Samsung Galaxy S5 to pack a 2560x1440 screen ?

Mukessh

Benchmark scores of what is supposedly the Samsung’s 2014 flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5, appears to indicate that the Korean giants are preparing to pack a 2K resolution display on the next-generation device. The Galaxy S5, as some speculate, could see an earlier release compared to previous years.

The benchmark score also lists another aspect of the device’s hardware: a 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core chipset, which is the highest clockspeed of any Snapdragon 800 chipsets in any mobile device to date. In addition to the 2560 x 1440 display, the device will also ship with Android 4.4, which should not be much of a surprise, considering that every flagship Samsung Android device will run on the latest version of Android. There is also word that Samsung may finally move away from plastic and finally adopt a metal chassis for its 2014 flagship. The Korean company has approached Taiwanese company Catcher to supply up to 30 million metal housings, as well as approaching two other suppliers.

post-9293-0-50432800-1386227059.jpg

post-9293-0-53094200-1386226893.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S5 looks to pack a 2560x1440 display along with a 2.5Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU . It is also said that it will have an metal chassis .  How on earth do they fit 2560x1440 into a display like that ? 

Source : http://www.lowyat.net/2013/12/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs-leaked-might-pack-2k-display-in-a-metal-chassis/

Apparently samsung is missing the point....

Battery life its important. More important that greater than 1080p resolutions in a phone

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It would make sense considering Samsung is fairly behind the rest of the Android phones screens. They use funky and frankly terible subpixel layouts and for red and green, there are considerably less subpixels per inch than their competitors.

I said it many times and I'm saying it again. We're reaching the point where smartphones are already powerful enough to do things we need to do on a smartphone. They should focus on efficiency and squeeze in more battery instead. 

I said it many times and I'm saying it again. We're reaching the point where smartphones are already powerful enough to do things we need to do on a smartphone. They should focus on efficiency and squeeze in more battery instead. 

^

All I need to do is call text and listen to music, maybe navigate or watch netflix. Phone games are insanely stupid and have no drive to increase power.

Larger battery, better color in screens, make it smoother, fucking get rid of touchwiz.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^

All I need to do is call text and listen to music, maybe navigate or watch netflix. Phone games are insanely stupid and have no drive to increase power.

Larger battery, better color in screens, make it smoother, fucking get rid of touchwiz.

You are literally looking at the opisite of Samsung. I suggest you try out HTC or Apple if you want an accurate screen, the phone being smooth, and a clean interface.

Just like everyone else is, Screw resolution, I want 5g and battery life.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

it will be good because they did actually manage to stuff like 4000mAh in the phone anyways, or whatever that article said. we ll see.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I thought it's going to sport the snapdragon 802.... :(   or is that reserved for the note 4?

also they better don't drop SAMOLED dues to its super hi-res screen which is ridiculous.

1080p is just the sweet spot.

I think 2k is a little crazy for a screen that small...

It's gets hard to see the pixels after 720p unless you look really closely, at least for me. We don't need 2k in our smartphones. Also battery life will be awful. Finally a metal chassis though.

This just goes to show that if we can have a 2k 5inch screen in a device that's under 600-700 bucks, than we should've able to have 4k TVs for under $1k

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

You are literally looking at the opisite of Samsung. I suggest you try out HTC or Apple if you want an accurate screen, the phone being smooth, and a clean interface.

I was thinking of grabbing an HTC, so it'll be either galaxy 5 or HTC whatever next iteration. I hate the apple os, thats why I never used an ipod. It's just awkward and small. I'm 6'2 and have large hands :3

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the new mainstream phone will have a higher display res than my monitor? wow

I really need a 4k gsync monitor...

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I find it stupid. Who was the first one to do this? Wasn't LG the first one with 2k on a phone and it was on a 4.5 inch screen? What have we heard since then? Nothing. It's not going to work. People are either going to drop Samsung and switch back to apple or another manufacterer.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

This is rather old FYI. Also 2.5k pixels, not 2k.

sysloc

This is truly the pinnacle of unnecessary. Hell, I've got no problems with my 720p screen on my HTC One X 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

I think 2560x1440 is pointless for a phone.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

This is becoming like the megapixel race in phone cameras. A bigger number to use as a marketing gimmick. The sad part is it works.

typical of samsung. they're just gonna keep upping the specs and market that as an advantage. They should really try to make the phone better and not just up the specs. But who cares, Samsung have crap quality products anyway :)

typical, trying to win the spec war and adding marketable features.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

No, just no. You should never think "this is enough" when it comes to technology. We should continue to make the hardware faster and better. I agree that TouchWiz is terrible though. There are some nice things (like their camera app is the best) but for every good thing they do, they do 10 crappy ones.

To everyone saying that 2560x1440 is unnecessary, I disagree. It is pretty easy to see individual pixels on a 5" screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 such as the Galaxy S 4. The jump to 2560x1440 is quite big so I would have liked to see something between 1080p and 1440p but I guess that doesn't really exist. If they increase the screen size yet again then I think 1440p might be pretty good.

That's assuming battery life is fairly unchanged. If they implement something like self refreshing panels then it it won't use that much more in normal usage scenarios.

It would make sense considering Samsung is fairly behind the rest of the Android phones screens. They use funky and frankly terible subpixel layouts and for red and green, there are considerably less subpixels per inch than their competitors.

I think you should do a bit more research before trying to bash a product.

1) They are behind in some areas, but ahead in some.

2) They use a variation of GRBG subpixels. There is nothing strange with their green subpixels, it's the red and blue ones that are low. They do have less subpixels per inch than most 1920x1080 phones though.

What boggles my mind is that people on a technology forum complains about better specs. Why? You sound exactly like the people in the 90's saying that 512MB of RAM in a desktop was useless, or that a 160GB HDD was useless.

You should never, ever say that anything in terms of technology is "good enough". If everyone thought like that then we wouldn't have quad core desktops with several GBs of RAM. We would probably wouldn't even have smartphones if people thought like that.

But who cares, Samsung have crap quality products anyway :)

Really? Samsung has "crap quality" product? How? They are very high quality and reliable.

oh and please keep in mind that "it feels solid" is not the same as high quality. There is more to "build quality" than just the housing.

The best thing that Samsung has in it's phones are the screen. Actually Samsung screen technology is one of the best in the world, it makes sense for them to focus on their strengths, but I would rather see them focus on build quality and overall responsiveness than just hardware specs. FIX TOUCHWIZ!!!!!!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Really? Samsung has "crap quality" product? How? They are very high quality and reliable.

oh and please keep in mind that "it feels solid" is not the same as high quality. There is more to "build quality" than just the housing.

High quality plastic that's for sure!

Samsung products are reliable?! hahah funniest joke I've heard! Their TV's are rubbish and pretty much all their products have crap quality. Don't even start on their TV's. They are terrible.