iphone 8 or samsung s8

kevin cox

Excellent question and I am fighting with the same thing.

Do you use Apple for your music / movies / etc? Do you have a bunch of paid apps through them?

I feel like the S8 is too long to use comfortably but I currently have an iPhone 5 so I think anything is going to feel funny to me.

5 minutes ago, kevin cox said:

iphone 8 or samsung s8

an iphone8 = a samsung 6.

So yeah...

I prefer iOS so the 8 has my vote.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you're invested in apple's ecosystem i.e paid apps,services, or even any other hardware like Macbooks etc, I'd swing towards the iPhone for convenience.

I prefer IOS personally and I've opted for the iPhone 8+ this year as an upgrade from my 6S.

Flip a coin, if you're disappointed by the outcome you know which you really wanted.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

In what way?

OP, I'd say it all depends on how you like/liked your current phone and what OS is better for you.

All of the iphone 8's "NEW" features are on the Galaxy S6 and older.
Not to mention that an android phone isn't monopolized by a company that tries to find new ways to milk their customers with every iteration of their phone.
Example: removing the headphone jack to force people to buy/use an adapter.

2 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

Not to mention that an android phone isn't monopolized by a company that tries to find new ways to milk their customers with every iteration of their phone.

You mean the adapter that came in the box with the iPhone 7?

Also, it's not a monopoly if there's options. Apple controls their ecosystem for a reason: tight optimization and OS support. Many Android phones until recently were notorious for not having much in the way of support.

You also don't have to buy a phone every year. Some will ride their phone for as long as they can until they die, but generally many people are willing enough to buy a phone every year, Apple or not.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, scighera2 said:

It's apples and oranges. Its all about your experience, features are pretty irrelevant. It's relevant to each individual.

I'll use whichever device gives me the best featureset for me personally regardless of who manufactures it.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

You mean the adapter that came with the iPhone 7?

Also, it's not a monopoly if there's options. Apple controls their ecosystem for a reason: tight optimization and OS support. Many Android phones until recently were notorious for not having much in the way of support.

You also don't have to buy a phone every year. Some will ride their phone for as long as they can until they die, but generally many people are willing enough to buy a phone every year, Apple or not.

I know, I'm not saying that apple products are bad. 
However the main reason I'd never get them is that their new features are never "new"

The iPhone 8 is very uninspiring. It should've been called the iPhone 7s because that's what it basically is, but no. The S8 has my vote unless you're really settled in the iOS ecosystem.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i like my samsung s8. great phone, but it does have its issues here and there. i would see how the Pixel 2 XL and non-XL fare tho 

I personally think that ios is one of the worst peaces of software ever created because of the lack of freedom and customisation.  

The only thing that I like about it is the fact that it actually works on so weak hardware. 

But it depends on what your after if you want a more powerful more free and more features go with the s8 but if you don't care about software and hardware or have other apple products go with the iphone 8

Just now, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

What do you like about ios 

Generally works with less issues. My SE has had numerous updates and still runs quickly, without stalling, and syncs up to my SanDisk wireless USB without issue. My Note 5 for work sucks. They removed the SD card slot forcing me to put an SD card in the Griffin case with an OTG cable for more storage and making me select the SanDisk drive manually for use every time. There's also OneDrive (also on Android) that I make use of for more storage, but the Note doesn't seem to keep the program open for backups. 

I also like buying my music on iTunes and Amazon vs any other medium so that my library is available from as few places as possible. I'm currently using iTunesFusion to sync my two phones and the music and movie sync goes well for the most part until the Note decides that the OTG isn't connected. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers