Is there such thing as "reverse bottleneck"?

Matoro
Go to solution Solved by Matoro,

Only @AresKrieger helped, yall dont know anything

So while researching the reasons why bottle necking occurs, I wondered if the process of the gpu not getting enough information can be reversed. (If the cpu is faster than the gpu.)

I ask this because I have a gtx 970 and I want to get a i7 7700k.

That's still called a bottleneck.

A bottleneck is where one component holds back another.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

That's still called a bottleneck.

A bottleneck is where one component holds back another.

So will the i7 7700k bottleneck the gtx970?

Just now, Matoro said:

hell no 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

hell no 

And by that response, you mean that they will be far from bottlenecking and I will achieve perfect performance from my 970?

1 minute ago, Matoro said:

but it's way overkill for just a 970.... even a kabylake pentium doesn't bottleneck a 970 in most games. gamersnexus tested it recently

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

As mentioned, a bottleneck is anytime one component is holding back another component.  There can never be a "reverse bottleneck", whatever that would even be, and no matter what there always is some bottleneck somewhere because if there wasn't you would have infinite performance and fps.

And by that response, you mean that they will be far from bottlenecking and I will achieve perfect performance from my 970?

Yes, you should get unhampered performance from the 970

in this case, the 970 is your bottleneck (but then, a GPU bottleneck is the most common and usually what people shoot for).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Matoro said:

the best practice is to balance the two because one of them will always be a limiting factor. you want to have both CPU and GPU as close to full usage nott one at 100% and the other at 20%

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

As mentioned, a bottleneck is anytime one component is holding back another component.  There can never be a "reverse bottleneck", whatever that would even be, and no matter what there always is some bottleneck somewhere because if there wasn't you would have infinite performance and fps.

Yes but in my attempt to minimize the dropped fps, adding this overkill cpu will let me play at the most consistent frame rate. Correct?

Just now, Matoro said:

Yes but in my attempt to minimize the dropped fps, adding this overkill cpu will let me play at the most consistent frame rate. Correct?

if anything get a better GPU and not a CPU

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the best practice is to balance the two because one of them will always be a limiting factor. you want to have both CPU and GPU as close to full usage nott one at 100% and the other at 20%

So there will be a problem running these two components 

Just now, Matoro said:

So there will be a problem running these two components 

there won't be a problem. it's just a big sum of money to a much smaller problem.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Well, I suppose.  But at this point you could really boost your FPS by upgrading to something like a 1080

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

if anything get a better GPU and not a CPU

My cpu is dogshit I have to upgrade. I am thinking that adding the i7 7700k will future proof it until I get the gtx 1080 ti

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, I suppose.  But at this point you could really boost your FPS by upgrading to something like a 1080

This doesnt solve the problem, adding frames to my unstable cpu is not going to work.

Just now, Matoro said:

This doesnt solve the problem, adding frames to my unstable cpu is not going to work.

What is said CPU?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

what CPU are we even talking about right now?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, RKRiley said:

What is said CPU?

Some i5, it really doesn't matter anyway

Well if your CPU is unstable I'd suggest dialing back the overclock 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Its not overclocked

So the reason why a cpu being really weak while being paired with a high end cpu is that the gpu's performance is dependent on the cpu the reverse is not true however the gpu being weak would lower performance yes but it doesn't limit the cpu at all

So get the good cpu if your current one is trash

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Matoro said:

Its not overclocked

Then it must be damaged some how... have you sent excessive voltage through it?  Is it over heating?

2 hours ago, Matoro said:

Some i5, it really doesn't matter anyway

it does matter you can get an i7 for your existing board instead of buying everything new

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

he used the wrong language he just meant he and studders or something in game fps

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

it does matter you can get an i7 for your existing board instead of buying everything new

Well if it is unstable it might be the moba anyway so it might be worth just outright upgrading

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Well if it is unstable it might be the moba anyway so it might be worth just outright upgrading

yeah but bottom line it would take more investigation and it doesn't seem he realizes he has to buy a new system to buy a 7700k

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)