Should I use a local windows account or a Microsoft account?????

VoltaIsFuture

Just want to know what is the better option???

Which one do most of you power users choose??

I use a microsoft account personally, I see no disadvantages of it but the advantage of having all my stuff sync across different computers is nice (Background, calendar)

Just now, VoltaIsFuture said:

Just want to know what is the better option???

Which one do most of you power users choose??

Local account is more flexible and more data secure.

Microsoft account is more convenient and has some features that aren't enabled if you use a Local Account.

I use a Microsoft account with my PC because the sync and automatic sign-in stuff is a big benefit for me.

It's like asking if you should use a Google account on your Android phone or just rock it without using the Play services, except "side loading" apps on the PC is the way most users are used to it, and Microsoft's version of the Play store has sweet f all for apps.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Local account is more flexible and more data secure.

Microsoft account is more convenient and has some features that aren't enabled if you use a Local Account.

I use a Microsoft account with my PC because the sync and automatic sign-in stuff is a big benefit for me.

It's like asking if you should use a Google account on your Android phone or just rock it without using the Play services, except "side loading" apps on the PC is the way most users are used to it, and Microsoft's version of the Play store has sweet f all for apps.

Ya but I think you can run the windows store on a local account!! 

3 minutes ago, VoltaIsFuture said:

Ya but I think you can run the windows store on a local account!! 

Yeah, if you sign in to the Microsoft store with a Microsoft account, and then tell it not to link them when it asks to.

But at that point you're identifying your Microsoft account to your hardware anyways, so what's the point of avoiding it at that point?

If you ever wan to upgrade your motherboard or replace your PC you need to link your windows copy to a microsoft account.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah, if you sign in to the Microsoft store with a Microsoft account, and then tell it not to link them when it asks to.

But at that point you're linking your Microsoft account to your hardware anyways, so what's the point of avoiding it at that point?

I dont know,umm. I am watching barnacles windows install guides, and tek syndicate windows install guide and they all do this. They use a local account, then sign in to the microsoft store without linking the whole pc into a Microsoft account. Does Linus even use a microft account. How does the cloud sync thing work on windows, does it work well???

Just now, Enderman said:

If you ever wan to upgrade your motherboard or replace your PC you need to link your windows copy to a microsoft account.

Ya i Know but I am not planning on my upgrading my pc, If you take a look at my pc build there is not much room for upgrade other then GPU. I am just going to build soon a new system with a 8700k/1700/9700k and use a volta or pascal gpu and buy  new windows 10. 

IIRC you can use a google account as well ... but dont quote me on that. I cannot remember who or where I read it from.

From a personal standpoint it falls on you whether or not you want function and ease of usability versus a more secure system... but then again security is only limited by how and here you access the internet. /shrug

I personally use my ms account and I also use a windows mobile phone so it makes since for my daily use to do this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, VoltaIsFuture said:

Ya i Know but I am not planning on my upgrading my pc, If you take a look at my pc build there is not much room for upgrade other then GPU. I am just going to build soon a new system with a 8700k/1700/9700k and use a volta or pascal gpu and buy  new windows 10. 

Don't you already have windows 10? Why would you spend another $120 when you can use the same copy??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Don't you already have windows 10? Why would you spend another $120 when you can use the same copy??

First i can get one from the grey market, second I dont know, what if i want to give my personal rig for my parents to use, and build a new rig with a fresh installing of windows, then I would probably have to buy another version of windows right??? Because for every pc i Build I need to buy windows again right ??

I use the MS account on my computers that ONLY I use.

The benefits outweigh the down sides for me, personally.