About what quarter to expect 2080TI Volta?

D Levy
Go to solution Solved by reniat,

time between 780 and 780ti: 6 months

time between 980 and 980ti: 8 months

time between 1080 and 1080ti: 9 months

Even if volta happens Q1 2018, I would expect the next ti card to happen no sooner than Q3. If i had to bet money, I would put the next ti card coming out late Q4 or even Q1 2019, just because i don't think volta is as close as we think. Since Vega didn't really do much to compete with the flagship level cards (doesn't even beat the 1080), Nvidia has no pressure to release volta anytime soon. Instead they just release their new 1070ti card and let the 10 series continue for a bit longer since they still hold a dominant place in the high end card market. If people are still buying 10 series, and vega didn't do much to hurt their position, it doesn't benefit them to rush out volta.

Based on how things are looking,

supposedly chips being manufactured by TSMC in this quarter.

When would you expect to see an EVGA brand 2080ti?

If initial founder cards release Q1 18.... 

when would be the time to buy a EVGA 1080ti to then utilize their step up program into an 2080ti?

The way things are, being on 980 TIs and approaching '18... upgrading to 1080ti now seems like really bad timing considering what I've read about Volta with NVlink for consumer cards.

Thoughts?

My mining journey

I'm only going off of what I've read, not coming up with anything here on my own other than maybe now is too late to upgrade from 980ti to 1080ti if Volta is happening Q1 2018.

It's a reasonable speculation based on previous trends... not too far out there to speculate semi-reasonably.

My mining journey

time between 780 and 780ti: 6 months

time between 980 and 980ti: 8 months

time between 1080 and 1080ti: 9 months

Even if volta happens Q1 2018, I would expect the next ti card to happen no sooner than Q3. If i had to bet money, I would put the next ti card coming out late Q4 or even Q1 2019, just because i don't think volta is as close as we think. Since Vega didn't really do much to compete with the flagship level cards (doesn't even beat the 1080), Nvidia has no pressure to release volta anytime soon. Instead they just release their new 1070ti card and let the 10 series continue for a bit longer since they still hold a dominant place in the high end card market. If people are still buying 10 series, and vega didn't do much to hurt their position, it doesn't benefit them to rush out volta.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

I wouldn't hold your breath. Nvidia said they weren't planning on releasing anything new this year and I would think they may wait even a bit longer due to lack of competition.

Why does it have to be a ti? What about the 2080 or whatever itll be called? That would come out earlier and still probably beat a 1080ti by a decent amount. 

What game doesnt a 980 ti handle? Are you gaming at 4k?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

1180 Ti right?

This comment has been carefully and thoughtfully posted and should be taken seriously and with a grain of salt at the same time.

1 hour ago, maizenblue said:

Why does it have to be a ti? What about the 2080 or whatever itll be called? That would come out earlier and still probably beat a 1080ti by a decent amount. 

What game doesnt a 980 ti handle? Are you gaming at 4k?

yes, it's not enough to keep up for going above 60fps. Looks like my next build is gonna have to be a 8700K 1080ti ftw3 elite (later upgrade to x2 for sli) + msi godlike.. as 2080 is too far out to utilize an EVGA step up to get just under 3 month upgrade before 2080 is released. btw current build is 6700k + two 980ti gaming g1 + gigabyte gaming g1. Could hold out another year but.. seems it's going to be maybe 1 1/2 years before significant boost. I was under the impression with the rumor mill posts.. that volta was going to be a whole lot sooner.. where it would make sense to wait. If they do a 1180 ti.. seems would be hitting diminishing returns on this gpu?

My mining journey