The Best Modern 4K Monitor/TV for Retro Gaming?

NicholeMattera

I'm looking for a new TV for my game room as my current one has quite a bit of input lag, doesn't have have a "Game" mode, and doesn't have a way to switch between 16:9 to 4:3. (Sony NSX-32GT1 - The first Google TV and it still rocking Gingerbread.) I've recently purchased a cheap SCART to HDMI converter from Amazon just to see if it's any good and it works really well on my Living Room TV. I know people will say I should use a CRT, but I do not have the room for one. Below are the consoles I have and how I'm looking to hook them up:

• A/V Famicom (Looking to HDMI mod it)
  • SNES Jr (RGB SCART)
  • Sega Genesis Model 1 (RGB SCART)
  • Nintendo 64 (Looking to HDMI mod it)
  • Playstation (RGB SCART)
  • Gamecube (Looking to HDMI mod it)
  • Dreamcast (RGB SCART)
  • Playstation 2 (RGB SCART)
  • Xbox (RGB SCART)
  • Wii (Component - I might install a GCVideo to get HDMI.)
  • Playstation 3 (HDMI)
  • Wii U (HDMI)
  • Playstation TV (HDMI)

What I've been currently looking at is the new LG 43" 4K Monitor (43UD79-B). Seeing as it's a monitor it should have fairly low latency without all the processing that comes with modern TVs that slow them down. I know I'm not going to be able to hook all these up directly to the TV at once without an HDMI switcher and SCART switcher. Has anyone else looked into 4K TVs/monitors for retro gaming and have any recommendations?

The LG monitor you're considering apparently has input lag ~21ms according to https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/a9e21ddfa. That's puts in around the TVs in game mode in the above post.

I use an 4K LG C6 OLED TV. In addition to HDMI, it has component and RCA connection. I wonder if the euro versions have SCART. Not that it matters, I guess, since you already have a converter you're happy with. I haven't done much retro gaming since getting this TV since this year's new releases have kept me busy, but since I'm not a competitive gamer, the input lag hasn't bugged me (~34ms, something that is improved with this year's C7 model to ~20ms).

I think CRT is only critical if you play light gun games. They don't work on LCD screens.

Yea I saw that page on the LG Monitor. Was curious if they put it into Game Mode to get that number or not. Just watched Kyle's video on the monitor and I like how it has a remote to go with it. Really hope Linus goes super in depth with his review.