[Power Supply] Does higher capacity mean less fan noise?

minervx

Do power supplies manage heat relative to their capacities or in absolute terms?

i.e. is running a 300w system in a 600w PSU going to be quieter than 300w in a 500w PSU?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

Do power supplies manage heat relative to their capacities or in absolute terms?

i.e. is running a 300w system in a 600w PSU going to be quieter than 300w in a 500w PSU?

if the psu is of high qualti then yes. Like I use less than 400W on my evga g2 750w psu. On eco mode the fan NEVER turns on. Like I turn off eco mode to let the fan spin once in a while before I am scared it might died cause it never runs.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Depends on the PSU. The G2's fan doesn't start to spin until 20% of the PSU's wattage is drawn or temps reach a certain point.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I think it's dependant on manufacturer. Some designed the fan to ramp up based on load percentage others may do it based on temperature. Corsair has PSU's where the fan doesn't turn on until 50% load. So technically dependant on manufacturer if you use a PSU with more than what you need it'll be quieter. Although that's not a reason to run out and buy a 1200W. For most PC gamers ~750W seems to be the sweet spot for future proofing and gives the PSU that headroom to not have to overly ramp up its fan.

There are a number of factors that play into fan noise.

-Fan type (sleeve bearing fan, rifle bearing fan, fluid dynamic bearing fan... is it a Powerlogic or is it a Hong Hua... what materials were used... what lubricant... what seal... etc.)

-Fan curve (can be stupidly aggressive... looking at you EVGA G3)

-Motor noise

-Efficiency of the PSU (more efficient = generally less heat)

...and so forth.

So instead of just a blanket statement of "a 500W PSU will be quieter than a 600W one", it depends on the actual PSU itself.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

47 minutes ago, minervx said:

Different fans make different amounts of noise. If the PSU gets hot enough per the quality of components inside - specced by the manufacturer as to when - the fan will come on. On some units, particularly high-wattage very efficient units like the EVGA G2, you'll rarely hear the fan.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

47 minutes ago, minervx said:

No, because fan in bigger PSU rotate faster.

An example is the Bitfenix Whisper M series.

The lower Wattage models rotate the fan with ~400-500rpm

The higher Wattage (QUad Rail, 650W and above) the fan rotates at around 700rpm

That's under no/light load conditions.

Under higher load:

Both have the same heatsink construction.

How can two PSU with the same heatsink, the same fan controller and the same efficiency be any different at higher loads?

That's why the higher wattage models of some models can be louder than the lower wattage ones.

It can be different however, when the plattform is a different one. And the 750 or 850W one is based on a completely different design.

Than it is totally possible that the higher wattage ones can be quieter under certain conditions.

An example would be Corsair RMx -> 550 and 650W are one plattform, 750W and above another.

be quiet Dark Power Pro P10/P11-> 550-750W are one plattform, 850W and above are different.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"