Is G-Sync really worth spending an extra $300 on?

Sam_Fisher

I have an Nvidia card. I have a choice between the Asus - MG279Q and the Acer - XB271HU bmiprz. Not sure which one to get. I won't be able to use free-sync or G-Sync, but my GPU isn't capable of 144fps on ultra, perhaps on medium, but usually around 60-90.

I personally would trade G-Sync for a higher resolution monitor. Another thing to consider is do you play competitive or not. High-refresh rates only really make a difference in competitive gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just the reduction/elimination of stutter and whatnot, to me personally, is worth it.

I've got the Acer - XB271HU bmiprz myself and love it.

Another thing to consider is maybe you can't take advantage of it now but down the road you could upgrade your GPU to something that could push the max framerate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Personally, I just use V-sync.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

"Is it worth it?" is a relative question. That's up to you. Personally, the extra cost was worth it for me.

You can also go for the Dell S2716DG instead. 1440p, 144Hz and comes with G-Sync. Despite having a TN panel, it looks good once you mess with the colour settings.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

No Brainer.

Yes.

I switched from TN60Hz to IPS144Hz Gsync some time ago. Its another World.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If you're going to have to get a new graphics card to use the full potential of whatever monitor you buy, might as well save with Freesync and get a new AMD card much sooner ($300 sooner)

And no it won't be a Polaris GPU

A valid point. Is it true that G-Sync or Free-Sync can only really be utilized fully if the FPS is the exact same as the refresh rate? if I'm only getting 90fps on a 144Hz monitor that's not bad... but it won't matter if it's not free or g sync will it?

28 minutes ago, Praesi said:

No Brainer.

Yes.

I switched from TN60Hz to IPS144Hz Gsync some time ago. Its another World.

Was that because of G-Sync or IPS and 144Hz? If you went from IPS 144Hz no gsync to IPS 144hz Gsync would it still be worth it?

Got the Asus monitor. It's totally worth it, and this is comming from someone that only played CS and screen tearing all over the place. It's just a way smoother experience.