fx 8300 random voltage spikes on manual V

Hi guys i have a major problem i upgraded my old pc's cpu from a athlon ii x2 to a fx 8300 new cpu, i have an asrock 970 extreme 4 board am3+ that supports the fx8300 and i have latest bios, the problem im facing is that the Voltage is all over the place, ive set everything in the bios to manual from auto my cpu voltage is 1.415v otherwise it wont boot at 4ghz.

When i have any serious load in windows the voltage jumps to 1.47-1.512 which is INSANE, the temps go nuts 70+ (i have aftermarket cooler but it cant keep 1.5v hell under control) and the cpu underclocks to 1.4ghz to drop the temp i cant use this cpu properly.

I tried resetting the bios multiple times it doesnt work, the motherboard or the CPU is doing whatever it wants it wont respect the settings i gave it manually it just spikes to dangerous volts.

Anyone has any idea what it could be? the only thing i didnt try is reflash bios but i doubt it will work.

I only have two options left either i underclock the cpu and V so that it doesnt spike to 1.5+ or i use it as it is and eventually the cpu will kill itself due to overheating/overvoltage, and probably will kill my motherboard aswell.

This is the worst investment i ever made on any new PC part ever, a scam id say, this cpu is unusable.

Any help or insight or links to other forums i apreciate thanks.

6 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Hi guys i have a major problem i upgraded my old pc's cpu from a athlon ii x2 to a fx 8300 new cpu, i have an asrock 970 extreme 4 board am3+ that supports the fx8300 and i have latest bios, the problem im facing is that the Voltage is all over the place, ive set everything in the bios to manual from auto my cpu voltage is 1.415v otherwise it wont boot at 4ghz.

When i have any serious load in windows the voltage jumps to 1.47-1.512 which is INSANE, the temps go nuts 70+ (i have aftermarket cooler but it cant keep 1.5v hell under control) and the cpu underclocks to 1.4ghz to drop the temp i cant use this cpu properly.

I tried resetting the bios multiple times it doesnt work, the motherboard or the CPU is doing whatever it wants it wont respect the settings i gave it manually it just spikes to dangerous volts.

Anyone has any idea what it could be? the only thing i didnt try is reflash bios but i doubt it will work.

I only have two options left either i underclock the cpu and V so that it doesnt spike to 1.5+ or i use it as it is and eventually the cpu will kill itself due to overheating/overvoltage, and probably will kill my motherboard aswell.

This is the worst investment i ever made on any new PC part ever, a scam id say, this cpu is unusable.

Any help or insight or links to other forums i apreciate thanks.

Maybe its a broken,or defective cpu,try downclocking and see if helps.Did you buy it new? Return it and save it for something more worth than a 8300.Could be a Motherboard issue,maybe something got extremely hot at sometime or burnt or desoldered something,you'd never know? Try reflashing your bios,means is it at the latest bios? Those voltages are extremely high.Try your old athlon and overclock it and see if it has the same issue.If I were you I would have never gone with a FX 8300,I'd have gone with a used intel cpu and some budget gtx graphics card (Tho im pretty sure im switching to a R3 1200 system)

WARNING:IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR SYSTEM BREAKS WHILE TRYING STUFF I TOLD (stupid warning again)

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Shit (and i mean that literally) VRM section "4 + 1 Power Phase Design", please upgrade to a (minimum) 6+2 or at the very least put a couple of fans on top. The FX series 8 cores are very power hungry and hot  :)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme4/?cat=Specifications

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

The situation got worse now after i did a BIOS reflash.

The cpu is 100% unstable/unusable, on default auto stock settings 3.3ghz/4.2turbo the pc restarts after 20 seconds of any serious load, 4k video/prime 95, strangeley it doesnt under aida64 stability bench and photoeditor filters that use it 100%.

I tried underclocking to 2.8ghz 3.5turbo voltage 1.35 and it still restarts itself.

The cpu is new and the motherboard worked well, a friend had it in the past with a phenom ii x4 965 that he kept at 4ghz so its insane that an fx8300 wont work with this board.

Im all out of ideas either the CPU is RMA or the motherboard cant power it, i have a 650Watt powersupply dual 4pin cpu connectors it should be able to power it, its weird.

27 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Maybe its a broken,or defective cpu,try downclocking and see if helps.Did you buy it new? Return it and save it for something more worth than a 8300.Could be a Motherboard issue,maybe something got extremely hot at sometime or burnt or desoldered something,you'd never know? Try reflashing your bios,means is it at the latest bios? Those voltages are extremely high.Try your old athlon and overclock it and see if it has the same issue.If I were you I would have never gone with a FX 8300,I'd have gone with a used intel cpu and some budget gtx graphics card (Tho im pretty sure im switching to a R3 1200 system)

Its new bought for 80$ on discount its discounted everywhere now since its the end of life. And i didnt really want to spend money on new mobo/cpu since i already tought i had a decent (old) mobo the asrock 970, it served me well.

I dont use it for gaming(rarely)  mostly coding/media/browsing/ video anime (i use svp for 60fps so it needs powerfull gpu/cpu).

Even on stock the cpu is bust, or the motherboard i dont know, its weird because it worked before i reflashed the bios, now it restarts on any heavy load. Wasted my entire day with this crap i tought its going to be an easy swap in and forget bout it but nope worst purchase ever.

17 minutes ago, Kenrou said:

Shit (and i mean that literally) VRM section "4 + 1 Power Phase Design", please upgrade to a (minimum) 6+2 or at the very least put a couple of fans on top. The FX series 8 cores are very power hungry and hot  :)

Didnt expect even at stock that this mobo cant keep an fx8300, the cpu support list has fx8300 in it, and even up to 140Watt cpu unless its complete rubbish lies listed there.

Your motherboard was not meant to take anything higher then a FX-4300, which is a 95w 4 core and you currently have a 125w 8 core (advertising is very misleading, just because it can run doesn't mean it will run well). If you do not cool the VRM section you risk burning up your system in a very literal sense, my advice to you again would be to get a better motherboard if you want to stay with that 8300. Otherwise upgrade to a Ryzen/Intel. Another thing you can try to see it it helps any is to completely reset the BIOS, turn the power and the battery off for a couple minutes.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_0129_zps6e44708c.jpg

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

8 hours ago, Strike105X said:

The asrock 970 extreme 4 should be able to work with a stock fx8300 or fx8320, its power phase delivery quality isn't exactly stellar but it isn't trash either. Its with the fx8350 or overclocking where it should be avoided.

My guess is you overladed/screwed your mobo vrm/power delivery attempting 4 ghz with the CPU, worst of all its an fx8300, which at higher clocks can be way more power hungry then any other cpu in the fx lineup. 

I think your mobo might have ended up as a lost cause, the chances of the cpu being affected are small.

I managed to fix it finally after many clrMOS and reflashes it works now without turbo boost it needs to be off, also the crashes were cause by the ram at 1600mhz weird the ram is 1600 mhz rated cl11/11/11 but it crashes so i run it at 1333.

The cpu seems fine i get 4.3ghz stable on 1.325v.

I would assume the board bios code is really bad i had asrock board in the past and it was trash literally, add the cheap power phases and yea it made it extremely unstable when i first installed it.

It was way too weird to get crashes on 3.3ghz 1.3v turbo off any power phase should feed that, and people over youtube get stable 4.5/4.6 around1.4v on most if not all fx8300 but i dont need that ~4ghz is enough for this pc.

Thanks all.

4+1 phase with Bulldozer 8 core?

Call the fire rescue team while you can

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

On 26. 9. 2017 at 3:35 PM, Kenrou said:

Your motherboard was not meant to take anything higher then a FX-4300, which is a 95w 4 core and you currently have a 125w 8 core (advertising is very misleading, just because it can run doesn't mean it will run well). If you do not cool the VRM section you risk burning up your system in a very literal sense, my advice to you again would be to get a better motherboard if you want to stay with that 8300. Otherwise upgrade to a Ryzen/Intel. Another thing you can try to see it it helps any is to completely reset the BIOS, turn the power and the battery off for a couple minutes.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_0129_zps6e44708c.jpg

Why the hell is lowside on the other side of the mobo

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

19 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Your blowing things out of proportion, up to the fx 8370 works fine on a decent 4+1 power phase design board, for instance a a gigabyte 970A-DS3P has no problem running one for years and years. The problem/firehazards are msi boards that have crappy vrm's without any protections and low quality thermal pads. Asrock at least have protections set in place for it, though they do suffer from crappy thermal pads.

PS: and if you look at the last post you will see it has been resolved and it was because of components incompatibility and Asrock's poor bios....

No it doesn't not without CPU throttling under load its been a long time issue with FX and threads upon threads at overclocker.net have had people complain. 

He has a FX 8300 that is a 95 watt CPU at stock that is what he should be running at nothing higher also he should put a fan over the VRM even asrock knows this 

as quoted on this product "For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design." 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3 R2.0/?cat=CPU

Also this user should use auto voltage and auto frequency settings voltage is not going to stay the same with turbo trying to engage same as Ryzen same as any modern intel CPU, just make sure you have the latest bios 

9 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Please read more carefully, i was referring to decent 4+1 solutions, and made a special note that even asrock boards can manage fine with some tweaking/light moding. Not to mention that the fire hazard remark mainly applies to MSI, other mobo manufacturers at least set some basic protections in place to avoid a fire hazard and them avoiding damage, at least from upper lower tier and above.

Yes MSI was the worst that's for sure but these "protections" don't always work CHEW has even showed this with the new ASUS Prime B350 plus

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Where talking about the fx platform here not ryzen. Except for msi the protection kicked in most of the cases i've seen and trottled the cpu.

What i mean was even when the ASUS board should be thottleing since you know the VRM was hitting 150C+ it wasn't i doubt older boards that didn't even include VRM temp sensors were more advanced. 

But some did throttle at safer temps around 80C which is why ASUS could get away with selling 4+1 phase boards that claimed to support the fx 8350 despite always throttleing under load. 

Anyways as i stated previously his CPU is actually fine on a 4+1 phase board but at stock since he has a 95 watt fx 8 core. 

Just install a fan over the VRM and run at stock and he is all good.