Quebec will be getting the SNES Classic - Restriction Lifted

GoodBytes

On Twitter today, Toys R Us Canada reveals that the province of Quebec (in Canada), will be getting the SNES Mini after wall. This was also confirmed by the big gaming retailer: EB Games (It is GameStop in Canada, just a different name). The company says that Nintendo has pulled the restriction from blocking retailers from selling the console to the region. Nintendo has yet to explain the reason for the restriction.

That said, Toys R Us says that there will no pre-orders availible for the Quebec region. No information on this from EB Games.

Source (French): http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/09/18/la-snes-classic-edition-sera-vendue-au-quebec

The lack of pre-order might be because retailers might not be able to get enough supplies to meet pre-orders.

The story behind the restriction, and this just my guess, might be because Nintendo didn't yet get all the approvals internally in complying to all the provinces red-tape in selling a product there. Companies still put effort in selling a product in the province of Quebec due to the great population size. A market segment that can't be easily ignored.

Nice, good to see that resolved :)

Was gonna ask "did we ever figure out why though?

Guess this answers it

Nintendo has yet to explain the reason for the restriction.

I have to wonder if it was even maybe just a mistake lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I thought I had read it wasn't going to be sold in Quebec because it wasn't available in French or something. Perhaps I'm misremembering.

32 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I thought I had read it wasn't going to be sold in Quebec because it wasn't available in French or something. Perhaps I'm misremembering.

We don't know. It was believed this.. but then pictures of the box shows French on it. And there is a French option in the console. It was believed to be the a or some games with the NA release of the unit. But, and this is my only guess, either there was a bug with the early batch Nintendo fixed it in a later batch where games were not in French (doubt it), or Nintendo was waiting for approval internally with their localization team and layers on great amount of red tape the province has (possible), or something else... so far it is all guess work. And I highly doubt Nintendo will reveal any details. 

What happened before? What were the restrictions for? o.O 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What happened before? What were the restrictions for? o.O 

We don't know. All we know is that Nintendo was selling the SNES Classic in Canada, and the same regions as the NES Classic, with the exception of the province of Quebec this time. NES Classic had no problem selling in Quebec, but the SNES Classic was blocked. Nintendo set a restriction to block all retailers online and physical stores, prohibiting them selling or shipping any SNES Classic to Quebec.