Are used bitcoin mining graphic cards worth it?

I just found a deal for graphic cards that were used for bitcoin mining.

Apparently, it's:

$100 for gtx 1060 (6g)

$170 for gtx 1070

$250 for gtx 1080

(Didn't state the model, looks like they're from msi from the picture)

The guy is selling in bulk so I don't know if I should find a few friends and buy them together.

Are there any potential risks for used mining cards?

if they still have the warranty

buy them

if the GPU do break you can get the warranty for them

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, gundamMC said:

Apparently, it's:

$100 for gtx 1060 (6g)

$170 for gtx 1070

$250 for gtx 1080

The guy is selling in bulk so I don't know if I should find a few friends and buy them together.

SHIT WHERE....WHERE......WHERE......WHERE......I BLOODY NEED.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

if they still have the warranty

buy them

if the GPU do break you can get the warranty for them

**Fine Print: Be sure to check that the fine print on the manufacturer's warranty (should be on their website) is transferable. You don't want to try to RMA them and they ask for "the original retailer's receipt".

Also, will you have the boxes for the cards with the bar code ('proof of purchase')?

Just some thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Eclypseon said:

**Fine Print: Be sure to check that the fine print on the manufacturer's warranty (should be on their website) is transferable. You don't want to try to RMA them and they ask for "the original retailer's receipt".

Also, will you have the boxes for the cards with the bar code ('proof of purchase')?

Just some thoughts. 

According to the seller they are within the warranty period but he wouldn't provide the invoice nor the boxes so... I guess no warranty then?

1 minute ago, Eclypseon said:

Just some thoughts. 

yea always ask for the original box and receipt when buying used where ever possible

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, gundamMC said:

According to the seller they are within the warranty period but the guy wouldn't provide the invoice nor the boxes so... I guess no warranty then?

I'm just guessing here... but I'd say it's "iffy". Double check the brand/manufacturer of the cards, and check with that manufacturer directly. You never know... but if the seller is unwilling/unable to provide the materials/documents to support your future use of the warranty, then them being "still under warranty" is pretty pointless.

You might use it to negotiate an even lower price based on that. Who knows. :P 

8 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

SHIT WHERE....WHERE......WHERE......WHERE......I BLOODY NEED.

A Chinese second-hand trading app that I can't name for obvious reasons...

1 minute ago, gundamMC said:

I'd steer clear of that.

Even if they were completely legit, those GPUs were probably mined to death. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

4 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

3 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I'd steer clear of that.

If I could AGREE twice, I would.

Stay far far away.

15 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I'd steer clear of that.

Even if they were completely legit, those GPUs were probably mined to death. 

11 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

If I could AGREE twice, I would.

Stay far far away.

Ok... No offense but what is the difference between a Chinese bitcoin mining card and an US bitcoin mining card? I get that they are probably under high-load almost 24/7 but wouldn't almost every bitcoin mining card be like that?

Just in case if there are some misunderstandings,

19 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

I was just trying not to "advertise" it on the forum, it's nothing "black market." xD

6 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

Ok... No offense but what is the difference between a Chinese bitcoin mining card and an US bitcoin mining card? I get that they are probably under high-load almost 24/7 but wouldn't almost every bitcoin mining card be like that?

I was just trying not to "advertise" it on the forum, it's nothing "black market." xD

It's hard to say how prolonged use like bitcoin mining effects gpus. It most certainly will wear out the fans but the degradation of the gpu itself might not be enough to matter or maybe it is. I personally would steer clear just because I hate taking unnecessary risks.

26 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

It's your money. Spend it how you will.

We warned you.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

It's your money. Spend it how you will.

We warned you.

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything... I'm sorry if it sounded that way, I was just curious...

My apologies.

27 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

Chinese hardcore miners have entire rows of server machines cranking out coins. They run them full blast, overclocked, right next to each other, in conditions no PC part should ever be subjected to without proper ambient cooling. They've probably been in the machines since the 10xx series came out and are unlikely to have been maintained properly (ie new paste, dusted off, given a break for a day or so). They would only sell those cards so cheap if they weren't functional or are on the brink.

That being said, a 1080 is a 1080 and with the proper care and maintenance, a new cooling block, maybe put it on water, a reflow jus to be sure...it could be salvageable. I wouldn't place my bets on it or put money to it unless I knew what to expect and was willing to put the money and effort into trying. In which case, you'd probably spend as much on the card for attempted repair as the card is worth new.

I'm game though...sign me up

Wanna see what Chinese miners do with their machines:

Yeah...I wouldn't bother with those cards  even if they turned out legit

40 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

My answer: where (China/USA/Timbuktu) the part came from *might* be immaterial. I'd still wonder about use conditions... and the Chinese are known to be pretty hardcore in their tech applications. 

The KEY THING for me was the comment about the parts still being under warranty--yet the seller not having (or not willing to give up) the additional documentation to support that claim or to support second owner use of said warranty. If a seller makes a claim, and then becomes 'shady' about supporting it... I'd begin to question everything the seller says... What if you buy a 1080 and a 1060 shows up? 

For secondhand hardware... my personal policy is buy from a reputable source (Amazon, the OEM, etc.) whom you trust to support the claims they make (else the lawyers come a'calling).

OR buy from someone close enough to you that you can go look at the hardware before buying.

@Eclypseon pretty much nailed it at the end. If they're selling in bulk and people are buying them in bulk, whos to say they even have a 1080 available? Who's to say they even care what card you personally get when they'll just ship out whatever cards sitting next to them. Hell, what if they're just getting rid of GT 210s and used some stock pics of the cards?

I believe it was Forest Gump who said "Buying graphics cards online from across the world is like a box of chocolates..."

@gundamMC 

In the end... I try to spend my money by the adage: If it looks to good to be true... it probably is.

That said, if you are a gambler, you know that the risk equals the reward. You could totally end up with a great 1080 at a bottom dollar price... or you could end up with a $250 hole in your wallet. But then again... sometimes the gamble is part of the game :) 

2 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

@gundamMC 

In the end... I try to spend my money by the adage: If it looks to good to be true... it probably is.

That said, if you are a gambler, you know that the risk equals the reward. You could totally end up with a great 1080 at a bottom dollar price... or you could end up with a $250 hole in your wallet. But then again... sometimes the gamble is part of the game :) 

I ain't a gamblin man, but I got the know-how to fix it if it's worth the time. Sadly, not the money even at these prices.

Anybody want a kidney?

Just now, dragonhart6505 said:

I ain't a gamblin man, but I got the know-how to fix it if it's worth the time

Perhaps that's like gambling with the skill to count cards... maybe rigging the gamble a bit in your favor...

I dunno... my analogy is breaking down now. :P 

Just now, Eclypseon said:

Perhaps that's like gambling with the skill to count cards... maybe rigging the gamble a bit in your favor...

I dunno... my analogy is breaking down now. :P 

I edited my post ?

3 hours ago, gundamMC said:

Apparently, it's:

$100 for gtx 1060 (6g)

$170 for gtx 1070

$250 for gtx 1080

nah won't buy lol. you have no idea how much it will fail on you later on.

i would buy brand new imo, you never know how much crap those Cards went through :o

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers