?
Or it's completely customize and exclusive to this ? 
Are there any other set of keycaps have Fonts like this one ??
And why is this so freaking expensive....:o

https://originative.co/products/dsa-penumbra 

dsa_penumbra_1024x1024.png

dsapenumbra_1024x1024.jpg

Edited by gh0st47

56 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Signature Plastics custom font. All their sets have it. Buy from pimpmykeyboard.com

Any other similar to this?? Or something like GMK Carbon ?? 
GMK Carbon is expensive as hell too :o

Hmm Signature Plastic is a brand right ? I can't seem to find any of them on the store you linked me to. 
Only DSA. But DSA do have something similar...

25 minutes ago, gh0st47 said:

Any other similar to this?? Or something like GMK Carbon ?? 

Chinese knockoff, although these are often better quality for some reason . Still expensive as fuck.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Carbon-DSA-PBT-Perfect-Arc-Spherical-Keycap-White-Radium-vulture-Cherry-MX-switch-keycaps-for-Mechanical/2386080_32803021562.html

Hmm Signature Plastic is a brand right ? I can't seem to find any of them on the store you linked me to. 
Only DSA. But DSA do have something similar...

It's Signature Plastics store. They're all made by SP. 

DSA is the profile(shape) of the keycaps.

http://i.imgur.com/kFxqOm8.jpg

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Chinese knockoff, although these are often better quality for some reason . Still expensive as fuck.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Carbon-DSA-PBT-Perfect-Arc-Spherical-Keycap-White-Radium-vulture-Cherry-MX-switch-keycaps-for-Mechanical/2386080_32803021562.html

It's Signature Plastics store. They're all made by SP. 

DSA is is the profile(shape) of the keycaps.

http://i.imgur.com/kFxqOm8.jpg

DAMN ! That FONT ! I LOVE IT ! But I don't feel like buying knock off products lol....
I guess I have no choice just to save up to get them from GMK...but I do feel its bit waste of money even though I really really like it....
But I'm bit confused with the GMK Carbon set, they are literally selling the whole set of everything ?? Even the Logo keycaps not just the normal fonts ?? 
If so the price is bit reasonable. 

I didn't know there are profile name for keycaps as well lol....

The Fonts it's all depending on which set you buy and from who ? It's not a standard like the keycaps profile thing ? 

20 minutes ago, gh0st47 said:

I didn't know there are profile name for keycaps as well lol....

The Fonts it's all depending on which set you buy and from who ? It's not a standard like the keycaps profile thing ?

What about SA what does it means?

No there's not much standardization at all. With the exception of maybe OEM profile. The rest are manufacture specific, although popular ones are often copied. SA is just a different profile made by SP. See my image from my last post.

DAMN ! That FONT ! I LOVE IT ! But I don't feel like buying knock off products lol....
I guess I have no choice just to save up to get them from GMK...but I do feel its bit waste of money even though I really really like it

I don't think GMK will have that font though. Pretty sure it's specific to SP and any knockoffs of them.

16 minutes ago, gh0st47 said:

And DAMN it's expensive as well lol....the store is so weird..if's selling individual....
So If I have a 108 keyboard, I must buy TKL then buy then Numpad ?? 
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-ice-cap-keyset/

Most of the really expensive sets you see around will be all the possible keys, like the one in your original post. SP happens to let you buy piecemeal, so yes in the case of the ice cap set your would need the TKL + num pad for a full size keyboard.

The US company Signature Plastics makes many popular high profile keycaps, The German company GMK uses original Cherry molds.

Carbon originally was released in SA profile later they were made by GMK in Cherry profile, the main reason both sets are expensive as they are double shot injected keycaps... meaning the legends will never wear off.

Many old & new SP and GMK keycaps sets are available on Massdrop, about every 1-2 months you will find a new or old set available, x MiTo DSA Legacy is currently available, shortly after that we are expecting GMK Laser.

Massdrop isn’t the only option for custom keycaps by SP & GMK, sometimes they are available in group buys from stores such as originative.cokeyclack.com, and others, most if not all have an interest check on Geekhack.com... which is where you can go to look for upcoming keycaps releases.

I have ordered many keycaps sets made by both companies, and in my opinion GMK are of better quality, easier to type on, and have very good quality control, SP on the other hand have arguably the most aesthetically pleasing keycaps... however they often suffer shotty quality control and SA profile isn’t the easiest to get used to typing on.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

3 minutes ago, Tars said:

The US company Signature Plastics makes many popular high profile keycaps,

SA is the only high profile sets they make. DSA and DCS are medium height and and G20 are low profile. I'm not aware of any others but those 4.

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

SA is the only high profile sets they make. DSA and DCS are medium height and and G20 are low profile. I'm not aware of any others but those 4.

Other than DSA & SA profile, popular custom sets are rarely made using SP’s other profiles, SP makes a lot of keycaps for POS systems that probably use the other profiles.

21 hours ago, Tars said:

The US company Signature Plastics makes many popular high profile keycaps, The German company GMK uses original Cherry molds.

Carbon originally was released in SA profile later they were made by GMK in Cherry profile, the main reason both sets are expensive as they are double shot injected keycaps... meaning the legends will never wear off.

Many old & new SP and GMK keycaps sets are available on Massdrop, about every 1-2 months you will find a new or old set available, x MiTo DSA Legacy is currently available, shortly after that we are expecting GMK Laser.

Massdrop isn’t the only option for custom keycaps by SA & GMK, sometimes they are available in group buys from stores such as originative.cokeyclack.com, and others, most if not all have an interest check on Geekhack.com... which is where you can go to look for upcoming keycaps releases.

I have ordered many keycaps sets made by both companies, and in my opinion GMK are of better quality, easier to type on, and have very good quality control, SP on the other hand have arguably the most aesthetically pleasing keycaps... however they often suffer shotty quality control and SA profile isn’t the easiest to get used to typing on.

So most of these keycaps are only available in group buy and you can't get them individually for yourself ? 
Legend you meant by the Font / Letter on the keycaps ?? 

Will it be risky buying these keycaps I didn't know there are so many different profiles....but I do own Ducky YOTM Edition and a G910 Orion Spark. 
I had a set of Ducky Floating Keycaps, I don't really have any issue typing on them. For G910 Orion Spark...well you should know Logitech made weird shape keycaps for their G910. Typing wise honestly it's not comfortable or nice to type on, but gaming wise it doesn't affect me.

I be gaming more than typing honestly....do you think I will run into any issues with any of those profiles mentioned ? 

3 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

So most of these keycaps are only available in group buy and you can't get them individually for yourself ?

Mostly. But you can also check r/mechmarket if anyone is selling them, or post there that you are interested in a particular set. on pimpmykeyboard.com there are a couple sets that let you customize the colors you want, so that may be another option for you.

Legend you meant by the Font / Letter on the keycaps ?? 

The legend refers to just what ever happens to be printed on the cap. Letters or symbols or what ever.

Will it be risky buying these keycaps I didn't know there are so many different profiles

Risk what? Things not matching? Only if you are getting stuff from different sets / manufactures you need to be careful and make sure they are the same. 

If you mean risk not liking them then trying it is the only way. There are 4 profiles that make up 99.9% of things being sold now days. OEM, Cherry, DSA and SA.  OEM and Cherry profiles are pretty 'normal' and safe. Cherry is basically a lower profile version of OEM. Though don't get Cherry if you have north facing switches, (a switch where the LED through hole faces away from you) as the caps in the qwerty row can in some cases contact the switch housing when you press the switch down and cause an inconsistent feel from the other rows.

This photo will give you a better grasp of various profiles. source

2BFECDE3-D1CF-490D-8625-74E727FB8391.jpeg

12 hours ago, Tars said:

This photo will give you a better grasp of various profiles. source

2BFECDE3-D1CF-490D-8625-74E727FB8391.jpeg

I didn't know Taihao have their own Profiles too...Taihao are rather cheap and they are sold here at my local shops as well. So I wouldn't need to order from German or US. Whats your opinion on their quality? Seeing it online in videos and pics they look bit low quality... 

30 minutes ago, gh0st47 said:

I didn't know Taihao have their own Profiles too...Taihao are rather cheap and they are sold here at my local shops as well. So I wouldn't need to order from German or US. Whats your opinion on their quality? Seeing it online in videos and pics they look bit low quality... 

Tai hao caps aren’t as thick and their legends aren’t as crisp as GMK, also the profile isn’t exactly the same.

The only benefit I can see with Tai hao is they offer a lot of copies of the original sets, but are not color matched exactly.

Just as an example Carbon’s colors are custom, the designer actually went to GMK to ensure they were the colors he invisioned.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, Tars said:

Tai hao caps aren’t as thick and their legends aren’t as crisp as GMK, also the profile isn’t exactly the same.

The only benefit I can see with Tai hao is they offer a lot of copies of the original sets, but are not color matched exactly.

Just as an example Carbon’s colors are custom, the designer actually went to GMK to ensure they were the colors he invisioned.

Damn it's so difficult to find matching keycaps for my KB....do you have any good suggestion ? I think Black + Yellow be nice. 
Since my keyboard is Black with a rather eye catching Yellow lining....
C2oTtkWXEAEsNoq.jpg

1 hour ago, gh0st47 said:

Damn it's so difficult to find matching keycaps for my KB....do you have any good suggestion ? I think Black + Yellow be nice. 
C2oTtkWXEAEsNoq.jpg

Next month the ‘80’s themed set GMK Laser is going to drop on Massdrop, your board looks like a perfect candidate... it will probably be around $130 for the base-kit. 

The wait time for the keycap manufacturing will probably be 4-6 months.

Here is the offical product page: https://mitormk.com/s00n/

I will send you a PM when it drops as I will be getting it my self, though keep in mind they are not shine through caps... however you will still have RGB shine around them like in your current photo.

My set will be going on a Duck Lightsaver as soon as I build it up. http://duck0113.tistory.com/category/LIGHT SAVER

This will probably be my layout, but with Gaijin:

fm9JxpY.thumb.png.139ac20fc2601b9c0baf920361f4913c.png

7 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

If you don't want to wait months on end for Massdrop and you like that SP font you can order from them and do a customizable color set in black and yellow. And check here to see all the color samples.

Edit: Saw this on Aliexpress.

13 hours ago, geo3 said:

If you don't want to wait months on end for Massdrop and you like that SP font you can order from them and do a customizable color set in black and yellow. And check here to see all the color samples.

Edit: Saw this on Aliexpress.

I'm bit confused with the Pimpmykeyboard site..So I must buy Base, Modifier, Numpad all separately ???

39 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Correct. 

If I'm not mistaken I think it costs over 150$ if so lol. Can you double check ? I mean full set. The base itself it's already 40$ no ??

39 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Correct. 

If I'm not mistaken I think it costs over 150$ if so lol. Can you double check ? I mean full set. The base itself it's already 40$ no ??

6 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

$122 by my calculations for the TKL Base($50) + TKL Mods($40) + Full Numpad($32)

22 hours ago, Tars said:

Next month the ‘80’s themed set GMK Laser is going to drop on Massdrop, your board looks like a perfect candidate... it will probably be around $130 for the base-kit. 

The wait time for the keycap manufacturing will probably be 4-6 months.

Here is the offical product page: https://mitormk.com/s00n/

I will send you a PM when it drops as I will be getting it my self, though keep in mind they are not shine through caps... however you will still have RGB shine around them like in your current photo.

My set will be going on a Duck Lightsaver as soon as I build it up. http://duck0113.tistory.com/category/LIGHT SAVER

This will probably be my layout, but with Gaijin:

fm9JxpY.thumb.png.139ac20fc2601b9c0baf920361f4913c.png

This is kinda nice. But 130$ for " base set " as you mentioned do you mean literally just the base ? As in only the ABC ? Without Modifiers, Numpad etc ?? 
If I'm interested, must I apply for the group buy now ?