Can you add too much thermal paste?

Pikelet
Go to solution Solved by TARS,

Pea size right in the middle.

Also ensure the heat sink is attached properly if it’s stock, those plastic feet don’t like to pop in very well sometimes.

hi, i added a little too little thermal paste and my temps were hitting 100 so a reaplyed and im still hitting the same, any reccomendations for my cpu, i think it is pritty small??? 

Thanks for your time guys. 

Pea size right in the middle.

Also ensure the heat sink is attached properly if it’s stock, those plastic feet don’t like to pop in very well sometimes.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

What CPU and cooler?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The most common method of applying thermal paste is a pea size in the middle of the heatspreader. You can also spread the thermal paste all of the heatspreader, but that does get messy. The coolermster V8 cooler is a huge cooler in terms of size and it should do a good job of keeping temps down. Also, make sure that the cooler is properly mounted.

7 minutes ago, Pikelet said:

@Jamiec1130 i7 950 and coolermaster v8

What software is telling you the temps?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

HW Monitor

The "line method" is also common.  I find that a pea size only covers about 2/3 of the IHS.  I personally spread it all out myself.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

yes, the fans will have a spec sheet for how many hours they will last for on average. 

phone messed up meant to quote @Pikelet about the fans. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, Pikelet said:

HW Monitor

100c MAX in game... it is way too hot.

1 minute ago, Pikelet said:

@TheBeastPC can fans wear down over time?

Well, like everything in moderation, fans do tend to wear down as time goes by, I believe its how many hours they can run, or I should say the maximun amount of hours before it dies.

3 minutes ago, Pikelet said:

HW Monitor

There’s no plastic on the bottom of the cooler, is there?

Just now, Pikelet said:

NO! haha

Hmmm, try some other software such as Core Temp. It could just be false reporting. 

Hmmm, try some other software such as Core Temp. It could just be false reporting. 

k ill try...

same temps.

just wipe it off and start from scratch. take a pic with your mobile in case it happens again

1 hour ago, Pikelet said:

@TheBeastPC can fans wear down over time?

Can, but they will start to make noise long before they completely die on you.

1 hour ago, Pikelet said:

same temps.

What are you doing to get those temps? And are you sure its Celsius? 100F would be normal temps in Celsius...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, Pikelet said:

hi, i added a little too little thermal paste and my temps were hitting 100 so a reaplyed and im still hitting the same, any reccomendations for my cpu, i think it is pritty small??? 

Thanks for your time guys. 

short answer: No

if you add to much thermal paste the pressure of the cooler will push out extra paste of to the sides and that just creates a mess.

only problem with to much thermal paste is, is when it's conductive and get all over your motherboard etc.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15