Floatplane videos slow

johnkristian
44 minutes ago, CatBoiler said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm in charge of the FPC infrastructure. We planned ahead an bought a LOT of network capacity to make sure that we wouldn't have a problem with SYW videos, but I did a huge mistake, I didn't have time to do load testing, so I assumed that hardware-wise, the servers that we deployed would be more than enough. I was right and wrong. Right because the configuration that we deployed should be plenty enough, but wrong because of an issue with the caching system built into our streaming software. I have contacted the software support to further troubleshoot this issue and come up with a solution that, thankfully, will prevent future issues like the one that we got tonight.

Number wise, we got a peak of ~4000 simultaneous connections (Streaming and Downloads) on the whole CDN. with a network peak usage of ~4Gbps. The current infrastructure is built to handle more than 10Gbps.

If you have any questions, please quote me and I'll try to reply in the scope that I'm allowed to.

Thank you,

Thank you very much for your reply.
As I suspected, this was never a ISP or country issue. 
Very nice of you to give such a detailed explanation. Keep up the good work!

Thread can probably be closed now.

12 hours ago, johnkristian said:

OK, thnx! will send an e-mail.
My ISP have no restrictions whatsoever
They charge money for this ... it should be watchable. There are plenty of affordable cloud solution that could host this without issues, float plane club hasn't THAT many viewers. There really are no excuse for this.

FP has almost 14k subs. Not all of them watch at the same time ofc, and sure there are services capable of delivering such seamless service. But with what costs? With single video file for download ranging from 300MB to 1.5Gb.

11 hours ago, RKRiley said:

No-one forced you into paying for it.. and its only 2.99/month, hardly breaking the bank.

You're saying it should work, which it does, it's just being slow due to high traffic/demand, which can happen with any streaming services/site.

Still, if you pay for service you expect it to work. In this situation that kind of talk is completely unnecessary. Patience is would be better to call. This happens with premier videos and isn't constant issue. However, in current times it seems like patience even with paid services has been lost somewhere. Its like people don't remember early-2000s with 1st gen of ADSL connections.

11 hours ago, johnkristian said:

Believe me, this isn't a ISP issue. 
I use one of norways best, if not the best fiber isp's in Norway.

Trust me, it doesn't matter if you would worlds best ISP. I had university 100/100. Only thing it ever had problems was FP streaming. Everything else worked without issues. Plus streaming worked just fine with every other connection, including my 4g, I tried. It can be ISP issues, but this case it wasn't. You actually don't know without calling them and asking.

11 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I'd guess that floatplane's servers are located in Canada, or possibly the US. Just because you have a fast internet connection to a local area for a speed test local doesn't mean you'll have a good connection to somewhere about half way around the world.

They have European servers (Germany or Netherlands if memory serves).

10 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Don't know if they already use it, but they could take a look at P2P video/file distribution: https://webtorrent.io/ or https://www.peer5.com/

Torrents are already ruled out for security reasons and since CatBoiler doesn't like working with that system. As for the other, pricing could make it not worth the trouble in longer use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 22.10.2017 at 2:14 AM, CatBoiler said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm in charge of the FPC infrastructure. We planned ahead an bought a LOT of network capacity to make sure that we wouldn't have a problem with SYW videos, but I did a huge mistake, I didn't have time to do load testing, so I assumed that hardware-wise, the servers that we deployed would be more than enough. I was right and wrong. Right because the configuration that we deployed should be plenty enough, but wrong because of an issue with the caching system built into our streaming software. I have contacted the software support to further troubleshoot this issue and come up with a solution that, thankfully, will prevent future issues like the one that we got tonight.

Number wise, we got a peak of ~4000 simultaneous connections (Streaming and Downloads) on the whole CDN. with a network peak usage of ~4Gbps. The current infrastructure is built to handle more than 10Gbps.

If you have any questions, please quote me and I'll try to reply in the scope that I'm allowed to.

Thank you,

Hi @CatBoiler thanks for addressing the problem. Unfortunately it still persists for me (reports have been filed). could you look into what makes the issue persistent? Happy to support Floatplane with a one year membership and looking forward for this issue to be over. Thanks for all of your work and with kind regards, MortusAntePortas