Laptop wont use dedicated graphics card

_water_freak_

My Inspiron 15 7000 series refuses to use the dedicated graphics card and instead wants to use the integrated intel HD graphics. Does anyone know how to properly fix this? i have tried many things so far and none have worked so far...

Does it continue to use the iGPU when running anything that can heavily load the GPU? Is the windows power plan thing setup so it can use the dedicated graphics card?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I had to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and enable it on my laptop. Also set your Windows Power Plan setting to Performance

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

You should be able to switch to using the dGPU only.  On my laptop, the F7 key can also be used to switch to dGPU only.

16 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Does it continue to use the iGPU when running anything that can heavily load the GPU? Is the windows power plan thing setup so it can use the dedicated graphics card?

I have tried going through the NVIDIA control panel to change it and it still says that my 1050 is being used for the HDMI output, and that the IGPU is being used for the main display. I can only get 30-40 fps on PUBG, medium to low settings. I'm not sure about the power plan 

1 minute ago, _water_freak_ said:

I have tried going through the NVIDIA control panel to change it and it still says that my 1050 is being used for the HDMI output, and that the IGPU is being used for the main display. I can only get 30-40 fps on PUBG, medium to low settings. I'm not sure about the power plan 

Do what other people have said about performance, but quick question, what CPU does your laptop have? Also, is there a way for you to monitor CPU and GPU usage in games? PUBG is well known for being very badly optimised.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Do what other people have said about performance, but quick question, what CPU does your laptop have? Also, is there a way for you to monitor CPU and GPU usage in games? PUBG is well known for being very badly optimised.

the laptop has a core i5 7300 hq with 8 gigs of ram. I am aware of PUBG's terrible optimization, but my stock dell insprion desktop with an i3 and a gtx 750 can run it better than my laptop. 

2 minutes ago, _water_freak_ said:

the laptop has a core i5 7300 hq with 8 gigs of ram. I am aware of PUBG's terrible optimization, but my stock dell insprion desktop with an i3 and a gtx 750 can run it better than my laptop. 

I mean if you've a load of background processes running, it could be that the i5 is bottlenecking the 1050.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats