how many rads do i need for 3 way titan sli and a 3930k

Go to solution Solved by DakTannon,

I mounted a pwm delta fan on b the side panel to blow air on the Southbridge works great and helps cool the titans also win win for 40 bucks and with pwm I can turn down to like 800 rpm but when temps rise speed fan can crank it as high as necessary

right now I have an h220 240 rad with 14 fpi and a single 120mm mcrx20 rad with 20 fpi cooling a 3930k @ 4.6ghz and 3way titan sli on air in  Corsair C70

zFayZ5dl.jpg

until recently It was a 2 way sli and all was good but now after adding the 3rd card they are suffocating the active fan on the motherboard that cools the PLX chips and the VRM (both heatsinks are connected by a heat pipe) and the aluminum body of the cards are transferring heat to the south bridge and VRM luckily my push pull configuration when turn to high rpm can pull air through the VRM heat sink fast enough to help out also turn the titan fans to high helps also

GELBCXpl.jpg

but this is noisy so I was thinking of switching out the pump/bock for an

Apogee Drive II

APOGEE-DRIVE-IIx600.jpg

and the radiators for a Radiator, 1x120mm 30-FPI Copper

hx-cu420v_p1-228x228.jpg

and 2 Radiator, 2x120mm 30-FPI Copper

hx-cu720v_p1-228x228.jpg

one for the ceiling and one for the basement

exbw5S6l.jpg

both in push pull so do you guys think 5x 120mm wiith 30 fpi will be enough for watercooling 3 way titan sli and a 3930k @ 4.6ghz

one 120mm RAD per block is the rule of thumb.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

cool thanks I was worried cause the 3930k needed at least 2x120mm rad to be cooled properly and I didn't know how much each titan would need

Damn, nice system (Clean it up a bit).

On topic, I think that 1x140mm/block will be fine for your case

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

3 titans,  yeah and what the doctor said, get a bigger case.

Id say, a surface area of at least 6 x 120 x 60

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

if I could find some creative places to put my hdd and ssd I might be able to mount another rad on the front where the drive cage is and a as for as the case size the C70 is the biggest case I can have any bigger and it won't fit in my car and I do take this beast places lol the metal handles was one of the major selling points with I was choosing this case as well as the the all steel construction very sturdy for when I carry it around

this if going to be a 4k gaming rig as soon as they make a small enough 4k monitor that I can carry it with me I am buying one, dell is talking about a 24in and 29in 60 hetz 4k panel I am waiting with baited breath

Damn, nice system (Clean it up a bit).

On topic, I think that 1x140mm/block will be fine for your case

yeah lol still kind of a work in progress as it is I have to rma the ram one stick failed and if I choose to go all water I am gonna clean everything up re do my cable management and make all my tubing runs nice and neat

Id say, a surface area of at least 6 x 120 x 60

don't think I can fit 60mm rads in this case that is why I was going for standard thickness 30 FPI rads instead

I would buy a Corsair 900D case and tons of rad space. If you really want to water cool properly with quiet fans I use a formula a poster known as BrightCandle gave to me for rad needed. It is based upon 120mm rad space with a fan running at 800rpm to achieve a 10 Degree delta. The numerator is total thermal output and the denominator is 130. the product = the number of 120mm rads needed. I have a 3930k OC'd to 4.4Ghz (@200Watts max) plus 2 GTX670FTWs water cooled and OC'd (@200Watts each max). the calculation is 600/130=5 rad spaces. I'm using a XSPC RX360 + a XSPC EX360. I'm using a CM 932 Advanced case so I externally mounted the EX360. My system runs cool.

Let's turn to yours. A 3930k @4.6 Ghz is pushing 225Watts easy. The Titans are 250Watts each max? 225+750=975. 975/130= 7 rad spaces minimum. Just my 2 cents but to do a quality water cooled job you are going to need more radiator space to properly cool.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

I would buy a Corsair 900D case and tons of rad space. If you really want to water cool properly with quiet fans I use a formula a poster known as BrightCandle gave to me for rad needed. It is based upon 120mm rad space with a fan running at 800rpm to achieve a 10 Degree delta. The numerator is total thermal output and the denominator is 130. the product = the number of 120mm rads needed. I have a 3930k OC'd to 4.4Ghz (@200Watts max) plus 2 GTX670FTWs water cooled and OC'd (@200Watts each max). the calculation is 600/130=5 rad spaces. I'm using a XSPC RX360 + a XSPC EX360. I'm using a CM 932 Advanced case so I externally mounted the EX360. My system runs cool.

Let's turn to yours. A 3930k @4.6 Ghz is pushing 225Watts easy. The Titans are 250Watts each max? 225+750=975. 975/130= 7 rad spaces minimum. Just my 2 cents but to do a quality water cooled job you are going to need more radiator space to properly cool. He said that he likes to take his computer places so I dont thinkva case that's 2x as big and doesnt have handles?

He said that he likes to take his computer places so I dont think a case that's 2x as big and doesnt have handles would be very useful to him. 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

don't think I can fit 60mm rads in this case that is why I was going for standard thickness 30 FPI rads instead

well, yeah, then you might need to think about getting a bigger case. I mean you could do 6 x 120 x 45 or 7 x 140 x 30, but I assume it wouldnt fit in your current case

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

if you can fit standard thick (assuming you mean 30mm) with push pull like you said in your first post, then you can fit a 60mm in push or pull.  unless you want to run your fans at really low rpm, you'll gain more out of going to a 60mm rad over a push/pull setup on a 30mm rad.

On the otherhand, if switching cases is an option, a CaseLabs SM8 is only a few inch's bigger than the C70 (and a lot smaller than a 900D) and can fit all the rad's you need.  And its all metal as you mentioned that was an issue.  Its pretty expensive, but you have 3 Titans and are planning on getting a 4k panel as soon as its available so that doesn't seam to be an issue for you.  You'd also have space for a real pump in an SM8 and not the cpu mounted apogee thing...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

It's not a money thing I just really love the C70 so changing cases is kinda out I would put up with the noise for the style and functionality of the case I just wanted to know if it was even possible to run 3930k and 3 titans with 5-6 120mm x 30 mm rads with 4 rads in push pull but I wanted to buy those rads and the apogee anyway cause I had to rma the h220 pump already and the rads are an ugly shade of brown compared to the rest of the black in the build and the paint chips really bad for no reason and as far as switching to 60mm rads I wanted to do that originally but there is no way the single 120 is in pull only and is 34mm and it is only a few mm from the ram and the ceiling rad is 29.7mm with the fans being 25mm each it is 79.7mm total your suggestion would be 85mm and it is sooooooo close to the ram VRM 2mm max from the heat sink that and so close to the ram less than 1mm I have to remove the rad to take out the ram and I had to Dremel the fan to get it past the ATX cable lol the close up pic of the fan let's you know how tight that is if you look close at it

If worse comes to worse I will get a VRM water block and a Southbridge water block

as much as you can get into your case and also as thick as you can get.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

• 1 month later...

well I decided to screw the water cooling too much work and investment and not enough info as to whether or not it will help me achive my goal so I made a custom lexan  window and cut a hole for a 120mm in the right place (COSAIR sure as hell didn't know where to put it where it would do any good) lol and it lowered the southbridge temps as well as the temps of the 2 titans that have their intakes blocked by their neighbors so good enough for now

120mm of rad space per block would be the BARE MINIMUM, and I doubt that with just a 360 you would be able to maintain your current cpu oc. I say 360x60/480x60 and a 240x60 would be what you want.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

• 2 months later...

I mounted a pwm delta fan on b the side panel to blow air on the Southbridge works great and helps cool the titans also win win for 40 bucks and with pwm I can turn down to like 800 rpm but when temps rise speed fan can crank it as high as necessary

how about a completely external rad setup?  With quick disconnect hoses to making the moving around part easier.  I personally would look at the new case.  I have both the c70 and the 900d.  I love the C70 but it is not built to house all that rad space.   So I have seen some rads that are like 120 x 9 that some people have setup externally.  

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

I will probably buy a 900D for may next build one that can just stay in my room how do you like it btw

I will probably buy a 900D for may next build one that can just stay in my room how do you like it btw

Absolutely love it. Making some changes shortly and adding another quad. Best case I have owned.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

• 2 months later...

Here is how it looks now that I added an extra 240 rad for the cpu and the 4th titan for a 4way sli setup

mrqPCQb.jpg

and here is how it looks with the lexan window with a hole cut for my 120mm delta 4000 rpm 150cfm pwm fan controlled by speed fan linked to the gpu in the first slot as well as the Southbridge temps (got some light scratches from wiping off finger prints gonna try headlight restore)

9HSuKbZ.jpg

Edited by DakTannon

Wow.... and I thought my PC was a beast... it's a little mouse compared to yours lol!

Lol thanks I appreciate it it took me more than a year and a half to build and tune it to run flawlessly