Nvidia volta gpu tested

Giantpie12
3 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Your math is backwards btw. It’s a 42.8% increase in CUDA cores and a 50% increase in FP32/64. What you calculated was the decrease from Volta to Pascal, not the increase from Pascal to Volta. 

Do we know if clock speed has changed?  Because with those numbers, it means they're doing about 17% more with each core.  Now, how that breaks down into a clock speed change and an IPC change I don't yet know.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I disagree.  AI for games is just around the corner and it will require hardware acceleration.  The need for more GPU power will not diminish, and die size will forever be dictated by manufacturing cost vs consumer demand.  My point is simply that manufacturing cost will diminish.

We already use AI in games....

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

We already use AI in games....

Well, that's a pretty broad topic.  There's been very basic AI in games for a long time, but I think he's talking about more sophisticated stuff like machine learning and neural nets, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, that's a pretty broad topic.  There's been very basic AI in games for a long time, but I think he's talking about more sophisticated stuff like machine learning and neural nets, etc.

Yep the AI in games is very basic. Just wanted to make it clear that we already use AI and we actually have used AI in games for a long ass time. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Image result for salt

Seriously we don't need another BS guess what leaks are real run like last time, odds are all of this info is either fake, irrelevant or both so can we at least wait till some card actually is shown before guessing its performance

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Sorry but this is likely the big chip and a synthetic bench: Real world it will be a bit of a jump, maybe 10 to 20% jump in performance vs current Pascal cards but it won't "revolutionize" shit.

Because even if it did, Nvidia would just keep that big Volta chip in their back pockets and release a cut version. In Ken's own word they don't have to do much better when AMD Radeon is just so behind.

Those big jumps in performance shown are all from the Tensor cores that have nothing to do with gaming and won't even be on the gaming dies. It's no more than 50% faster since the the theoretical compute performance figures shown are just that, it won't scale perfectly of course.

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just because game devs call it AI doesn't make it AI...   Also the so called game "AI" (which is basically just a collection of if-then statements) does not require GPU acceleration.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Just because game devs call it AI doesn't make it AI...   Also the so called game "AI" (which is basically just a collection of if-then statements) does not require GPU acceleration.  

I mean, all intelligence of every kind is just a series of binary decisions like that :P It's just a matter of how many there are and how complex they are, etc.

13 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

This massive V100 die proves a point I tried to make a while back:  Large dies are the future.  We are maybe 5 years away from the limits of silicon, which most agree is around 5nm.  Eventually, yields on 5nm will be so good that it will be easy to make larger and larger dies.  They might even increase wafer size up to 600 mm or larger.  Today, 815mm² is considered massive and only for super computers, but I think we'll see consumer GPUs that size or larger, eventually.

I don't think you watched the Nvidia Volta announcement then where they stated they only get one working V100 die from an entire wafer, that's not the future of anything. You can go back through the history of both companies and look at the die sizes, neither of them have wanted to go over the 600mm2 die size and for good reason, fab yields are terrible.

Node shrinking only makes yields go up be because there are more dies per wafer. Reducing defects per mm2 is not effected by node size, not directly anyway. Those improvements come from improvements in fabrication processes and equipment.

Either way you look at it the larger the die the lower the yields and that has held true right through to today and there is no sign of that ever changing. All Volta dies in GeForce cards will be below 600mm2, that I am very confident on.

cm2..jpg

soc-chip-basics-23-638.jpg?cb=1490431068

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't think you watched the Nvidia Volta announcement then where they stated they only get one working V100 die from an entire wafer, that's not the future of anything. You can go back through the history of both companies and look at the die sizes, neither of them have wanted to go over the 600mm2 die size and for good reason, fab yields are terrible.

Node shrinking only makes yields go up be because there are more dies per wafer. Reducing defects per mm2 is not effected by node size, not directly anyway. Those improvements come from improvements in fabrication processes and equipment.

Either way you look at it the larger the die the lower the yields and that has held true right through to today and there is no sign of that ever changing. All Volta dies in GeForce cards will be below 600mm2, that I am very confident on.

cm2..jpg

Let's not forget the inherent benefit of a smaller die on top of that which is more die per wafer, so closer to a 2x the good small dies out of a single wafer

Also I appreciate you posting this as it breaks it down quite nicely with no guess work

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

cm2..jpg

Thanks for the formula.  My point is that the number of defects per unit area tend to decrease the longer a node is in production. If for example they stayed at 16nm for the next 20 years, we can safely assume defects per unit area will be a very small number.  If somehow they could get that number to zero (probably impossible), you could make a die that uses the entire wafer!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build