Upgrading from TekSavvyy Cable 5

rip
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,
Just now, rip said:

got any recommendations?

Just grab one of the 50+ mbit connections from TekSavvy.

This is what I have: https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/rcable-5

(400GB option)

Speed is slow, gets around 2-3MBps with speedtest but very high ping. Some sites won't load fast enough and video watching is hard.

Online gaming is simply impossible, even speedtest gets 400 PING.

Previously on Fido, speed and everything is nice but constant outages make owner want to switch to TekSavvy (I can decide with owner too).

looking for similar priced plans that's good for gaming, video streaming. Unlimited usage is preferred.

rip

Kind of need to know where you live in order to know what providers are available...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

-

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Err, no matter which ISP you go with, you maybe want more than 5mbit. o.O

And you speak of an 'Owner' so if you're renting a room or basement apartment or something from someone who's the one paying the internet, then that means you likely have at least two people, you and the owner, sharing a 5mbit connection.  That's just... Yeah the root of any problem is how slow that connection is and how much load is being put on it.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Kind of need to know where you live in order to know what providers are available...

sorry, GTA Ontario

42 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Err, no matter which ISP you go with, you maybe want more than 5mbit. o.O

And you speak of an 'Owner' so if you're renting a room or basement apartment or something from someone who's the one paying the internet, then that means you likely have at least two people, you and the owner, sharing a 5mbit connection.  That's just... Yeah the root of any problem is how slow that connection is and how much load is being put on it.

yeah there is a lot of people renting here but i doubt people are putting a lot of load on it since they are just mobile phone users 

rip

Just now, rip said:

sorry, GTA Ontario

yeah there is a lot of people renting here but i doubt people are putting a lot of load on it since they are just mobile phone users 

Cause no one uses their phone's for streaming video or music... Right?

So you have a LOT of users on a 5mbit connection?  Yeah, there's your problem.  There's no ISP who's 5mbit connection will fix this for you.  You need a better plan, not a better ISP.

...But hey, I'm the single occupant of my apartment in the GTA, with TekSavvy Cable, and I have a 250mbit plan. :P

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Cause no one uses their phone's for streaming video or music... Right?

So you have a LOT of users on a 5mbit connection?  Yeah, there's your problem.  There's no ISP who's 5mbit connection will fix this for you.  You need a better plan, not a better ISP.

...But hey, I'm the single occupant of my apartment in the GTA, with TekSavvy Cable, and I have a 250mbit plan. :P

well i saw some plans that are *advertised* as suitable for gaming and streaming, not sure about that though

(https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl/high-speed-dsl-10) might look at the unlimited option or the 400gb

I am looking for similar priced plans, should have clarified that. obviously the 5mbit connection is the major issuere 

since you are on teksavyy how often do outages happen? for me, they never tell you that FIDO is having outage unless you call them

rip

Just now, rip said:

well i saw some plans that are *advertised* as suitable for gaming and streaming, not sure about that though

(https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl/high-speed-dsl-10) might look at the unlimited option or the 400gb

I am looking for similar priced plans, should have clarified that. obviously the 5mbit connection is the major issuere 

since you are on teksavyy how often do outages happen? for me, they never tell you that FIDO is having outage unless you call them

10mbit... Can you clarify how many people actually use this internet connection first?

And I've had a few outtages with TekSavvy, normally service restoring in an hour but only a small handful in the last three years.  In addition to that there have been occasionally planned outages that are announced and happen very late at night where TekSavvy is doing service work.

But as the sole user of my connection, I've never had ping issues or anything else.  Unless i myself use one of my machines to slam the connection and that's 250mbit.  Saturating a 5mbit connection is a lot easier.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

10mbit... Can you clarify how many people actually use this internet connection first?

And I've had a few outtages with TekSavvy, normally service restoring in an hour but only a small handful in the last three years.  In addition to that there have been occasionally planned outages that are announced and happen very late at night where TekSavvy is doing service work.

But as the sole user of my connection, I've never had ping issues or anything else.  Unless i myself use one of my machines to slam the connection and that's 250mbit.  Saturating a 5mbit connection is a lot easier.

Around 10 people. But not simultaneously I think. Though would that really affect with latency much?

Well with FIDO, outage lasts quite a long time, sometimes up to 3-4 hours or a day.

rip

2 minutes ago, rip said:

Around 10 people. But not simultaneously I think. Though would that really affect with latency much?

Holy shit... 10 people on a 5mbit connection? o__________________o

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Holy shit... 10 people in a 5mbit connection? o__________________o

yes, the house is for rent as you can guess. 

rip

8 minutes ago, rip said:

sorry, GTA Ontario

I have to agree with @AshleyAshes you just need to spend a little more and get a better plan. A mere $17/month would get you an 8x increase. If you have 10 people on a connection like that, it'll slow down. Hell I've had 3 people on a 50 connection, and it slowed down. If there's 10 of you it should be easy to spread out the cost.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, rip said:

yes, the house is for rent as you can guess. 

Yeah at this point I figured it was a rooming house or similar situation.  And I'm going to guess that it's one where the property owner is keeping expenses as low as possible, hence the cheapest of internet plans despite it being woefully inadequate for the number if residents.  I'd say 'GTFO' but I'd guess you can't afford better.

I dunno what to say.  The problem is that it's 10 people on one utterly basic connection.  Even if they're just using their phones, between that many users, streaming audio, streaming video and other stuff, it's just not going to work very well.  5mbit isn't even that great for ONE user.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I have to agree with @AshleyAshes you just need to spend a little more and get a better plan. A mere $17/month would get you an 8x increase. If you have 10 people on a connection like that, it'll slow down. Hell I've had 3 people on a 50 connection, and it slowed down. If there's 10 of you it should be easy to spread out the cost.

owner's renting the place for other people so they just pay the rent, i have no control over that

the previous connection was 60 and it was fine if not the outage that made us switch to teksavvyy

rip

5 minutes ago, rip said:

owner's renting the place for other people so they just pay the rent, i have no control over that

the previous connection was 60 and it was fine if not the outage that made us switch to teksavvyy

Still, paying the extra $17 is pretty much the bare minimum.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Still, paying the extra $17 is pretty much the bare minimum.

got any recommendations?

rip

Just now, rip said:

got any recommendations?

Just grab one of the 50+ mbit connections from TekSavvy.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler