Upgrade Plans (From i5 6500 to which CPU)

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
20 minutes ago, ZakuII said:

In that case to give her the computer as is and put together either the Ryzen 7 1700 or the i5 8600k, both are very solid picks, streaming quality should be better on the Ryzen 7 being something that those extra threads truly help out, video editing and multi tasking should also be nicer if you do a lot of it.

The i5 8600k is not that much behind on it and as far as single thread performance goes it is the latest and greatest alright, the only way right now to get more fps in games would be going with the big brother i7 8700 / i7 8700k.

One thing should be noticed though, this is a lot of CPU horse power, like a lot, you're still very limited graphically, a common 1920x1080p60hz display has already gotten quite behind latest offerings, the RX 480 also only is mid range, It won't particularly matter over spend here and cheap up on the other side, a PC has to be balanced.

A few months ago, I posted a thread about an upgrade path that I should pursue. Fast forward to now and I still haven't made the upgrade to Ryzen. And a good call for my part since coffee lake just got recently released. But now, I'm having more of a difficult time to decide which I should go for.

I'm leaning on an i5-8600k (going to OC to atleast close to 5ghz) or a Ryzen 5 1600x (paired with X370 Taichi or a decent B350 motherboard that can reach 4ghz flat OC only if possible).

I'll list all the intended use for the rig below.

1. Mainly gaming (AAA Titles and latest titles like Shadow of War, the upcoming Assassin's Creed Origins, etc.,) at 1080p @ 60hz (144hz in December hopefully).

2. Video Recording and editing (mostly recording games at 1080p 60hz and gonna edit them to upload on YT) 

3. Streaming (something that won't lag for the viewers if ever. Say 1080p 60fps?).

I'm planning to keep my RAM, PSU, and GPU to be used in the next build. Buying a new case for this one (Eyeing the Fractal Meshify C).

Ram = 8gb 2x4gb DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX CL14

PSU = Seasonic M12II 750w evo ed

GPU = XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition

Or is there something else that I should change or upgrade? Can you guys offer me some suggestions like if I were to purchase an i5 8600k, what are the things that still needs to be upgraded (other than the obvious motherboard and CPU), or if I were to purchase a Ryzen 5 1600x (ram concerns and motherboard selections)?

Thanks in advance you guys. 

I'd use the I5-8600k I am sticking with only Ryzen due to being a editor and it helps me having the 8 cores.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

If you're going for a 144 hz monitor soon, as you stated, wouldn't a better GPU be the way to go?

Just now, BabyPCMR said:

If you're going for a 144 hz monitor soon, as you stated, wouldn't a better GPU be the way to go?

Actually, that's somewhat the least of my concerns since the main focus is for vid editing, streaming, and then gaming. I didn't actually placed them in order of importance. I just dotted them down to what I'll be using the new rig for. Lol.

The GPU can wait. The cpu and motherboard? Not really if I'm planning on vid recording / streaming / editing first and foremost :)

I woudn't upgrade at all.The 6500 is a pretty good CPU.Either get like a 1080 or a 7700k

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I woudn't upgrade at all.The 6500 is a pretty good CPU.Either get like a 1080 or a 7700k

7700k? My mobo will support it, but won't be able to overclock it (I'm using a b350m motherboard :P)

Just now, ZakuII said:

7700k? My mobo will support it, but won't be able to overclock it (I'm using a b350m motherboard :P)

7700 then

My life

I'd go with the cheapest route and get an i7 7700

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

7700 then

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'd go with the cheapest route and get an i7 7700

That's actually not a bad suggestion. I was just holding off on that CPU since :

1. This current rig will be handed down to my fiance (excluding PSU, RAM, and GPU)

2. If I were to go that upgrade path (i7 7700), I won't be able to give this rig to her since I'll be using this instead and I'll be forced to build her a new rig on the latest platform

It's giving me a headache. 

20 minutes ago, ZakuII said:

In that case to give her the computer as is and put together either the Ryzen 7 1700 or the i5 8600k, both are very solid picks, streaming quality should be better on the Ryzen 7 being something that those extra threads truly help out, video editing and multi tasking should also be nicer if you do a lot of it.

The i5 8600k is not that much behind on it and as far as single thread performance goes it is the latest and greatest alright, the only way right now to get more fps in games would be going with the big brother i7 8700 / i7 8700k.

One thing should be noticed though, this is a lot of CPU horse power, like a lot, you're still very limited graphically, a common 1920x1080p60hz display has already gotten quite behind latest offerings, the RX 480 also only is mid range, It won't particularly matter over spend here and cheap up on the other side, a PC has to be balanced.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Will take into considerations all the things that you said and pointed out. Thank you so much. :)