Floatplane videos slow

johnkristian

Hi
I just signed up for a 1 year floatplane membership.

When trying to watch scrapyard wars 6 ep3, video loads very sow, having buffer issues.

Downloading the video is also very slow. Countdown timer says 2 hours do download a video under 1GB. 

I'm on a 150/150 fiber connection, so issue is not on my side.

Is it normal that floatplane videos are so slow? If so, I really don't think the price is worth it, it's almost unwatchable.

Same issues. I guess people are all watching at the same time.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Report the video to floatplanehelp@gmail.com . They aren't Google with hundreds of servers and people are smashing connection with SYW finale just landing. But atleast its easier to pinpoint issue if you provide needed info. Like your location and maybe ISP. I know my previous ISP wasn't really happy about watching videos in FP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OK, thnx! will send an e-mail.
My ISP have no restrictions whatsoever
They charge money for this ... it should be watchable. There are plenty of affordable cloud solution that could host this without issues, float plane club hasn't THAT many viewers. There really are no excuse for this.

Floatplane is still only in a "development" stage, you can't expect it to run perfectly. Especially when SW get's released and literally 100's of people will be trying to stream and/or download it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I don't agree. Since they charge money for it, it should work. You pay for being able to watch the videos ... i can't watch the videos.

If it's suffering SO much for being under development,they shouldn't charge money for it if it's unusable.
100's of people is really nothing.
Had it been 100.000's of people, it might have been an argument.

Literally trying to download SW e04 720p on an 150mbps internet connection... ;-;;; 527599286ed8a45ca150c5752aac67a9.png.d04cf38e9d183b5fe96cb242c3b123cb.png

i cri

10 minutes ago, johnkristian said:

I don't agree. Since they charge money for it, it should work. You pay for being able to watch the videos ... i can't watch the videos.

If it's suffering SO much for being under development,they shouldn't charge money for it if it's unusable.
100's of people is really nothing.
Had it been 100.000's of people, it might have been an argument.

No-one forced you into paying for it.. and its only 2.99/month, hardly breaking the bank.

You're saying it should work, which it does, it's just being slow due to high traffic/demand, which can happen with any streaming services/site.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

yup. that was more or less what I saw too. Said 2 hours right at the beginning ... didn't bother to wait 2 hours for downloading a file under 1GB.

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

No-one forced you into paying for it.. and its only 2.99/month, hardly breaking the bank.

You're saying it should work, which it does, it's just being slow due to high traffic/demand, which can happen with any streaming services/site

When I signed up for a year (and paid for a year), it didn't say "bandwith from 1998" either. It's not that I think it's expensive ... it just that it sucks. Now stop being a dick. If you don't agree that people should be able to watch the videos they are paying for, gtfo.

17 minutes ago, johnkristian said:

When I signed up for a year (and paid for a year), it didn't say "bandwith from 1998" either. It's not that I think it's expensive ... it just that it sucks. Now stop being a dick. If you don't agree that people should be able to watch the videos they are paying for, gtfo.

I assure you it’s a lot more than 100s of people, and regardless of restrictions on your connection it’s quite possible your ISPs link to us is bottlenecked for some reason. 

BUT I’m also not making excuses here. I’ve reached out to Luke about this thread so he can investigate. 

Believe me, this isn't a ISP issue. 
I use one of norways best, if not the best fiber isp's in Norway. I personally know several of the emplyees at my ISP, since it's wery close to where I live. And Some of those who work there on the technical side has been my colleagues earlier. Due to this, i know they have good peering to US and Canada. It's NOT a ISP issue.
However, thanks for investigating.

I noticed the set construction update 2 video loaded MUCH quicker than the  scrapyard wars videos. The first whole section buffered -instantly- when I started to play it. But the scrapyard wars videos is still limping along, even on 720p.

scrapyward wars ep4 not buffering more than this, ever.

image.png.517c0b016129c75f590caf83ed3f25c8.png

Set update 2 video buffered this instantly:
image.png.f304a31def7b79f9e25989c2ad133d45.png

6 minutes ago, johnkristian said:

Believe me, this isn't a ISP issue. 
I use one of norways best, if not the best fiber isp's in Norway. I personally know several of the emplyees at my ISP, since it's wery close to where I live. And Some of those who work there on the technical side has been my colleagues earlier. Due to this, i know they have good peering to US and Canada. It's NOT a ISP issue.
However, thanks for investigating.

I noticed the set construction update 2 video loaded MUCH quicker than the  scrapyard wars videos. The first whole section buffered -instantly- when I started to play it. But the scrapyard wars videos is still limping along, even on 720p.

Key word in there is Norway.

I'd guess that floatplane's servers are located in Canada, or possibly the US. Just because you have a fast internet connection to a local area for a speed test local doesn't mean you'll have a good connection to somewhere about half way around the world.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

17ms pingtime to the servers and my isp has great peering to canada. 
If you actually look at thie pictures i posted, One of the other videos buffers instantly, scrapyard wars video almost doesn't buffer at all.
Never had problems downloading from canadian servers earlier. Again: This is not a isp/country issue.

Just so you are aware @Slick @LinusTech, I seem to be having connection issues as well. I am attempting to stream and/or download SYW 6 Pt. 4 on Floatplane and both options are running unusually slow today. I am located in Vermont, US and although it maybe my ISP I don't normally have any issues on FP nor am I having any issues with 1080p/720p content on YT currently. Also because I realize it is sometimes difficult to interpret someone's 'tone' in writing I want to be clear, to all the e-crusaders I absolutely love the content and am happy subscriber of LTT, LMG, and FP. I just want to add to this thread so that Luke is aware it is not an isolated incident experienced only by one elf at the North Pole. ;)  

Thanks @Slick & @LinusTech Keep up the great work and I really appreciate your responsiveness to people's issues and concerns.

PCPartPicker - System Build: Ryzen 1700/GTX 980 Ti + Networking & Peripherals

Folding@Home - User Stats: erikr_cFolding.ExtremeOverclocking.com

BOINC - User Stats: erikr_cBOINCstats.com

I actually only got 5 hops to cms.linustechtips.com
In comparison, I got 10 hops to youtube.com and twice the ping time

How many do you got erikr_c, slick and you who thinks this is a country/isp issue?

image.png.181129a76371f6b86b5e00c248e46ea6.png

I'm not sure if I did this correctly or what is considered a "good" number but I ran tracert to linustechtips.com, cms.linustechtips.com, & 104.27.140.189

59ebda28c2851_FP-Issue(2017-10-21).gif.3b7cc234f3bc251e251255302066c095.gif

It looks like I lost a few packets and even timed out once on the first 2 but they are also listing MAC addresses so I'm not sure if those are correct.

i tried a traceroute to edge01-na.floatplaneclub.com/ where the (downloadable) videos seems to be hosted, and that was a completely different story 

@johnkristian Just so you are aware this was posted by @CatBoiler  who works with @Slick on Floatplane in the SYW 6 Part 4 thread

28 minutes ago, CatBoiler said:

Floatplane Users,

We're currently receiving a higher than normal load on the servers. You might be impacted depending on your location. The problem being that some servers are having ressource starvation because of a bug with the cache system used by our streaming software. 

I have just done a general infrastructure reset for the streaming servers to temporarily mitigate the issue and it seems to have work.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, this is not the user experience that we want our users to have and we're going to work hard to prevent these kinds of issues in the future.

18 minutes ago, johnkristian said:

i tried a traceroute to edge01-na.floatplaneclub.com/ where the (downloadable) videos seems to be hosted, and that was a completely different story 

When I tried it for that address the 10th HOP took 50ms and all HOPs after that timed out

Also my download completed about 15 minutes ago but the video would not play, so I guess I'll attempt to stream it again a little later :) 

P.S. - Thanks @CatBoiler for working on fixing this issue

Hi everyone! 

I'm in charge of the FPC infrastructure. We planned ahead an bought a LOT of network capacity to make sure that we wouldn't have a problem with SYW videos, but I did a huge mistake, I didn't have time to do load testing, so I assumed that hardware-wise, the servers that we deployed would be more than enough. I was right and wrong. Right because the configuration that we deployed should be plenty enough, but wrong because of an issue with the caching system built into our streaming software. I have contacted the software support to further troubleshoot this issue and come up with a solution that, thankfully, will prevent future issues like the one that we got tonight.

Number wise, we got a peak of ~4000 simultaneous connections (Streaming and Downloads) on the whole CDN. with a network peak usage of ~4Gbps. The current infrastructure is built to handle more than 10Gbps.

If you have any questions, please quote me and I'll try to reply in the scope that I'm allowed to.

Thank you,

My stream is loading now! :) 

Thank you @CatBoiler, @Slick, @LinusTech and anyone else who helped resolve the issues. We really appreciate your work and are excited to watch the SYW finale :D