Radiator shopping. How many do I need?

Go to solution Solved by WunderWuffle,

Two 240mm radiators are more than enough for a GPU and a CPU.

I already have my loop and know for a fact I'll be switching some stuff out this Christmas as well as adding a waterblock to my r9 290. I've heard one 240mm just will not do the trick and will make my CPU numbers worse. But I shouldn't need more than 2x 240mm rads, right? I could probably fit another 140mm radiator, but I'd rather not have to spend money there and get a new cpu block and some fancy fittings instead. I'm budgeting about $300, so I should be able to grab the 290 block, a 55mm x 240mm radiator for the top (EK radiator) some 45 degree fittings, and a new CPU block. So should I compromise some things, or do you more experienced water coolers think 2 x 240mm rads will be sufficient for just a single GPU and a 3770k (@4.4ghz)? 

I was looking around the forum, and just didn't find a satisfying answer. I'm very new here, so I'm sure there are some older threads out there with a similar question. Sorry if this is an annoying duplicate, but I did look first before posting. 

A 240 would be fine for a single 290 and a CPU.

_ASSASSIN_'s rule: One 120mm for each block

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Two 240mm radiators are more than enough for a GPU and a CPU.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Err, since when is that anyone's rule?

At any rate, any rule related to radiator space is completely arbitrary because you could cool any system on a 120mm radiator, provided you had enough airflow, or your environment was cold enough. Different components also produce different amounts of heat.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Err, since when is that anyone's rule?

At any rate, any rule related to radiator space is completely arbitrary because you could cool any system on a 120mm radiator, provided you had enough airflow, or your environment was cold enough. Different components also produce different amounts of heat.

I remember him saying it :L

not actually my rule but yay

*GASP* WHAAAAAA?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Wow that was damn quick, guys! I definitely would like to fill the top of my case, so even if it is overkill, the second 240 will probably still be purchased. (also the Strykers 200mm fan is loud as balls and I'd like to get rid of it)

I'm just glad I don't have to spend another ~70 bucks and have to worry about it fitting and buying more fittings and yadda yadda yadda. Also, I was pretty dead set on an EK cpu block for around $75 or so. If I spend more money on a better block will I get more performance out of it, or is that kind of a "debate forever" kind of topic?

Another quick question I have is about fittings. I'm pretty certain I'm using 3/8 barbs right now. How compatible is 3/8 tubing with various fitting sizes? Like for example, I was planning on getting 3/8 x 1/2 angled fittings for my CPU and GPU blocks just to look pretty and have less curves to my more visible tubing. I'm assuming that works fine with 3/8 barbs and won't disrupt the flow or anything?

That sounds fair. I assume that means 60mil thick rads though? My buddy's 3960x is cooled by a closed loop 120mm rad and it gets a littler hotter than I'd be comfortable with.

That sounds fair. I assume that means 60mil thick rads though? My buddy's 3960x is cooled by a closed loop 120mm rad and it gets a littler hotter than I'd be comfortable with. 

For that thickness it should be fine. If you want to be safe, go bigger if you like! With decent airflow and good coolant transfer the temps should be fine.

For that thickness it should be fine. If you want to be safe, go bigger if you like! With decent airflow and good coolant transfer the temps should be fine.

Oh, it isn't mine. Haha. I'd love that monster, but my 3770k does everything I need and it's already cooled by one 240mm rad. I just wish he'd invest more money in cooling it. That bad boy has got to be around 70-75 degrees and it's at stock clock! It urks me. 

Oh, it isn't mine. Haha. I'd love that monster, but my 3770k does everything I need and it's already cooled by one 240mm rad. I just wish he'd invest more money in cooling it. That bad boy has got to be around 70-75 degrees and it's at stock clock! It urks me. 

Well go bigger if you want to feel safe.

Thicker rads don't give that much more of a performance boost. They just perform well at a larger range of RPMs, as well as the slight performance bump. Thinner radiators tend be be aimed to perform best with certain fan speeds.

Besides that; the actual rule of thumb (which I disapprove of) is 120 of space and 120 extra for every component. So a single CPU needs 240mm.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Thicker rads don't give that much more of a performance boost. They just perform well at a larger range of RPMs, as well as the slight performance bump. Thinner radiators tend be be aimed to perform best with certain fan speeds.

Besides that; the actual rule of thumb (which I disapprove of) is 120 of space and 120 extra for every component. So a single CPU needs 240mm.

With that in mind, I may go to a 45mm rad then. 55mm EK rad  is pushing it in this particular case.