Does Xbox One S Controller Works Wired Without The Battery ?

Go to solution Solved by unknownmiscreant,

I have an Xbox one s controller. It works with or without batteries in wired mode and any bluetooth adapter can be used. I have used internal ones in laptops, USB ones, and ones on PCIe add-in cards with 0 issues. 

Other than the stock one that came with my laptop which is very weak. Everything had issues with it, mice, keyboards, phones.

Definitely get some rechargeable batteries though. I worked out once that they pay for themselves after 4 charges. Assuming you already have a charger. Make sure to get a decent one, as it will increase the lifespan of your batteries. I can explain why if you are interested.

hey guys, 

i was wondering if xbox one s controller will work to my pc wired without the battery (i already knew its works wired, but without the battery) ?

and if it works, does it also works without pluggin the battery? (quite expensive if always had to change the battery)

If, it works then i will buy it.

Thanks Before! ;) 

PS : Never had Xbox or using its controller. Cheers~

Life Is About What We Are, Not We Were..

My not S version does no problem.

You know that the S version uses bluetooth though so you dont need the dongle any more?

When the controller is plugged into the PC, that is its power source, and having the batteries in it would be pointless as the controller is withdrawing its power from the PC. If you dont want the hassle of changing the battery, buy rechargable batteries with a battery charger, that way whenever they are flat, you can recharge them as well as keep on using them.

I used to own an Xbox 360, and having the rechargable batteries there, were a lifesaver when the current ones in the controller went flat. So, in reality, not a bad investement.

4 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

My not S version does no problem.

You know that the S version uses bluetooth though so you dont need the dongle any more?

Thanks for the quick reply,

so it does work then even without using a battery if wired..

yeah i know it had a bluetooth, but from what i've heard it doesn't works with a random/generic USB bluetooth dongle? 

it only worked with bluetooth from the motherboard (which my mobo didn't have) or a built in bluetooth like in laptop,smartphone, and stuff?

or it is just a misinformation?

6 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

When the controller is plugged into the PC, that is its power source, and having the batteries in it would be pointless as the controller is withdrawing its power from the PC. If you dont want the hassle of changing the battery, buy rechargable batteries with a battery charger, that way whenever they are flat, you can recharge them as well as keep on using them.

I used to own an Xbox 360, and having the rechargable batteries there, were a lifesaver when the current ones in the controller went flat. So, in reality, not a bad investement.

Thanks for the reply,

ahh i see so even without a battery it still works if wired, 

yeah maybe, but if it's work without a battery, then it is not a must buying rechargable kit,

cause from the beginning i only planned to just use it wired ;)

1 minute ago, Crusader325 said:

Thanks for the reply,

ahh i see so even without a battery it still works if wired, 

yeah maybe, but if it's work without a battery, then it is not a must buying rechargable kit,

cause from the beginning i only planned to just use it wired ;)

Yep, it works even without the batteries when connected via wire. xD It really comes down to how much time you spend using the controller either wired or wireless. If you predominately use it wired, like nearly everytime, then go with wired. If you predominately use it wirelessly, then investing in some rechargable batteries and a battery charger is the way to go if you constantly use the controller wirelessly. Think of it like this, do you "predominately" or "constantly" use your controller wirelessly or wired. Then decide what option would be best.

9 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Yep, it works even without the batteries when connected via wire. xD It really comes down to how much time you spend using the controller either wired or wireless. If you predominately use it wired, like nearly everytime, then go with wired. If you predominately use it wirelessly, then investing in some rechargable batteries and a battery charger is the way to go if you constantly use the controller wirelessly. Think of it like this, do you "predominately" or "constantly" use your controller wirelessly or wired. Then decide what option would be best.

Thanks! 

but one more thing though,

if i also wanting to using it wirelessly, the one s controller does have bluetooth (so it doesnt need the 40$ wireless adapter right?)

but from what i've heard it doesn't works with a random/generic USB bluetooth dongle? 

it only worked with bluetooth from the motherboard (which my mobo didn't have) or a built in bluetooth like in laptop,smartphone, and stuff?

1 minute ago, Crusader325 said:

Thanks! 

but one more thing though,

if i also wanting to using it wirelessly, the one s controller does have bluetooth (so it doesnt need the 40$ wireless adapter right?)

but from what i've heard it doesn't works with a random/generic USB bluetooth dongle? 

If it has built in bluetooth, and your Xbox does have this function as well, then it should connect wirelessly via bluetooth connection. Xbox controllers do connect to the Xbox via wireless bluetooth connection, but require batteries to do so.

So, if you want to connect to your Xbox wirelessly via a bluetooth connection, you will need batteries as a power source to power the controller.

I have an Xbox one s controller. It works with or without batteries in wired mode and any bluetooth adapter can be used. I have used internal ones in laptops, USB ones, and ones on PCIe add-in cards with 0 issues. 

Other than the stock one that came with my laptop which is very weak. Everything had issues with it, mice, keyboards, phones.

Definitely get some rechargeable batteries though. I worked out once that they pay for themselves after 4 charges. Assuming you already have a charger. Make sure to get a decent one, as it will increase the lifespan of your batteries. I can explain why if you are interested.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

2 hours ago, TheBeastPC said:

If it has built in bluetooth, and your Xbox does have this function as well, then it should connect wirelessly via bluetooth connection. Xbox controllers do connect to the Xbox via wireless bluetooth connection, but require batteries to do so.

2 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Thank you guys! you are awesome!

so yeah i'm gonna buy the controller, since my uncertainty had been answered