Weird HDD sound

Hey guys,

would you please help me in identifying the cause of the noise? I attached the recording. It really bothers me.

It is Seagate Barracuda 10TB Pro. It is only three months old.

Thank you for your help and input.

Martin

Hlas 005_sd.m4a

Sounds almost like your drive is dying, perhaps someone else can confirm/correct me.

If it is dying, I'd recommend backing it up ASAP. One of my friends had a drive die on him halfway through his backup

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sounds almost like your drive is dying, perhaps someone else can confirm/correct me.

If it is dying, I'd recommend backing it up ASAP. One of my friends had a drive die on him halfway through his backup

Thank you for your response. This certain type of repeating noise occurs when the after effects or Photoshop project is open. Besides that it is not that noisy, but still more than should be acceptable for a new HDD. As soon I shut down the app, it stops.

Thanks once again. Will definitely store the main data on ssd just for sure.

is that clicking noise your drive?! that...doesn't sound good, probably worthy of a warranty claim

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

6 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

is that clicking noise your drive?! that...doesn't sound good, probably worthy of a warranty claim

Yes, I went through the internals and I am pretty positive it comes from the hard drive. The repetitive sound, I mean. Guess the quiet buzzing is ok.

Sounds like the actuator is doing some major moving, but still shouldn't make that much noise in repetitive fashion.  You could do various checks, but I'd recommend calling for an RMA to return it.

Just now, Doramius said:

Sounds like the actuator is doing some major moving, but still shouldn't make that much noise in repetitive fashion.  You could do various checks, but I'd recommend calling for an RMA to return it.

And do you have any explanation on how it is even possible considering that the after effects in not installed on the hard drive? I got it installed on my ssd.

I've worked with a lot of hard drives over the past decades, that's a very bad sound. Back up now.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've worked with a lot of hard drives over the past decades, that's a very bad sound. Back up now.

Thank you for your response. Gonna copy all the essential data to my ssd. Do you know how it is possible that the sound occurs even though my after affects app is installed on the ssd drive?

1 minute ago, MRTN.J said:

Thank you for your response. Gonna copy all the essential data to my ssd. Do you know how it is possible that the sound occurs even though my after affects app is installed on the ssd drive?

I'm gonna guess it's related to data fragmentation, although I could be very wrong

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Could be, thats right. Thank you guys for your input. Gonna act asap.

Have a nice day!

much luck. Seagate used to be a great company. Sold thousands of Seagates, only ever had 1 fail under their 5 year warranty.

But that was years ago and I understand they are a pale shadow of their former self.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

That is definitely a concerning sound, sorry to hear you're having trouble here. You will want to be careful even so much as powering a HDD on when it is making any sort of clicking sounds, as doing anything with it can increase the chance of losing important data on the drive. The BarraCuda Pro drive does come with 2 free years of Rescue Services, so you may want to look into any potential coverage you may have available there. 

If needed, here is where you can check on any potential warranty information using our Warranty Validation tool. You can also get in touch directly with Seagate Support here.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming