Should I get a Intel i7 8700k or 7820x

I'm looking to upgrade my computer from the older Intel i7 4790k to one if the newer processors and MB. 

Long story short, my current i7 will be a hand me down in my family due to their computer is failing. 

I mostly game and I'm looking to be future proofed for another 4 to 5 years. 

My GPU is a Zotac Nvidia GTX 1080 and my monitor is a 3440 x 1440 at 100hz be with g-sync. 

The i7 8700k without doubt, it is the new gaming king.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You lose about 100MHz every time you say the term "future proof."

Oh crap I think my boost clock just dropped.

Anyway, Get what suits you. If all you do is game, get the 8700K.

Use the money saved from not going HEDT (and selling the old chip) to get the next gen chip if your workload ever requires it over the next 4-5 years.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

The i7 8700k without doubt, it is the new gaming king.

I'm sure it will be

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

You lose about 100MHz every time you say the term "future proof."

Oh crap I think my boost clock just dropped.

Anyway, Get what suits you. If all you do is game, get the 8700K.

Use the money saved from not going HEDT (and selling the old chip) to get the next gen chip if your workload ever requires it over the next 4-5 years.

I'm not selling it. I'm giving it to my brother's computer than his will go to my parents computer since A10 in it is failing. 

Guys, i got a question.
I started sourcing parts for an upgrade a couple of months ago.
I got an Asus ROG Strix H270. And was intending to buy a i7 7700
Is Coffee Lake a no-go for that board? (thinking i7 8700, i work with large photoshop files and some light 3d modelling)
Because i have the opportunity to buy the CPU right now, but i don't want to pull the trigger if the motherboard is going to bottleneck it.

Just now, Holmes2468 said:

I'm sure it will be

I'm not selling it. I'm giving it to my brother's computer than his will go to my parents computer since A10 in it is failing. 

That's not what I meant.

I mean say you purchase the 8700K system for less overall cost since you did not go HEDT. You then discover in 2-3 years that you want more performance. Intel releases the 9700K or whatever which is a refresh compatible with your Z370. You then sell the 8700K and purchase a new chip which gives you a 10% boost and you've spent less going this route vs. X299. Just a super hypothetical example.

3 minutes ago, Pulyx said:

Guys, i got a question.
I started sourcing parts for an upgrade a couple of months ago.
I got an Asus ROG Strix H270. And was intending to buy a i7 7700
Is Coffee Lake a no-go for that board? (thinking i7 8700, i work with large photoshop files and some light 3d modelling)
Because i have the opportunity to buy the CPU right now, but i don't want to pull the trigger if the motherboard is going to bottleneck it.

1. No H/Z270 is not compatible w/ H/Z370/CoffeeLake.

2. You should start your own thread since your question is contextually different than this thread's main point.

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

That's not what I meant.

I mean say you purchase the 8700K system for less overall cost since you did not go HEDT. You then discover in 2-3 years that you want more performance. Intel releases the 9700K or whatever which is a refresh compatible with your Z370. You then sell the 8700K and purchase a new chip which gives you a 10% boost and you've spent less going this route vs. X299. Just a super hypothetical example.

Oh, okay. I get you now. What about going with Ryzen?

6 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

Oh, okay. I get you now. What about going with Ryzen?

Ryzen is solid as is its upgrade path, but the 8700K appears to beat it outright in most tasks from what I've seen across the many reviews I've watched.  Ryzen 2 (not the Ryzen refresh) could change the picture though. Basically it's going to be an interesting few years.  If you are not one to be on the bleeding edge and constantly upgrading (your 4 to 5 year plan suggests this) then I'd just honestly pick one platform and stick to it. The differences are not earth shattering.

18 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my computer from the older Intel i7 4790k to one if the newer processors and MB. 

Long story short, my current i7 will be a hand me down in my family due to their computer is failing. 

I mostly game and I'm looking to be future proofed for another 4 to 5 years. 

My GPU is a Zotac Nvidia GTX 1080 and my monitor is a 3440 x 1440 at 100hz be with g-sync. 

get it. i have yet to watch the reviews waiting for me on my youtube timeline.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

4 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Ryzen is solid as is its upgrade path, but the 8700K appears to beat it outright in most tasks from what I've seen across the many reviews I've watched.  Ryzen 2 (not the Ryzen refresh) could change the picture though. Basically it's going to be an interesting few years.  If you are not one to be on the bleeding edge and constantly upgrading (your 4 to 5 year plan suggests this) then I'd just honestly pick one platform and stick to it. The differences are not earth shattering.

I was researching the difference between the ryzen 1800x and the Intel 4790k that I currently have and the performance is about the same. Personally I like the performance of my computer currently in most games. 

Star Wars Empire at War Remake mod still gives my computer fits when I have too many ships on the map at a given time. IDK if it's a gpu or could bottleneck since it's a strategy game.