client computer build for 4k movies but not gaming

Go to solution Solved by brob,
Just now, clutchmaster said:

hey brob do you think the gt 1030 sc will safice for this pc???

Lucky I was online. If you want someone to get a notification either quote them or use @ followed by their username, case sensitive. As you type a list will popup, select the user from the list.

GT 1030 should suffice.

ok for some reason my clients computer is struggling to play 4k movies on his 4k tv i want to avoid buying anymore new parts but i suspect that hes gonna need to get another graphics card. im thinking on a gtx 1050ti 
and getting a long enough displayport cable with an hdmi 2.0 adaptor.

system specs:
windows 7 64bit
intel core-i5 7400 kaby lake
Patriot Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133mhz ddr4
asrock h110m-dvp
gigabyte radeon r7 350 2 gigabyte vram [no extra power connections]
650 watt power supply
he is using an old 35-45 foot hdmi cord
and a cheap $15 sound card but he uses an audio switcher to switch to hdmi audio when using his 4k tv
the tv only has hdmi ports

2 minutes ago, clutchmaster said:

ok for some reason my clients computer is struggling to play 4k movies on his 4k tv i want to avoid buying anymore new parts but i suspect that hes gonna need to get another graphics card. im thinking on a gtx 1050ti 
and getting a long enough displayport cable with an hdmi 2.0 adaptor.

system specs:
windows 7 64bit
intel core-i5 7400 kaby lake
Patriot Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133mhz ddr4
asrock h110m-dvp
gigabyte radeon r7 350 2 gigabyte vram [no extra power connections]
650 watt power supply
he is using an old 35-45 foot hdmi cord
and a cheap $15 sound card but he uses an audio switcher to switch to hdmi audio when using his 4k tv
the tv only has hdmi ports

GPU is definitely the problem. 1050 or 1050 ti will be perfect.

https://forums.evga.com/GTX-1050-4k-60Hz-over-HDMI-support-m2646477.aspx

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

The fact that the card only supports resolutions up to 2560x1600 or 2048x1536 (according to this link: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-R735OC-2GI-rev-10#sp) might explain it :)

Definitely a 1050, or even a 1030, should do the job.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Try running it on integrated graphics first before buying a new GPU.

Good idea, I keep forgetting iGPU, lol.

So long as the board as a Display Port, it can do 4K at 60Hz, or 4K at 24Hz without it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

yeah that GPU is really old.

1050Ti for max performance, but even a 1050 could easily rip through 4K playback

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

id say lower than a 1050 if it is only for 4k vid playback as the onboard decoding, cause if not gaming then theres not really much point spending out on a card that costs extra to not be used

yeah, a 1050 is MORE than fine for 4k movies. 

i have one, and i can play slightly older games in nvidia surround on 3 1080p displays, effectively 3K...

just make sure that the card you get has the right versions of displayport and the correct max resolution (varies by card and brand of the card)

She/Her

Just now, moltencrystal said:

id say lower than a 1050 if it is only for 4k vid playback as the onboard decoding, cause if not gaming then theres not really much point spending out on a card that costs extra to not be used

a 1050 is MUCH faster than a 1030 or something. and way better value. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

a 1050 is MUCH faster than a 1030 or something. and way better value. 

maybe so, but a client will always like to see a smaller bill rather than a larger one

1 minute ago, moltencrystal said:

maybe so, but a client will always like to see a smaller bill rather than a larger one

true, but i would pick a 1050 over a 1030 any day of the week. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Try running it on integrated graphics first before buying a new GPU.

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Good idea, I keep forgetting iGPU, lol.

So long as the board as a Display Port, it can do 4K at 60Hz, or 4K at 24Hz without it.

^This

Also, as it's an HTPC, is he playing the videos directly or from a NAS?  and if so is he using kodi or plex? or something else?

I love plex, but I have found out recently that a few of my 4k vids almost max out my server 90% approx, when playing them through plex. Those same files, played on the same device, but using kodi does nothing to my server at all, it's still like 2-4% usage. And this is on an i7 6700K at stock, with nothing else running at the time of the testing... server is running freenas with no problems whatsoever.

I'm not asking for help here, I have tried many things with the plex settings to see what the problem is... and it even won't play it sometimes if I set it to force direct play instead of transcoding.

Anyway, this was just a heads-up to say that if you want a no hassle playback for 4K I would highly suggest Kodi as it will direct play without any involvement from the user.

I always used to use Kodi anyway, ever since xbox original days (XBMC)... at least when it was finally available for PCs that is, took a few years IIRC. So since that incident a few days ago I am now using BOTH kodi and plex, plex for TV shows and most movies in case I decide to stop and continue on another device or whatever, and Kodi for 4k playback.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

me to, i just know that saying you need a 75 dollar gpu is a lot easier than a 150 dollar gpu

2 minutes ago, moltencrystal said:

me to, i just know that saying you need a 75 dollar gpu is a lot easier than a 150 dollar gpu

1050 not worth it.Just get a Xbox for a extra 40 bucks.It's a lot better value

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

1050 not worth it.Just get a Xbox for a extra 40 bucks.It's a lot better value

if the client has asked for a PC for 4k playback you are not going to do well giving them an xbox

Just now, moltencrystal said:

if the client has asked for a PC for 4k playback you are not going to do well giving them an xbox

You are going to get a much better experience on XBOX and your probably going to buy a Xbox controller anyways

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

You are going to get a much better experience on XBOX and your probably going to buy a Xbox controller anyways

that's your opinion, but as a seller you at least try and deliver what the client wants. 

If you ordered an xbox off amazon and amazon delivered a ps4 because they thought it was better for a certain use, you would have every right be annoyed and want a refund/ replacement as it wasn't what you ordered. If the client here wanted a PC for 4k playback then thats what you deliver

H110-DVP motherboard has DVI-D and D-Sub ports, no HDMI or DP. It supports up to 1080p.

Best solution seems to be replacing the gpu. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

• 2 weeks later...

all video is off of the computer with a 2 terabyte hdd plus a dying 1 terabyte hdd, OS drive is a 250gb ssd

and i believe he has replaced the hdmi cable he hasnt updated me on that though plus he plans on running all his cables under the floor though the basement so his hdmi cable will be more then 50 feet so im thinking hes gonna have to consider going with shorter cables with a signal booster to conpensate

Just now, clutchmaster said:

hey brob do you think the gt 1030 sc will safice for this pc???

Lucky I was online. If you want someone to get a notification either quote them or use @ followed by their username, case sensitive. As you type a list will popup, select the user from the list.

GT 1030 should suffice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.