Norton Security on Motherboard Support/Download Page

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,
4 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

I see. So Norton Security isn't good at all?

Terrible.

They're always bugging you with scary red warnings that "YOUR PC IS AT RISK!!!!!1!!! PAY $59.99 TO NOT GET RAPED BY A SKARY VIRUS" when in actuality your PC is fine, and Norton just hasn't scanned it in a week, or the free trial has expired.

It takes tons of system resources, disables the built-in windows antivirus, and is hard to uninstall, and is worse than the free and light Windows Defender, which comes standard with windows.

So I recently went on my Motherboard page to check for any available BIOS updates and saw Norton Anti-Virus. http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/#osW1064

Does that mean that if I have this motherboard on and download this Norton Security, does that mean that is free and fully unlocked forever as long as I have this motherboard used?

Or is it just like a trial that I can get from Nortons own website?

Most likely a free trial, but I personally consider Norton (and McAfee) to be adware, and never worthy of installation on any system ever.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Probably just the trial version, or a 1 year license.

You shouldn't need it anyway, windows already comes with windows defender.

Also, DO NOT update your BIOS even if a new version is available unless you are specifically having system issues related to your motherboard or have CPU incompatibility.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Probably just the trial version, or a 1 year license.

You shouldn't need it anyway, windows already comes with windows defender.

Also, DO NOT update your BIOS even if a new version is available unless you are specifically having system issues related to your motherboard or have CPU incompatibility.

Well the last 2 BIOS updates have actually had huge gains in FPS. I gained 40 FPS from 80-100 to 90-140 in Heroes of the Storm without touching anything after updating the BIOS. But still nowhere close to my old 5930k that gave me 140-180FPS.

12 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

So I recently went on my Motherboard page to check for any available BIOS updates and saw Norton Anti-Virus. http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/#osW1064

Does that mean that if I have this motherboard on and download this Norton Security, does that mean that is free and fully unlocked forever as long as I have this motherboard used?

Or is it just like a trial that I can get from Nortons own website?

Why would you purposely install bloatware?

7 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Well the last 2 BIOS updates have actually had huge gains in FPS. I gained 40 FPS from 80-100 to 90-140 in Heroes of the Storm without touching anything after updating the BIOS. But still nowhere close to my old 5930k that gave me 140-180FPS.

Oh you're using ryzen aren't you...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Most likely a free trial, but I personally consider Norton (and McAfee) to be adware, and never worthy of installation on any system ever.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Why would you purposely install bloatware?

4 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Terrible.

They're always bugging you with scary red warnings that "YOUR PC IS AT RISK!!!!!1!!! PAY $59.99 TO NOT GET RAPED BY A SKARY VIRUS" when in actuality your PC is fine, and Norton just hasn't scanned it in a week, or the free trial has expired.

It takes tons of system resources, disables the built-in windows antivirus, and is hard to uninstall, and is worse than the free and light Windows Defender, which comes standard with windows.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4