Is my 1080 ti really being limited by 750w psu?

Hi everyone,

So I just got asus strix 1080 ti OC 11gb and I was working to get the 2050 mhz that most people seem to be able to hit pretty easily, but while I was running furmark I was only able to push 0.9001v through my card and in the thing that denotes the limiting factor said power was my limiting factor. To note, in gpu tweak II i have the voltage target set to max (120%) and the GPU voltage % also set to max. I have two 6+2 pin power connectors powering the card. Cables are the ones from the psu box. Runs cool as a cucumber at 55C with fans at 44%. I'm using a EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE 750W that a guy at micro center said would be enough to power my system. Also when i checked my system in a power calculator it said i would only need 550w under load. Is power really my limiting factor here?

Specs

I7 7700

Cooler Master evo 212 (the like 20-30 dollar tower heat sink)

2x8gb corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz

gigabyte gaming 7 mobo

asus strix 1080 ti 

250 kingston ssd

1 tb WD blue hhd

5 case fans

1 deathadder chroma elite mouse

1 Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Black)

1 Nintendo gamecube wii u adapter (its just always plugged in lol)

no, the BIOS power limit is whats holding you back. NVIDIA have became extremely strict limits on everything like that, BIOS modding might help or might brick the card. either way doing BIOS modding on Pascal is a pain.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The card BIOS is set to 350W max so it is not your PSU.

You can try flashing to XOC BIOS (like I did on my EVGA FTW3 card) which will remove the power limit and temperature limit and will allow you to up the voltage way above the max 1.093V (I think it goes all the way to 1.2V-1.3V).

I am not sure if the BIOS will work on your card though (don't try it if you don't have dual BIOS on your card).

Also backup your current BIOS and make a lot of backups just in case.

There is the XOC I use:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByI-1K0TxosHYXVyeXdyRno0LUU

Have in mind that if it will work your card will be able to draw way above 400W power so prepare to ramp your fans up a lot if you want to keep it cool.

It seems temperamental though, some times when i start furmark it will go to like 1.055v and actually hit the desired 2050 mhz for 3 mins then downclock itself to 0.9v and like 1800~mhz, but then randomly jump back up. Oh also want to note that gpu-z was showing like 70ish% tdp while this was all happening.

9 minutes ago, EXALTED oreo said:

It seems temperamental though, some times when i start furmark it will go to like 1.055v and actually hit the desired 2050 mhz for 3 mins then downclock itself to 0.9v and like 1800~mhz, but then randomly jump back up. Oh also want to note that gpu-z was showing like 70ish% tdp while this was all happening.

That's GPU boost 3.0 for ya..

Even though voltage limit is at 1.093v, there is some voltage drop off at load.. So you'll probably never see a fully utilized card draw 1.093v, it'll drop to sth like 1.050 or even lower. And clocks will follow, of course.

clicl Ctrl+F when in Msi Afterburner to set your costum desired clock curve according to voltage.. And you'll see what you get.

See some tutorials on youtube on how to do it

Keep in mind that if you flash your bios and OC higher at 1.2v or sth, the card will draw a lot more power.. we're talking +400W with peaks upwards or 500W.. You'll need to cool it hard in order to sustain higher clocks.. You might get to 2.2hz on air, but surely no more than that. 

I can do that in asus's gpu tweak II i think or is msi afterburner a better software. Yeah I don't want/need any super nutty OC's just like standard 2050 mhz is good enough for me.

He's a screen shot of what im working with. started off hitting my desired OC but then slowly fell offimage.thumb.png.3af97270d1f59a7efd1f03895dbd984a.png

Welcome to GPU Boost 3.0

From what I've read there isn't much that you can do to stop this.  My card is the same, it will hit 2050 but won't hold.  I've only spent a couple of hours trying to OC it but imo the card is fast enough as is, so I stopped bothering to try.

Edit:  And no, it's not your PSU.  I'm running a 650w and as above get similar results.

14 hours ago, EXALTED oreo said:

Hi everyone,

So I just got asus strix 1080 ti OC 11gb and I was working to get the 2050 mhz that most people seem to be able to hit pretty easily, but while I was running furmark I was only able to push 0.9001v through my card and in the thing that denotes the limiting factor said power was my limiting factor. To note, in gpu tweak II i have the voltage target set to max (120%) and the GPU voltage % also set to max. I have two 6+2 pin power connectors powering the card. Cables are the ones from the psu box. Runs cool as a cucumber at 55C with fans at 44%. I'm using a EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE 750W that a guy at micro center said would be enough to power my system. Also when i checked my system in a power calculator it said i would only need 550w under load. Is power really my limiting factor here?

Specs

I7 7700

Cooler Master evo 212 (the like 20-30 dollar tower heat sink)

2x8gb corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz

gigabyte gaming 7 mobo

asus strix 1080 ti 

250 kingston ssd

1 tb WD blue hhd

5 case fans

1 deathadder chroma elite mouse

1 Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Black)

1 Nintendo gamecube wii u adapter (its just always plugged in lol)

Nah im in same boat as u pascal is seriously voltage limited. I only got a 750w since it was 10$ more than 650w but more headroom.

you pretty much hv a same setup as me put it that way. My card is stable at 2063mhz but wont go higher so i tend to settle approx 2038/2050mhz instead to be safer but still get relatively animous performance

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers