Am I weird if I don’t like mechanical keyboards

akash123

I’ve done a little searching and I’ve decided to give mechanical keyboards a second chance, I used a raspberry pi keyboard which was clicky enough for me hence why I’ve disliked them for so long, but I’m starting to change my mind now about them which ones would you recommend for coding generally rather than gaming but I do like the backlighting and budget is not a issue either? 

After Linus was saying there’s no excuse why you wouldn’t use a mechanical keyboard 

It is a personal thing. I'm using a membrane keyboard currently, and am happy with it. I get RGB backlighting too. Before that I did buy a mechanical which used a switch equivalent to Cherry Reds, and I didn't like it at all. Typing just felt like it took more effort than I like. Certainly try it, but don't feel like you are forced to have one. There are a selection of switches so it is possible you might like some more than others.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Yes, you are weird, join the club, grab a cookie, and sit down! :D 

If you want a nice mechanical keyboard, I would suggest the Corsair K70 RGB, but before buying anything I would look at the different types of switches and try to find one that would suit you best.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I bought one a while ago and cursed myself for not doing it sooner. But having said that, I had a rattly old membrane from early 2000s. Definitely try switches first. I went into the shop wanting cherry reds, loathed them and walked out with browns.

I don't do RGB backlighting as I find the changing colors distracting, but I do like white so I can see the keys in the dark.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

If you don't know what you're looking for in a mechanical keyboard, I suggest you forget about it entirely and spend your $ on something more meaningful.

And no a fancy keyboard won't win you games or get you laid. Have a good day.

Speak for yourself, every lady I've met has melted like butter once I pulled out my Cherry MX Red keyboard and heard that smooth click and felt the tactile feedback ;) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I don't do RGB backlighting as I find the changing colors distracting, but I do like white so I can see the keys in the dark.

Definitely agree, having the RGB option to set a static color is great but I don't understand how people can work with the flashing rainbow stuff and other fancy effects x.x

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Definitely agree, having the RGB option to set a static color is great but I don't understand how people can work with the flashing rainbow stuff and other fancy effects x.x

I am a real sucker for flashy lighting in my PC case, to the point where I make custom lighting controllers to run chaser effects round my case and fans synced with aura music response mode, but my KB is white and mouse red. I tried an RGB keyboard once and hated it. My system has changed a bit since this video, but you get the idea 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

10 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Because u use red switch..linear switch arent good for typing..

Again, the feel is personal. I currently use a membrane keyboard for everything and love it. I like a light touch and no bumps or clicks. Reds should be the nearest to that of the common types. I still didn't like it. I'm wondering if the "fast" one would be better.

13 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

You can have static colour patterns, not just a single colour or changing colours.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Again, the feel is personal. I currently use a membrane keyboard for everything and love it. I like a light touch and no bumps or clicks. Reds should be the nearest to that of the common types. I still didn't like it. I'm wondering if the "fast" one would be better.

You can have static colour patterns, not just a single colour or changing colours.

I know, but I generally like white, so for me it doesn't make sense to spend the extra for RGB. I modified my old KB with some RGB strip, and only ran it on white, as other colors/funky static pattern made it hard to see the keys. (new ones are probably much better though.)

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Membrane has rubber dome which give u tactile feedback..

MX Speed? nah its just cheery red with 1.2 actuation distance..u still requires 45G of force..

There are 30G topre switch however its linear..i dont have much info on this one..but its gonna be expensive

I don't associate membrane keyboards with tactile feedback, unlike others I've used which give a definite click.

On the force, is that specified as force required to activate, or force required to bottom out? I assumed the latter, thus shorter movement would require less force. I even like laptop chiclet keyboards for example, although that wouldn't work for me in gaming as I also use the palm of my hands to press buttons which requires them to stick out more.

I'm hugely into mechanical keyboards now, to the point of building multi several hundred $ custom keyboards. But for many years I hated them and though people who used them were crazy. Because at that point my only experience was with crappy cheep feeling Razer and Logitech models and switches on display in Best Buy and Walmart. 

I only like Browns. Blues are too loud, Red feels strange, and Black I just can't stand. Haven't tried any others. The typing sounds of Browns are just so relaxing. Rubber Membranes are quieter and take less force to press a key so I understand why people would prefer membrane.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went ahead and bought my first mechanical keyboard and it was cm storm quick fire tk with blue switches and they sound and feel so good I’m already loving it and converting to

mechnical from now kn

On 10/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, akash123 said:

I’ve done a little searching and I’ve decided to give mechanical keyboards a second chance, I used a raspberry pi keyboard which was clicky enough for me hence why I’ve disliked them for so long, but I’m starting to change my mind now about them which ones would you recommend for coding generally rather than gaming but I do like the backlighting and budget is not a issue either? 

After Linus was saying there’s no excuse why you wouldn’t use a mechanical keyboard 

I currently use a membrane (Logitech K740) for a few reasons.

1, it was cheaper than any mechanical that had the features that I wanted at the time.

2. I used the same keyboard at work, so it was nice for my muscle memory. 

3. Have used laptop keyboards for 6 years exclusively prior to building my desktop, I was very used to the scissors style switches and low travel.

4. I don't do well with really tall keys.  I don't lift my fingers high enough sometimes to clear the distance.

5. The K740 is still pretty snappy and doesn't feel very mushy.  While it doesn't have RGB, it does have back lighting, and customizable hotkeys.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference.  While no mech, I still need my keys to be snappy. My wife actually likes the super mushy cover she put over her macbook...

• 1 month later...

I've only tried the mechanical keyboards at my small local computer shop and I find them to be very mushy. For being "tactile" and "responsive" it certainly felt like neither. I have the Logitech K750, which destroys mechanicals in that A. It's wireless, and B. is solar, so I never need batteries for it. I find the low travel and general low profile much nicer, along with being quieter.

I guess there's arguments for latency, but I don't really care on a keyboard.

#Muricaparrotgang

Nah, whatever floats your boat.  I tend to bottom out to quickly on a membrane keyboard.  I personally like Cherry Browns but I am using Logitech's Romer -G switches which I feel are a mix of Red meets Brown.  

I use the Orion G810 but if you prefer Cherry MX switches and don't need RGB the G610 series is great and cheaper

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"