Net for noobs

In my small town in Croatia we have explicitly copper wired network options because they find it expensive to drill some holes and replace the cables with fiber optic ones (so i've been told). Is there a way for me to lets say buy an fiber optics converter that converts the copper wire to the fiber optics cable so i can get faster and a more reliable network or there is no way to simply do it? My current down speed is 7.6 Mbps and upload is 0.45 Mbps. The funniest part is that i am paying my ISP for a down speed of 25 Mbps but they simply can't get it through to me...

I don't you can, as the cable/cobber is own by your ISP so technically you cannot modify it. 

Magical Pineapples

12 minutes ago, SeaFire said:

In my small town in Croatia we have explicitly copper wired network options because they find it expensive to drill some holes and replace the cables with fiber optic ones (so i've been told). Is there a way for me to lets say buy an fiber optics converter that converts the copper wire to the fiber optics cable so i can get faster and a more reliable network or there is no way to simply do it? My current down speed is 7.6 Mbps and upload is 0.45 Mbps. The funniest part is that i am paying my ISP for a down speed of 25 Mbps but they simply can't get it through to me...

The problem isn't the copper cable it is the modem that you have been provided by the ISP, it is probably junk or the ISP is actually limiting your area's bandwidth. Even if you do run fiber in your home you will still get only the 7.6Mbps.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

33 minutes ago, SeaFire said:

The limiting factor is the ISP it self. If they can't provide more bandwidth to you, that's what you are stuck with.

36 minutes ago, SeaFire said:

The funniest part is that i am paying my ISP for a down speed of 25 Mbps but they simply can't get it through to me...

If you are paying for a services they can't give you, there are laws about that. They can either fix it or discount your service because you are not getting 100% of your moneys worth plus back pay as well. If I were you, I would really look into this.

What is my bandwidth and how can i see it? So if i buy a new modem that wouldnt help? I have such problems with the net because like we have about 10 devices connected to the modem (not at all times) and when 2 devices are doing something slightly demanding like watching YouTube videos or playing an online game, the whole network becomes unusable for other devices or it runs veeery slowly...

Just now, SeaFire said:

What is my bandwidth and how can i see it? So if i buy a new modem that wouldnt help? I have such problems with the net because like we have about 10 devices connected to the modem (not at all times) and when 2 devices are doing something slightly demanding like watching YouTube videos or playing an online game, the whole network becomes unusable for other devices or it runs veeery slowly...

The modem they provide you needs to be 100% compatible with their technology and services. If it is not. It is faulty equipment.

7 minutes ago, Zonther said:

What is my bandwidth and how can i see it?

You can go to sites like speedtest.net to check your connection speed. 

50 minutes ago, SeaFire said:

Here is the reason you don't have fiber to the home. It's expensive to do and takes a long time to pay off the investment. I know this because a decade ago Verizon started deploying Fiber to the home. They stopped after shareholders realized that they were not making as much money they were making off of over sold copper and wireless. 

You didn't indicate what kind of internet. I'm guessing DSL which is limited based on distance from the central office. Pretty much your boned if you have DSL. If you have cable internet thru coax, then it could be a line issue, signal issue, or congested node issues. The first two can be fixed by calling your ISP, the 3rd your kinda fucked, because that involves splitting a node and your ISP might not want to make the investment. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Altering the cable won't change anything, its to do with the bandwidth that your ISP is providing eg 10/10 10/20 so you cannot physically fit anymore bandwidth down the pipe they gave you, the only way to get higher speeds would be to call them and request more bandwidth (for a price of course) and if needs be they'd have to come install a higher speed line like VDSL 

I have DSL yes, so basically im screwed :) Great. I saw another ISP offering speeds like - down 120 Mbps and up 40 Mbps over WiFi only because the receiver antena is close to the airport where i am or something like that. Could that fix the problem of slow internet and how reliable is WiFi over the cable option? 

1 minute ago, SeaFire said:

I have DSL yes, so basically im screwed :) Great. I saw another ISP offering speeds like - down 120 Mbps and up 40 Mbps over WiFi only because the receiver antena is close to the airport where i am or something like that. Could that fix the problem of slow internet and how reliable is WiFi over the cable option? 

If it is what I'm thinking of, it's just beams a signal to your home and you have a reciver and transmitter to have a connection. If it a good strong connection it will be almost as good as cable or DSL when it comes to ping. If a bad storm goes through your area or a structure is in between your house and the source it can be very bad.

15 minutes ago, SeaFire said:

With fixed wireless as an option I would go that route. Even in bad weather its more stable than DSL and on top of that, the frequencies fixed uses means your pings are usually at fiber level, dont think of this as typical wifi.